Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

4 hours ago, caseylf said:

Ironic how guys want to be home and not miss holidays but go to the airlines.

Shit Sonnnn, I sleep in my own bed every night and haven't missed a holiday or birthday yet.  

Ironic how guys want to be home and not miss holidays but go to the airlines.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Growing up, my dad did over 20 as a Marine fighter pilot before getting hired by a major airline. "Missing" Christmas in the Airlines meant we celebrated on 22 Dec. "Missing" it in the USMC meant we put his presents in the spare bedroom until he got home 6-9 months later. I would take airline life over that any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 3

On 3/31/2017 at 7:53 AM, HeloDude said:

Again, then why are so many pilots getting out if the mission is relatively constant? 

Let me repeat myself - it's all of the bullshit, instability, bad leadership, and life priorities changing that drive people out.  It is VERY rare in my experience that people get out because of the aircraft type/mission.  I know a SHIT TON of fighter pilots getting out, and I don't know a single one who is getting out because of anything to do with flying fighters, the fighter "lifestyle," etc.  They would be getting out regardless if they flew tankers, helos, C-17s, etc.  I know one guy who got out because he didn't like the C-17 lifestyle...he is literally the only one I know who partially got out because of a specific MDS (and that was a minor part, the first stuff mentioned was the majority of the reason).  Again, no MDS has the market cornered on bad leadership, green dot training, constant TDY/deployments, more queep/less flying, etc.  All the thing mentioned in my first sentence apply to ALL aircraft/missions.  You can't avoid them, so you might as well go for the mission you think you'll enjoy the most for however many years you spend in the AF.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

I file that under bullshit, instability, and bad leadership mostly.

Those factors certainly don't help.  That said, if I was still flying 135s, I and my millions of dollars of training would still be in the Air Force.  I never even considered remaining in to fly MQ-9s.  0 AGL 8.0s with no TDY or deployments, fuck that.

6 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

Those factors certainly don't help.  That said, if I was still flying 135s, I and my millions of dollars of training would still be in the Air Force.  I never even considered remaining in to fly MQ-9s.  0 AGL 8.0s with no TDY or deployments, fuck that.

Valid. I can see non-vol RPAs being the one exception to my previous statements. 

On 4/4/2017 at 5:14 AM, norskman said:

For any helo bros out there, is there any official word on UPT-H (UHT) coming back and timeline in place? Thanks 

SUPT-H is already a thing. I'm there now. Do you mean UPT straight to Rucker for rotary guys (skip T6)? If so then yes, we heard recently it's being discussed seriously, timeline within the next year or possibly sooner if they pull the trigger. But being aware of the capacity constraints here at the squadron I'm not sure how realistic it would be for us to fulfill that mandate. The primary contractor who hires our civilian IPs and runs the academics is scrambling to figure out how they might do it and there are lots of concerns from the Air Force side (including having to buy new TH's, what to do with students with no baseline airsense or instrument training from T6, etc).

1 hour ago, SPAWNmaster said:

SUPT-H is already a thing. I'm there now. Do you mean UPT straight to Rucker for rotary guys (skip T6)? If so then yes, we heard recently it's being discussed seriously, timeline within the next year or possibly sooner if they pull the trigger. But being aware of the capacity constraints here at the squadron I'm not sure how realistic it would be for us to fulfill that mandate. The primary contractor who hires our civilian IPs and runs the academics is scrambling to figure out how they might do it and there are lots of concerns from the Air Force side (including having to buy new TH's, what to do with students with no baseline airsense or instrument training from T6, etc).

We were briefed this is the new COA being implemented at our ops unit. What's the consensus at the 23rd? I assume more iron and  flesh? AD or contractors bearing the brunt? 

12 hours ago, norskman said:

We were briefed this is the new COA being implemented at our ops unit. What's the consensus at the 23rd? I assume more iron and  flesh? AD or contractors bearing the brunt? 

That conversation's above me but I know we are not ready for it and I have heard there is no plan yet.

Talked to a Helo FAIP at water survival, he had also heard about it but seemed to share the same sentiment that they weren't really sure how it would work. Briefs well on paper, seems to have worked back in the day, sure as hell works for the Army but who knows...

On 3/31/2017 at 0:19 PM, BE36 said:

KCBM 17-15 Track Select:

6- T38 (1 Guard 3 International 2 AD)

16- T1s 

0 Helos 

It's totally possible I have no idea what I'm talking about, but doesn't that seem like a low about of 38s for AD? Do these numbers reflect any studs being sent to Shepherd, or is it really just 2 guys got 38s and 16 got 1s? 

On 4/11/2017 at 11:29 AM, takingamessage said:

It's totally possible I have no idea what I'm talking about, but doesn't that seem like a low about of 38s for AD? Do these numbers reflect any studs being sent to Shepherd, or is it really just 2 guys got 38s and 16 got 1s? 

Yes, only 2 AD studs got 38s. We went through an extended period of bad wx and sub par maintenance. That combined with higher numbers of 38 studs has led to the pipeline getting backed up.

Edited by Rooster

1 hour ago, Rooster said:

Yes, only 2 AD studs got 38s. We went through an extended period of bad wx and sub par maintenance. That combined with higher numbers of 38 studs has led to the pipeline getting backed up.

Serious question(s): Bad Wx and down jets can decide mission/airframe for the next 10 years for an AD stud?

Or would you guys have sent more to -38's if you felt maybe 3 or 4 guys were much stronger swimmers than the rest?

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tk1313 said:

Serious question(s): Bad Wx and down jets can decide mission/airframe for the next 10 years for an AD stud?

Or would you guys have sent more to -38's if you felt maybe 3 or 4 guys were much stronger swimmers than the rest?

Yes and the quality of student doesn't matter.  Faces in spaces.

Columbus

F-35 
-135 bham
-17 tcm
Hc-130 patrick
C-21 scott
F-16 holloman
C-17 tcm
Cv-22 cannon
T-6 cbm
-135 ang
-16 hmn
-135 ang
-130 lrf
-16 hmn
-17 chs
-15 semour johnson

what I can recall

• Upvote 1

FR 17-06

CV-22 Cannon
CV-22 Hurlburt
HH-60 Nellis
HH-60 Moody
HH-60 Patrick (Reserves)
H-1N FE Warren
H-1N Minot

Word on the street is that Kirtland's caught up on the Osprey pipeline and -22 pilot production will be ramping up with the drops coming back to Rucker. We went from nothing in months to two in one night, was a good night for the 23rd!

Edited by SPAWNmaster
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tk1313 said:

Pretty much...yeah it sucks.

It has nothing to do with how capable a stud is. There's only a finite number of spots based on needs of USAF and how many the sqdrn can handle.

Last class, that was 2AD. Ten classes ago, it was 6AD. Ten classes from now it'll be another random number. 

• Upvote 1