Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

Can confirm.  Growlers were offered to a few Vance bubba's who were IFF complete.  Only one of them took it, the others turned it down for various reasons.  The guy who took it was an old student of mine.  Sounds like a 3 year gig out at Whidbey with a 5th gen follow on is what he was told (not promised mind you, just told).  Haven't heard anything about it dropping out of UPT though.

On the UPT note I heard an interesting rumor about the drops changing significantly for a while.  I guess the DLF OG said something along the lines of only 1 fighter per class from now on.

3 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Can confirm.  Growlers were offered to a few Vance bubba's who were IFF complete.  Only one of them took it, the others turned it down for various reasons.  The guy who took it was an old student of mine.  Sounds like a 3 year gig out at Whidbey with a 5th gen follow on is what he was told (not promised mind you, just told).  Haven't heard anything about it dropping out of UPT though.

On the UPT note I heard an interesting rumor about the drops changing significantly for a while.  I guess the DLF OG said something along the lines of only 1 fighter per class from now on.

Valid. They're not supposed to be dropping any direct from UPT. No changes for studs to be adding them to dream sheets, yet. AF dudes flying the growler won't be boat qual'd.

Leadership had a sit down with the -38 studs at END today and told them oprah is all out of vipers and to expect increased "opportunities" to fly other aircraft, but to not expect any MAF assets to drop. Basically, studs actually have to work hard to earn a fighter now.

GMAFB. This again? Fvck! When’s the next RIF being announced? Since we are obviously not learning any lessons from the last sh!tstorm we created.

Believe it when you see it, I don't know how many times I was told something wouldn't happen and it did.  The OG's are usually in the know, but I've seen the request for F-16 B course and I don't think there is a slowdown in the near future.

3 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

Believe it when you see it, I don't know how many times I was told something wouldn't happen and it did.  The OG's are usually in the know, but I've seen the request for F-16 B course and I don't think there is a slowdown in the near future.

We'll see next week when the drop comes down.. Although who knows how long this supposed fighter drought will last. 

1 hour ago, Boomer6 said:

Valid. They're not supposed to be dropping any direct from UPT. No changes for studs to be adding them to dream sheets, yet. AF dudes flying the growler won't be boat qual'd.

Leadership had a sit down with the -38 studs at END today and told them oprah is all out of vipers and to expect increased "opportunities" to fly other aircraft, but to not expect any MAF assets to drop. Basically, studs actually have to work hard to earn a fighter now.

Why am I not surprised. 

Oh, maybe it's because Big Blue has been F'in it away like this for decades.

9 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

AF dudes flying the growler won't be boat qual'd.

Hmmm.  So it essentially turns into a 3 year ALFA with little upside.

Wonder if Big Blue can spell “incentive”.  We wouldn’t be getting Growler spots if it wasn’t beneficial to the navy, but obviously not benefiting enough to cough up a boat qual course here and there.

Can’t blame dudes for saying thanks but no thanks.

15 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Before y’all get too excited, remember they stood up that community with E-6b bubbas. 

They served a valuable purpose, but weren’t exactly the sharpest knives and didn’t run push it up fighter squadrons (socially). 

In general they've come a long ways in the last 5 years. A lot of the old E6 guys are gone and there's a lot more Hornet influence in the community. The HVAA mindset is nearing death. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, brabus said:

In general they've come a long ways in the last 5 years. A lot of the old E6 guys are gone and there's a lot more Hornet influence in the community. The HVAA mindset is nearing death. 

Some squadrons are better than others, but I wouldn't say that mindset is near death though. 

41 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

1 fighter per drop? Lol. Get ed big blue. Get ed. 

But please bitch more about your fighter pilot shortage 

I'm willing to bet it's in response to the B-Courses being backed up/critically manned.  The UPT pipeline is more or less broken right now, we finally got AETC to sign off on a maximum class size because we couldn't keep up with what they were trying to do.  We had to prove that until we get more manning we can't produce more (yea we all get that without more pilots we can't generate more IP's).  And from the rumors I've heard about Holloman and it's manning, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing something similar.

1 minute ago, YoungnDumb said:

I'm willing to bet it's in response to the B-Courses being backed up/critically manned.  The UPT pipeline is more or less broken right now, we finally got AETC to sign off on a maximum class size because we couldn't keep up with what they were trying to do.  We had to prove that until we get more manning we can't produce more (yea we all get that without more pilots we can't generate more IP's).  And from the rumors I've heard about Holloman and it's manning, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing something similar.

I drop next month and we were pretty much told it was for this exact reason. The b-courses are backed up with not enough manning to support the surge of fighter drops. It’s almost like basic math could have told them this would happen. I’ve been in long enough to experience this “full-on or full-off” knee-jerk reaction from the AF a few times. 

I drop next month and we were pretty much told it was for this exact reason. The b-courses are backed up with not enough manning to support the surge of fighter drops. It’s almost like basic math could have told them this would happen. I’ve been in long enough to experience this “full-on or full-off” knee-jerk reaction from the AF a few times. 

This is nothing new either which is frustrating seeing young guys like yourself get to experience what I got to go through after the Oprah giveaways in the early 2000’s. Just when you think they learn something they prove just how stupid they are.

We sent way too many kids to fighters that had no business being there when I was a UPT IP and now there will be good deserving guys be the unfortunate victim to AF piss-poor planning. Yeah, it’s not about “what you want” and “service before self” applies, but what a way to ensure good guys don’t stick around, giving them this experiences early in their careers.

Sucks man. Best of luck going into drop though!
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FishBowl said:

Hmmm...so lets do some math.  Theres a whole squadron at HMN with jets and few if any IPs, so they're still ramping up.  The leading edge of the production surge is going on a year in their ops units, pushing out the experience before them.  And last but not least, if only there were somewhere to park IFF grads for two to three years while the rest of the pipeline gets up to speed.  If only...

Haha, nevermind, lets shut off IFF drops.

• Like 1

Hmmm...so lets do some math.  Theres a whole squadron at HMN with jets and few if any IPs, so they're still ramping up.  The leading edge of the production surge is going on a year in their ops units, pushing out the experience before them.  And last but not least, if only there were somewhere to park IFF grads for two to three years while the rest of the pipeline gets up to speed.  If only...
Haha, nevermind, lets shut off IFF drops.

It didn’t work the first time we tried it or the second time but I’m sure this time will be different!

1 hour ago, YoungnDumb said:

Everything old is new again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFM this said:

And last but not least, if only there were somewhere to park IFF grads for two to three years while the rest of the pipeline gets up to speed.  If only...

Let's not, already spent 5 years in Enid, I don't think I could take 3 more.

3 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

1 fighter per drop? Lol. Get ed big blue. Get ed. 

But please bitch more about your fighter pilot shortage 

I doubt it reverts back to low fighter drops. As far as I'm aware, only 16s are backed up.

5 hours ago, FishBowl said:

Same thing happened to us circa 2011; no fighters because B-course is backed up.  Glad to know we learn from our mistakes...