Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

On 7/18/2018 at 11:54 PM, skibum said:

Heavy in CAF has been around a while, but an E-3 is a bit of a kick in the nuts. Unlucky is an understatement. I'm thinking multiple DUIs and caught with a tranny prostitute.

FY18 is a new animal. We have 3/7 going to ACC heavies. They told us 1-2 fighter and no AMC 

Edited by FishBowl

1 hour ago, IDALPHA said:

^^ This ^^

Well it's not quite, everybody gets a MQ-9 bad but it's definitely not FY17 good where everyone and their mother was getting a fighter. 

9 hours ago, skibum said:

Heavy in CAF has been around a while, but an E-3 is a bit of a kick in the nuts. Unlucky is an understatement. I'm thinking multiple DUIs and caught with a tranny prostitute.

AMC got tired of sending T-38 trained dudes back to UPT. With bottlenecks at fighter FTUs, in steps AFSOC and ISR to replace the void. 

EN 18-07

Active
AC-130x1 
MC-130x1
F-15Ex3 
B-52x1 
T-38 FAIPx1 
F-35Ax1 
F-16x2 
EC-130x1 
F-15Cx1 
U-28x1
T-38Ax1 
A-10Cx1 
E-8x1 

Reserve
F-15Cx1
A-10Cx1

Foreign
Dutch F-16x4
RCAF CF-18x2

Edited by Sparkle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dmginc said:

Lol my bad, I should have clarified (though I've now looked it up and realized how retarded it was).  I was thinking 1-2 fighters per drop for 38's, and the rest being 130's, FAIPs, or U-28's, and then no AMC for the T1 guys, but I didn't realize tankers were part of AMC.

Uhh what? 

7 hours ago, dmginc said:

Lol my bad, I should have clarified (though I've now looked it up and realized how retarded it was).  I was thinking 1-2 fighters per drop for 38's, and the rest being 130's, FAIPs, or U-28's, and then no AMC for the T1 guys, but I didn't realize tankers were part of AMC.

Oh, this could get rich.

You have no idea what you are talking about, at all.

1 hour ago, dmginc said:

I should have put down the beer

You're old enough to drink, you're on this forum, and you didn't know tankers were AMC.  Much to learn have you.  I recommend less output and more input.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dmginc said:

No, you're right.  I'll own it.  I should have put down the beer and google'd it before posting.  For some reason I thought AMC was only C-17's, C-5's, C-21's, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.  Thought tankers were their own thing.

A SAC warrior at heart, that's all. NBD.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

Reading through the posts, I'm somewhat shocked by the JSTARS, but the ACC heavies thing does make sense. Is this a long-term strategy, to make all ACC heavies go through T-38s or are they still going to drop those from T-1s as well?

They’re dropping from T-1s primarily. As a T-38 student now in JSTARS, I can tell you almost none of the 38 syllabus carries over into this airframe. They don’t even let us talk on the radio while “monitoring the autopilot” 🙄

• Haha 2

I think if you’re flying you should talk on the radio.  I’m curious why people teach/practice the other way.  

Standard in the Herk community. Although after doing this for a while, it does get annoying to have to (for example) tell the co “tell them we’re ready for lower” when you’re PF and want to descend.

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I think if you’re flying you should talk on the radio.  I’m curious why people teach/practice the other way.  

Because crew duties in the -1 says the PNF is there to get the ATIS and talk on the radios.

Edited by LookieRookie

7 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Because that's standard PM duties across all crew (civil and military) aircraft I'm aware of.

I remember being a new 130 CP and talking on the radio while the other guy flew.  If anything unusual happened, the pilot spent time telling me what to say then I’d say it.  To me it’s CRM degrading.  Anyway, when I was a 130 IP I liked to have the PF talk.  Every CP seemed to prefer it, and we’d stay engaged by swapping legs.

When I went to fly something  more tactical, the standard was PF talks because there’s a lot for the PNF to do.  It makes sense if the PNF is busy.

Understand it’s a standard in many communities and been done that way forever.  Not sure those are good reasons to continue, so I was curious what the advantage is to that method.  Sounds like “keeps the CP awake” is it?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

I remember being a new 130 CP and talking on the radio while the other guy flew.  If anything unusual happened, the pilot spent time telling me what to say then I’d say it.  To me it’s CRM degrading.  Anyway, when I was a 130 IP I liked to have the PF talk.  Every CP seemed to prefer it, and we’d stay engaged by swapping legs.

When I went to fly something  more tactical, the standard was PF talks because there’s a lot for the PNF to do.  It makes sense if the PNF is busy.

Understand it’s a standard in many communities and been done that way forever.  Not sure those are good reasons to continue, so I was curious what the advantage is to that method.  Sounds like “keeps the CP awake” is it?

Agreed, if the PF is task saturated it’s definitely helpful to delegate radios to the PNF (or other tasks for that matter) but 99% of the time it seems to make more sense to keep the radios with the PF. 

This appears to be a fairly "mil-centric" discussion.  So, as someone who has only flown crew aircraft on the civilian side, I'm finding what seems to be a PF talking on the radio preference a surprise.  Maybe there's some mil specific situations that are driving this we airline guys don't deal with.  But, just flying A to B?  If we threw an equal number of airline guys into this thread, you'd be hard pressed to find any of them who would want the PF talking during normal ops.  So, I'll just throw this out for the sake of discussion and another viewpoint.

I'd vote PF does not talk on the radio.  If the PM (that's "pilot monitoring" - i.e. PNF in airline speak) isn't talking on the radio, what's he doing?  I think it does help him stay engaged and also tends to force some dialogue on items like wx deviations, climb/descent requests or any other changes to the status quo.  A PF who also has the radios is probably more likely to make a unilateral decision and request a course of action with ATC while not conferring with his PM which is going to degrade CRM.  As the PF, asking the other guy to request a descent or some other routine request is really not that inconvenient.

A non-normal or emergency situation, is about the only time you'll see airline guys having one pilot do the flying and talking.  It's very common in the airline world to give the radios and the aircraft to the FO while the Captain does some battle management, runs checklists, confers and gathers info from various sources and evaluates options.  He then presents the options to the FO for his input, makes a decision and depending on the circumstances, maybe take the a/c for landing or continue to monitor while taking the radios back from the FO.

• Upvote 1

Unnecessary, extraneous interplane chatter as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather spend that dead-air time talking about something meaningful like what kind of hot pockets the crew is whipping up.