2x C-146 Duke Field (Reserve)
C-17 MS ANG
C-130J Dyess
KC-135 McConnell
T-1 FAIP
C-130J Ramstein
KC-10 Travis

9 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

There was a T-38 FAIP from CBM to DLF also. 

The Red Bulls need FAIPs so AFPC gave them their pound of flesh from END and CBM.

Yeah, when significant numbers of UPT IPs coming to 38 squadrons keep going to 88s/89s at PIT and take a month to get through TI with multiple TI cert attempts I'd want more FAIPs too. We're not teaching perch anymore so that's one less thing to hook for. 

I'm actually curious how DLF found themselves in such a FAIP shortage? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

Yeah, when significant numbers of UPT IPs coming to 38 squadrons keep going to 88s/89s at PIT and take a month to get through TI with multiple TI cert attempts I'd want more FAIPs too. We're not teaching perch anymore so that's one less thing to hook for. 

I'm actually curious how DLF found themselves in such a FAIP shortage? 

Not teaching perch anymore?

7 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Not teaching perch anymore?

Under the recent “syllabus revision”, perch setups are no longer a required item in T-38s, along with formation landings and several other items. Don’t worry though, we also cut the number of rides in the syllabus along with the solos to get these new pilots out to the CAF even quicker. Good thing we’ve re-defined it as a “pilot production problem” 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, moabust said:

Under the recent “syllabus revision”, perch setups are no longer a required item in T-38s, along with formation landings and several other items. Don’t worry though, we also cut the number of rides in the syllabus along with the solos to get these new pilots out to the CAF even quicker. Good thing we’ve re-defined it as a “pilot production problem” 

Oh good. Just more things the FTU has to teach. What could go wrong?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Oh good. Just more things the FTU has to teach. What could go wrong?

And more things the CAF has to teach...why am I having to teach a kid how to fly an ILS, do a normal landing and fly basic formation in the CAF? The AF is a leading expert on kicking the can down the road and refusing to acknowledge quality short comings. I hope FTU washout rates significantly increase - they certainly need to.

Honest question for the FAIPs: Would going to another base really be that bad? Change of scenery, new way of operating, etc?

I was thinking about that as I perused this thread during my morning constitutional and it honestly sounds better than just staying in the same spot.

Kicking the can seems to be the trend, how will it manifest down the road. 

Honestly I think it is good to revisit the syllabus from time to time, but when you push basic flying tasks to the operational unit that comes at a cost to MR training.  My bigger fear is we have lowered the bar and it we will see the accident rate spike.

5 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Honest question for the FAIPs: Would going to another base really be that bad? Change of scenery, new way of operating, etc?

I was thinking about that as I perused this thread during my morning constitutional and it honestly sounds better than just staying in the same spot.

I think it’s less to do with moving than it is where they were moving from and to.

It’s cool being chosen to Faip by your peers and then getting to work with them, you know everyone before you even start, you’re comfortable with the local flying already, not moving means you can hit the ground running...just a couple reasons I wouldve been pissed to leave for another base.

7 hours ago, pilotguy said:

It’s cool being chosen to Faip by your peers and then getting to work with them, you know everyone before you even start, you’re comfortable with the local flying already, not moving means you can hit the ground running...just a couple reasons I wouldve been pissed to leave for another base.

Well, you could go fly an E-3...

16 hours ago, Inertia17 said:

Well, you could go fly an E-3...

Ah, the standard "it could always be worse" argument seems to be a favorite of big blue, definitely a favorite of the kind of ppl telling us we're easily replaced. 

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2018 at 7:55 AM, ClearedHot said:

Kicking the can seems to be the trend, how will it manifest down the road. 

Honestly I think it is good to revisit the syllabus from time to time, but when you push basic flying tasks to the operational unit that comes at a cost to MR training.  My bigger fear is we have lowered the bar and it we will see the accident rate spike.

This is my biggest fear.  There was no coincidence between the sudden spike in pilot related accidents and the sequestration of 2013.  I remember having to shove 8 copilots on a 2 hour pro sortie to get their monthly takeoff, approach and landing.  We cannot keep doing more with less and cutting basic pilot proficiency.  The bean counting cucks will never learn.  

Not sure why faiping is so frowned upon. There is no assignment better for a future airline career than T-1 FAIP

1200 multi engine instructor hours in 3 years to start your career is gold

Edited by pilotguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pilotguy said:

Not sure why faiping is so frowned upon. There is no assignment better for a future airline career than T-1 FAIP

1200 multi engine instructor hours in 3 years to start your career is gold

Yes, but is that what a SUPT graduate should aspire to?  Maybe aspire is not the right verb but just my two cents that everyone just getting their wings at SUPT should be chomping at the bit to get to the operational side of the AF.

No offense directed in anyway at anyone who did FAIP or will be FAIP'ed.

13 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Yes, but is that what a SUPT graduate should aspire to?  Maybe aspire is not the right verb but just my two cents that everyone just getting their wings at SUPT should be chomping at the bit to get to the operational side of the AF.

No offense directed in anyway at anyone who did FAIP or will be FAIP'ed.

Ya it can go both ways for sure but I’d rather get 1200 instructor hours and lots of airmanship before heading off into the real Air Force. Especially when they cut the syllabus in half. You’ll get more than your fill of the operational world. They got you for 10 long years...What’s the rush?

Edited by pilotguy

2 minutes ago, pilotguy said:

I’d rather get 1200 instructor hours and lots of airmanship before heading off into the real Air Force. Especially when they cut the syllabus in half. You’ll get more than your fill of the operational world. What’s the rush?

The needs of the AF and to fulfill our military missions for the Joint Force Team.

Not sure if you are trolling or not but serious question:  

Do you think you will or would have more airmanship and particularly military aviator airmanship after a tour as a 3 year 1200 hour FAIP operating out of the same base and generally within about 1-2 hours flight time of that base and some CONUS TDYs or 4 year 2000 hour Instructor Pilot of an MWS (assuming heavy) who would have learned a new more complicated aircraft, more new mission sets, been on multiple overseas deployments, operated with different Air Branches & foreign AFs, mobility missions, alert force duty, large force exercises, business efforts, etc... ? 

The needs of the AF and to fulfill our military missions for the Joint Force Team.
Do you think you will or would have more airmanship and particularly military aviator airmanship after a tour as a 3 year 1200 hour FAIP operating out of the same base and generally within about 1-2 hours flight time of that base and some CONUS TDYs or 4 year 2000 hour Instructor Pilot of an MWS (assuming heavy) who would have learned a new more complicated aircraft, more new mission sets, been on multiple overseas deployments, operated with different Air Branches & foreign AFs, mobility missions, alert force duty, large force exercises, business efforts, etc... ? 

I’m gonna disagree. Having just left T-6s to go to a top-choice, sweet location AMC base, I would much prefer to go back to AETC. I thought life sucked in T-6 land, but holy hell life sucks 1,000 times more in AMC. I would stay in AETC as long and as often as you can. Unless you like watching your kids grow up over Skype, then I guess AMC may be for you.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

AF “needs” UPT instructors too. Pretty bad right now actually.  

If kids were smart, they would T-1 FAIP. It’s not really close either. Opens so many doors no matter what your goals in life are. 

FAIPs are leaving their first assignment with 1200+ Multi engine instructor hours and SOS, Flight command, and Exec all checked off as a young second year captain. They get to their AMC units, upgrade in half the time as their peers and are off to the races... Name another MWS where that all happens.

And like Duck says...AMC sucks (hence the huge pilot shortage) so again...what’s the rush?

Edited by pilotguy

9 hours ago, pilotguy said:

what’s the rush?

Uhhh...it’s the military? I like to think these kids joined the military to be involved in military things. Not just flying TP Stalls and lunch and backs to pad their resumes.

• Upvote 5