Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

1 hour ago, faipmafiaofficial said:

words

And ya I actually do know a ton about the assignment process.

I'm sure you do, probably far more than a dude with 15 years in. GMAFB. 

FWIW, such a process is not the standard at other bases, particularly the base in question (Vance).  That process is also far from a perfect gonkulation merit.  Who decides the pts assigned to an SOS DG vs EQ check ride vs Habitat for Humanity build?  I'm sure it's all perfectly weighted in a way that prioritizes the mission over queep.  Curious - is everyone's score and the computation used to get it released to the masses?  There is zero room for CCs to exert influence?

25 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

I'm sure you do, probably far more than a dude with 15 years in. GMAFB. 

FWIW, such a process is not the standard at other bases, particularly the base in question (Vance).  That process is also far from a perfect gonkulation merit.  Who decides the pts assigned to an SOS DG vs EQ check ride vs Habitat for Humanity build?  I'm sure it's all perfectly weighted in a way that prioritizes the mission over queep.  Curious - is everyone's score and the computation used to get it released to the masses?  There is zero room for CCs to exert influence?

No we never see the scores but we get told exactly where we ranked...at least my sq cc told us if we asked. They all sit around the table with the OG at the end and agree on the rankings.  They hardly ever change though from the rank after the original scoring.

Just curious have you ever talked to Steve schiele or afpc at all about the entire process?

2 hours ago, faipmafiaofficial said:

Wrong at least for Columbus. All FAIPS put all their accomplishments and failures both in the jet and as an officer on an official form.  All kinds of stuff is on that form. That form is then ranked using a points system by every sqcc in the group with NO names on any form.  therefore nobody knows who's who. Then they are put in a pile from top to bottom and that's the rack and stack. Merit = the quality of being particularly good or worthy, especially so as to deserve praise or reward.  So ya it's based on merit. If you bust your ass more than the other FAIPS AND play the game well you will be ranked high

but at the end of the day someone has to finish last and that's when people get butt hurt about not getting the fighter they think they deserve 

And ya I actually do know a ton about the assignment process.

So, a strat based completely on how well a bunch of Lt's fill out what amounts to their own 1206/PRF.  That, with zero leadership input or independent assessment?  What could possibly go wrong?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HU&W said:

So, a strat based completely on how well a bunch of Lt's fill out what amounts to their own 1206/PRF.  That, with zero leadership input or independent assessment?  What could possibly go wrong?

Ya. If your commander cares which mine did he helps you write it. It actually works really well maybe the other bases should look into it. Eliminates all the favoritism shit that is being complained about above

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, faipmafiaofficial said:

Ya. If your commander cares which mine did he helps you write it. It actually works really well maybe the other bases should look into it. Eliminates all the favoritism shit that is being complained about above

So..if your commander cares about you he will help your write it...but there's no favoritism?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

So..if your commander cares about you he will help your write it...but there's no favoritism?

Lol no because it gets scored by 6 other people. He helps you submit the best possible product you can. Then lets the process take care of the rest.

Edited by faipmafiaofficial
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, faipmafiaofficial said:

Lol no because it gets scored by 6 other people. He helps you submit the best possible product you can. Then let's the process take care of the rest. 

So your commander isn't in the group of commanders that scores what the Lt's write about themselves to determine who should fly which plane?  You lost me.

The rankings "hardly ever change" from the raw score, which is NOT transparent to everyone. It comes from a meeting of the commanders (i.e., the group rack-and-stack) and all you are ever told is exactly where you rank relative to everyone else. 

You are so naive, you just perfectly described your standard rack-and-stack. No doubt the sacred Excel file is a big input, but the CCs go to bat (or not) for their people and the result is a ranking they all agree on and release to the masses.  Of course you never see everyone's raw data and the sheet used to gonk it, now why could that be?  You crack me up. 

Every base I've been to has some kind of queep tracker. Sometimes it's a click- here Excel file, sometimes it is called a pilot resume or pilot snapshot. They are all used for input...input to the group rack and stack where all the CCs get together to rank the masses. There is subjectivity to them, which is precisely why you never see each other's raw data. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ViperStud said:

The rankings "hardly ever change" from the raw score, which is NOT transparent to everyone. It comes from a meeting of the commanders (i.e., the group rack-and-stack) and all you are ever told is exactly where you rank relative to everyone else. 

You are so naive, you just perfectly described your standard rack-and-stack. No doubt the sacred Excel file is a big input, but the CCs go to bat (or not) for their people and the result is a ranking they all agree on and release to the masses.  Of course you never see everyone's raw data and the sheet used to gonk it, now why could that be?  You crack me up. 

Every base I've been to has some kind of queep tracker. Sometimes it's a click- here Excel file, sometimes it is called a pilot resume or pilot snapshot. They are all used for input...input to the group rack and stack where all the CCs get together to rank the masses. There is subjectivity to them, which is precisely why you never see each other's raw data. 

na man it's all a numbers game. A commander has little or no say in where you fall. Just like UPT except it's way less than the 20% flight commanders ranking. I'd say it's like 10%. 

Bottom line a commander can't say "he's my guy" and then have his record that's sitting in front of the other commanders say something completely different.

Or it's all just a scam to make us think it's fair haha and they just shred our docs and laugh about them at the round table. 

na man it's all a numbers game. A commander has little or no say in where you fall. Just like UPT except it's way less than the 20% flight commanders ranking. I'd say it's like 10%. 
Bottom line a commander can't say "he's my guy" and then have his record that's sitting in front of the other commanders say something completely different.
Or it's all just a scam to make us think it's fair haha and they just shred our docs and laugh about them at the round table. 

How's that old saying go?
Timing is everything
There is no justice
Better lucky than good

For a rack and stack, CCs opinion of you will carry a lot of weight, so long as your performance backs it up. However, how good performance is determined is subjective, and different CCs emphasize different things. There is no MIF items outside of UPT, and your performance will be graded on a highly subjective scale. Welcome to the real (ish) Air Force.

Oh FAIPs. What a completely mixed bag. I have worked with current FAIPs who have the SA to know where their expertise stops and others tell me what life is going to be like once they get to the CAF. I love working with 90% of the FAIPs at my base, but I have directly watched the FAIP rack and stack and seen how screwed up the whole process can get. It sounds like it worked out in your favor this time. It could have very easily gone the other way, believe me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

16 hours ago, faipmafiaofficial said:

No, just no

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, di1630 said:

I'm a big fan of *most* FAIPs, the problem happens when a weak -38 UPT student gets T-6 FAIP'd, they spend 3 years doing AF std shenanigans such as exec and other non-flying accomplishments to get the fighter they couldn't earn on flying merit.

Dude, the same thing happens with ENJPPT students and SUPT students who just happened have a good drop. FAIP is just another label people use to justify stereotypes. 

And now back to your regularly scheduled drop reporting...

XL 17-02 (as best I could figure/remember considering the presentation difficulties and beer consumption)

1 x F-15C

4 x F-16

C-130J

MC-130

KC-10

KC-135

T-1A FAIP

3 x C-17

There were certainly others, but that is all I can recall right meow. If anyone has a better recollection, throw it up.

It would seem it is Viper season!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Inertia17 said:

And now back to your regularly scheduled drop reporting...

XL 17-02 (as best I could figure/remember considering the presentation difficulties and beer consumption)

1 x F-15C

4 x F-16

C-130J

MC-130

KC-10

KC-135

T-1A FAIP

3 x C-17

There were certainly others, but that is all I can recall right meow. If anyone has a better recollection, throw it up.

It would seem it is Viper season!

There were also two C-130Hs (both Guard) and 3 Saudi fighters. Other than that, you covered it.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:21 PM, faipmafiaofficial said:

Wow. I actually remember having your (dare I say, naive) perspective somewhere around 10 years ago. 

You 'gon learn boi... you 'gon learn for sure. I just hope to god you don't figure it out the hard way. 

11 hours ago, Marlboro BLACK said:

Wow. I actually remember having your (dare I say, naive) perspective somewhere around 10 years ago. 

You 'gon learn boi... you 'gon learn for sure. I just hope to god you don't figure it out the hard way. 

sometimes people have to learn the difficult way

3 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

sometimes people have to learn the difficult way

Lol I know it's not at all how it works in the real Air Force but what I described is how it works for FAIPS at cbm that's all

im done talking about it though it doesn't matter anyway. That dude complaining about his buff will have to get over it