Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

4 minutes ago, euser said:

I've heard from one of my 38 buddies that getting faip'd to T-6s as a T-38 stud isn't good for the fighter career. From what I understand it's sort of a derail from fighters.

Getting FAIP'd in general apparently closes a few doors (Weapons School for example, or at least makes it more difficult), but it seems most of the T-6 FAIP's who flew T-38s in UPT are heading to fighters now. As for T-38 vs T-6 FAIP, as with anything it is a bit of luck and timing as well. There could be a dude who would be a great FAIP, but there isn't a slot for T-38 PIT available to the Sq at the time, so they end up in the T-6 instead.

23 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Previous 2 posts are wrong. In my WIC class, there were at least 2 T-6 FAIPs going through fighter courses.

Being a T-6 vs T-38 FAIP has no bearing on follow on assignments. 

Definitely glad to hear that FAIP doesn't make it impossible to go to Weapons School. A number of people had mentioned it is much more difficult being 4 years 'behind' as far as time in your MWS goes, is this true?

Edited by Inertia17

48 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Previous 2 posts are wrong. In my WIC class, there were at least 2 T-6 FAIPs going through fighter courses.

Being a T-6 vs T-38 FAIP has no bearing on follow on assignments. 

There are also 3 FAIPs in my TPS class... F-16, B-1, and C-130 backgrounds.  I think they were all T-6 FAIPs.  Definitely didn't hurt their applications to have 1000+ instructor hours in a different airframe than their primary MWS.

On 8/5/2017 at 4:26 PM, Fish_burger said:

KCBM 17-13

T38

F35, Luke

T6 FAIP x2

F16, Luke

A10, Davis-Monthon

T1

C130H, Patrick (Reserve)

C130H, Illinois ANG

RC-135

C130J, Little Rock

C130J, Yokota

C17, Travis

C17, Hickam

C21, Ramstein

HC130J, Moody

E3, Tinker

T1 FAIP

C17, Dover

C146, Duke

No tankers dropped at any of those three bases?  I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

7 hours ago, Inertia17 said:

Definitely glad to hear that FAIP doesn't make it impossible to go to Weapons School. A number of people had mentioned it is much more difficult being 4 years 'behind' as far as time in your MWS goes, is this true?

Significantly more difficult, but as danger pointed out, not impossible. For those who have a realstic chance, the general hurdle is not skill/potential, it's time line and getting to the required level before time runs out. 

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

KEND 17-14

T-6 FAIP
T-38 FAIP
B-1 Dyess
B-52 Barksdale
A-10 Davis Monthan
F-16 Luke
F-15C (x2) Klamath Falls
F-15E Seymour Johnson
KC-10 Travis
C-17 Elmendorf
C-17 Charleston
MC-130J Kadena
C-146 Duke
EC-130H Davis Monthan
U-28 (x2) Cannon
C-21 Scott
C-130H (x2) ANG

I think that's it...might have missed one or two.

Columbus T-38

x1 T-38 FAIP

x1 F-15E

x1 B-52

x2 F-16

x1 A-10

Columbus T-1

x2 U-28

x1 MC-130

x1 E-3

x1 E-8

x2 C-17 (maybe more)

x2 C-130 (maybe more)

x3 KC-135

x1 T-1 FAIP

x1 T-6 FAIP

x1 LC-130

I don't remember the rest

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, 172 wannabe said:

Apparently some of the T-1 studs who recently tracked were told that they should expect bombers in their drop. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

That's been the rumor for as long as I've been a FAIP, seen it once and it was a joint spouse setup.

Also a good rumor is that the KC-46 is gonna drop soon (been hearing that one since I was a stud).

Edited by YoungnDumb

Quick question, and please refrain from the " Jersey jokes". I notice that over the past few years there are very few McGuire C-17 assignments dropped.  I know other bases have more airframes, but I'm just curious why.

18 hours ago, Vito said:

Quick question, and please refrain from the " Jersey jokes". I notice that over the past few years there are very few McGuire C-17 assignments dropped.  I know other bases have more airframes, but I'm just curious why.

You've got to look into that Situation ASAP 😎

• Haha 1

CBM 17-15 Drop

T-38

F22 

T6

F16 NJ Guard 

2x International F15 and Typhoon

T-1 AD

KC135 McConnell

U28 Cannon

Mc130 Cannon

C130 Little Rock

C130 Yokota

C5 Travis

2x Kc10 McGuire & Travis  

C17 Charleston

T6 

UH-60 International

T1 Guard and Reserve

C130 Maxwell

Kc135 Niagra Falls, Pittsburg, Topeka

C17 Jackson

KEND 17-15

L-159 Iraq
T-6 Iraq
Eurofighter Saudi Arabia
F-16 Luke
B-52 Barksdale
MC-130J Kadena
KC-10 McGuire
KC-10 (x2) Travis
C-130H (x2) ANG (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
U-28 Cannon
T-1 FAIP
C-130J Little Rock
F-15C Kingsley Field
B-1B Dyess
T-38 Aggressor Tyndall
F-15E Seymour-Johnson
KC-135 MacDill
KC-135 Fairchild
T-6 FAIP
CV-22 Hurlburt Field 

1 hour ago, YoungnDumb said:

Looks like the "everyone gets a fighter" thing is winding down...maybe the AF realized you can't just throw bodies at the pipeline and expect it to work smoothly?

Give it about 3 years and they will try it again.

Word on the street is that classes who just track selected (so within the last six weeks or so, give or take) are being told that they can expect the bomber drops from T-1s that were talked about so extensively a few months ago. Maybe that's just the rumor mill, or maybe it's taken this long to get the ball rolling on that idea.

As for the reduced fighter drops, at least at CBM a lot of that lately is due to T-38 guys washing into the next class. That's been happening somewhat erratically as I understand it, so some classes' 38 drops look smaller since they might've lost some of their own guys but didn't gain any from the previous class.

Edited by Ulysses

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Word on the street is that classes who just track selected (so within the last six weeks or so, give or take) are being told that they can expect the bomber drops from T-1s that were talked about so extensively a few months ago. Maybe that's just the rumor mill, or maybe it's taken this long to get the ball rolling on that idea.

As for the reduced fighter drops, at least at CBM a lot of that lately is due to T-38 guys washing into the next class. That's been happening somewhat erratically as I understand it, so some classes' 38 drops look smaller since they might've lost some of their own guys but didn't gain any from the previous class.

Reference my earlier post about T-1's and bombers.  It's been a rumor since I was a student, hell we even had an O-5 type say it was happening a year ago.

Fair enough on CBM bubbas, but if you look at Vance as well instead of 9 fighters its more like 4 or so with others going to bombers or other places.

BL: if you hear a rumor that bombers are going to start dropping to Tones, believe it when you see it.

If you hear a rumor that RPAs are going to start dropping again.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Edited by BFM this
  • Like 1