Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

All the current 38 classes at CBM were washed back starting with 17-08. 08 was split, 4 staying in the class and 4 were washed back. The next classes were all washed back. 17-14 already had 3 or 4 38s from 17-13 washbacks.

3 minutes ago, Rooster said:

All the current 38 classes at CBM were washed back starting with 17-08. 08 was split, 4 staying in the class and 4 were washed back. The next classes were all washed back. 17-14 already had 3 or 4 38s from 17-13 washbacks.

Wash backs due to the students, or jet availability?

On March 3, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Mark1 said:

One night North of JBAD we were supporting a routine nightly DA from the bottom of an air stack 20 miles high.  Upon infil the objective village came to life and a large group with small arms, RPGs, and recoilless rifles headed for the high ground surrounding the objective.  We kept track of their movement with 25% of the capacity of one of our two sensors while supporting other tasks with the rest.

When the F-16 flight finally finished yo-yo ops and got both birds back onstation from JOKERing out prior to infil due to a 15min slip in the timeline, we talked them on.  The group stopped and set up a fighting position in the terrain above the objective leading the GFC to decide to engage prior to entering the objective village.  Friendlies were still several clicks away and the targets were in the middle of nowhere.  As a result, and because it wasn't a critical or time sensitive engagement, the JTAC decided to throw a bone to the F-16s.  A way to get them in the game as thanks for showing up night after night and watching in the background while we took care of the meaningful engagements.

In the process of 9-line coordination, the F-16s lost sight of the targets (which hadn't moved) and were unable to reacquire.  We moved out, found them, and talked the F-16s back on.  We then attempted to confirm basic fighter/gunship integration procedures to allow us to remain overhead at the time of strike, but it caused confusion on their part and the JTAC opted to push us off rather than spend the time to un it.  The initial drop incapacitated 2 or 3 of about 15 and the re-attack turned into a shitshow that never left home plate after the F-16s lost tally again.  After giving the targets a 5min headstart to run in a bomburst pattern off the original impact site the JTAC got fed up, aborted the re-attack, and called us back overhead.

Despite having been in BFE for the initial strike, the first round left the aircraft ~3 seconds after arriving overhead without aid of the assets that were supposed to have custody of the target.  The remaining 12 or 13 spread all over the mountainside were cleaned up in 1/5 the time that it took for 9-line coordination on the initial strike, while the F-16s faded back into the background.

I knew right then how different our worlds were.

So there I was also, at night, same place, in my Viper almost getting hit by a gunship opposite direction, 1,000' into our stack. I even mentioned it in my stack brief when the bros ripped us out- there's xxxx at ### k' who tried to kill me. I digress.

We watched 15 min of fireworks from said other platform try to hit one building. 15 min of MISSING. We didn't follow your technique of trying to re-talk us on to a target though, just got our own 9-line and dropped the building ourselves.

Two sides to every story. Everyone has a bad day, it's just extra bad when combat is on the line. As the deployment turns....

3 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Getting this thread back on topic....

KEND had an international PCS from KCBM in order to do T-38's due to all the delays they are dealing with down there.

That student was slotted to go to Vance well before any delays had begun to affect timeline.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

So END gets a lot more 38s than CBM here in this drop. Is that solely due to issues at CBM (chiefly maintenance, as someone said) or are there other factors? My old CC explained it to me that you're not really competing for tracks against students at your base and your base alone -- you're essentially competing against the 60-90 students at all three bases. Is this the case? And are they still PCSing guys down to Sheppard to take the pressure off the 38 manning at the other bases?

Solid attitude man, thanks for the advice. Need to keep that in mind myself. Best of luck when it comes to drop night in a few months!

You aren't being racked and stacked against other UPT bases for advanced phase.

AETC determines the numbers based on a multitude of factors.

10 hours ago, HeloDude said:

There was only one international student in that class at Vance.

There was one that stood up for the Track Select, the other was not part of Track Select as he arrived that morning so he could start T-38's with the class the next day.

35 minutes ago, YoungnDumb said:

There was one that stood up for the Track Select, the other was not part of Track Select as he arrived that morning so he could start T-38's with the class the next day.

So there was only 1 international student of Vance's class 17-14 that track selected on Wed...

EN 17-04

Active
F-35A x 2 
F-22A x 2 
F-16 x 8 
F-15E x 1
F-15C x 1 
A-10 x 1
T-6 FAIP x 1
T-38 FAIP x 1
C-17 x 3

Guard
A-10 x 1

Reserve
C-130 x 1

Foreign
German Eurofighter x 1
German Tornado x 1
German T-6 FAIP x 1

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

EN 17-04

Active
F-35A x 2 
F-22A x 2 
F-16 x 8 
F-15E x 1
F-15C x 1 
A-10 x 1
T-6 FAIP x 1
T-38 FAIP x 1
C-17 x 3

Guard
A-10 x 1

Reserve
C-130 x 1

Foreign
German Eurofighter x 1
German Tornado x 1
German T-6 FAIP x 1

Gawd dayum..."You're bottom of your class....here's a compensatory C-17"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 08Dawg said:

Valid.  Even better..."You're the bottom of your class, here's an F-16".  Either way, that's a helluva drop. 

Imagine the faip dudes seeing their buddies  get these drops..

Edited by argo

The T-6 FAIP had that at #1 on his sheet. From what I understand, only 1 of the 3 C-17s was not by choice. Interestingly enough the dude who got the C model didn't have it in his top 5, he had the C-17 as #4... fun fact, the guy who dropped the raptor in the last class is the identical twin brother of one of the raptor's from this class.

Edited by Sparkle
Detail

On 3/9/2017 at 8:42 PM, Thor said:

Are T-1s seeing the same backup issues at CBM?

T-1 dudes in my old class (I washed back as part of the 38 issues) are projected to grad on time. They're still not sure if they get to do the mission fam Checkride though, that part of the syllabus got cut when they were having maintainence delays awhile back and is in the process of coming back. 

• Upvote 1

This is 2008 all over again. Slamming through as many students as we can find into the 11F pipe, only to be faced with a "2-year wait" for B course and completely shutting the pipeline off for the following 3 years while we played catch up, only to create a bathtub for 11Fs during those year groups while "overmanning" the MAF by 175% and RIFing those groups 2-3 times in the last 8 years.

Although this time so many guys are bailing at the 10 year point, there will be no RIF...

This s#it is getting old man.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 2

Dumb question alert. Does this mean the pendulum will probably start to swing much quicker than before with regard to frequency of CAF vs MAF drops? It seems somewhat plausible to me (a completely uninformed wannabe), given the big 11FX shortage with a training pipeline that's incapable of handling the mass influx needed to alleviate it.

Edited by mb1685

14 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

I heard the F-16 pipeline is getting backed up with all the drops lately. Are other FTU's getting backed up as well?

I've been doing the math for the F-22 pipeline (worst case scenario since production was cut early into its life). I've seen 1-2 raptors drop every ENJJPT class, plus one or two every so often from the other bases. There are only 186 Raptors, and assuming an optimistic "up jet" status of 80%... I see two lines converging very quickly. Maybe @11F could shed light on how backed up the F-22 pipeline is so that my pure speculation isn't taken as fact.

Edited by tk1313