Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

50 minutes ago, Hawg15 said:

IFF isn’t the filter that it was back in the day

What's sad is that UPT used to be a filter in and of itself.  It was a mistake to push that responsibility off on IFF so that UPT Wing Commanders could get themselves promoted based on their percentage of successful student graduation.

Thus IFF became both a choke point and a single point of failure...and it sounds like IFF has succumbed to a similar cancer as UPT.

Someone has to hold the line at some point.  If they don't, then we're going to have smoking holes and flag-draped caskets.

Oh, surprise, surprise.

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

Big whoop. I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. 

Lol so the guy graduating the course, graduating the B course, finishing MQT, and completing a combat deployment doesn’t pass your standard? Wtf does?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Lol so the guy graduating the course, graduating the B course, finishing MQT, and completing a combat deployment doesn’t pass your standard? Wtf does?!

I just googled “fuckin new guy” to find some funny meme to post. Low SA...wish I could take that search back. 

Edited by brabus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Sarcasm detector inop?

Though, my cynicism is rooted in the fact that all the people who went through the initial PTN program were well above average performers to begin with, who were cherry-picked specifically for that program. It was a “no-fail” program from the beginning, so of course the AF is gonna be quick to publicly tout its success and use it as a justification for further reducing sorties in UPT (UPT 2.5, anyone?). Just another excuse for the AF to cut corners trying to fast track its “leadership creation” problem.

In all seriousness, good on this particular guy/gal. Not saying it isn’t a small feat, because it definitely isn’t. Any one of us who’s done it before knows this. 

If we weren’t talking about PTN/VR then my bad, I’ll go back to drinking my stale coffee, eating my Raisin Bran and getting on to the snacko for not keeping the snack bar stocked.

Old guy rant over, back on topic.....

Edited by WheelsOff
  • Upvote 1

Sarcasm detector inop?

Though, my cynicism is rooted in the fact that all the people who went through the initial PTN program were well above average performers to begin with, who were cherry-picked specifically for that program.

Imagine if you will, a place where the Air Force could groom top quality pilot candidates, educate them on flight maybe in their late teens/early 20’s....get America’s best by offering a free 4 yr education. We could call it, maybe an “Academy” or something.

Seriously, I’ve railed on this before. Why isn’t our academy and flight screening getting us people who can kick ass?

I’ve had academy grads (and ROTC) teaching at UPT I’d gladly trade for the high school educated quarterback at my B-8 football school because that guy working at the local grain elevator had more leadership and pilot potential than the band-geek-chess-club Academy grad.

Part of the problem is we aren’t getting America’s best through our commissioning sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Quoted for truth.

I’ve had academy grads (and ROTC) teaching at UPT I’d gladly trade for the high school educated quarterback at my B-8 football school because that guy working at the local grain elevator had more leadership and pilot potential than the band-geek-chess-club Academy grad.

11 hours ago, di1630 said:

Imagine if you will, a place where the Air Force could groom top quality pilot candidates, educate them on flight maybe in their late teens/early 20’s....get America’s best by offering a free 4 yr education. We could call it, maybe an “Academy” or something.

Seriously, I’ve railed on this before. Why isn’t our academy and flight screening getting us people who can kick ass?

Part of the problem is we aren’t getting America’s best through our commissioning sources.

Two reasons:

1- The academy has prioritized social justice initiatives such as racial/gender diversity, feelings and wokeness over actually building intellectual warriors capable of leading this Air Force.  Any grad knows exactly what I’m talking about.  Heck, you’re not even allowed to make a freshman do more than 6-9 pushups and recognition is a thing of the past.  

2- Not properly pushing the value of being a Pilot.  Now I believe they have realized their mistake but a few years ago; they did everything that they could to prop up the RPA and cyber career fields.  I heard permanent party would actively discount being a Pilot and as a result, they have had trouble even filling every pilot slot.  

The academy has so much potential but it has been ridden with shoe clerks and social justice warriors.  Now, imagine if the academy used the full potential of its flying programs.  You could essentially have more effective UPT students in PTN/2.5 whatever they are calling it as some of the airmanship required of an Air Force Pilot could already be instilled. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PeggyDriver46
23 minutes ago, Pete71 said:

Hi, sorry if this is a little off topic, but according with the Columbus AFB site, the 48th Squadron trains pilots for B-1, B-2 and B-52 in the T-1 track:

https://www.columbus.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/1094098/alley-cats-focus-on-people-accomplish-mission/

Is this correct? I had understood that all bomber guys come from T-38 track.

This is a f*** up on PA's part. I know for a fact you don't get B-1s or B-2s out of T-1s as a UPT student, and once in a great while you'll see a buff that's usually from some sort of Joint Spouse drug deal. FAIPs can sometimes swing a B-1 or a buff at the conclusion of their assignment, and they have their own B-2 board that they can apply for. 

Edited by LoveDumpster

This is a f*** up on PA's part. I know for a fact you don't get B-1s or B-2s out of T-1s as a UPT student, and once in a great while you'll see a buff that's usually from some sort of Joint Spouse drug deal. FAIPs can sometimes swing a B-1 or a buff at the conclusion of their assignment, and they have their own B-2 board that they can apply for. 
PA probably used an ancient fact sheet; the T-1 originally was supposed to support the bomber track as well.

That being said, it's still their screw up, as the latest fact sheet on AF.mil shows airlift/tanker only (or just walk across the street and talk to ops), so bad on them.