Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

4 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:
12 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

You have not been handed the short straw enough times then.

One can only be kicked in the balls by Big Blue so many times before you say "F it"

How are those TAMI 21 dudes who changed their AFSC at the request of leadership doing? It's all about timing and luck to succeed in today's AF.

4 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:

Watching several guys in my squadron get tapped with TAMI 21, I second this.. (Made a conscious decision at that time never to let my ADSC get extended bast my UPT one).  Gross mismanagement of personnel is the root cause of this retention problem that the AF is experiencing.

Don't want to derail this thread though - hitting your first ops unit after 2+ years of training is an unforgettably awesome experience.

While making no excuses for the train wreck that was TAMI-21, those that were affected, in general, followed two paths:

-Some recatted.  While there are varying accounts about whether they were sold a bill of goods, most did so with clear vision, and are thriving; WIC, school, staff, etc.  I've met one or two, that suffered buyers remorse, but it wasn't wholesale.

-Non-recatters thrived in place, and got jets starting in late '12 early '13 timeframe.

-Same story with the original UPT-D's; first of which are often WIC grads, arriving at staff/school (recats) while the rest are in manned a/c.

BL: I'm not arguing against the shitshow that was TAMI and UPT-D--those initiatives poisoned the well for a generation to come.  

Edited by BFM this
  • Upvote 1

While making no excuses for the train wreck that was TAMI-21, those that were affected, in general, followed two paths:
-Some recatted.  While there are varying accounts about whether they were sold a bill of goods, most did so with clear vision, and are thriving; WIC, school, staff, etc.  I've met one or two, that suffered buyers remorse, but it wasn't wholesale.
-Non-recatters thrived in place, and got jets starting in late '12 early '13 timeframe.
-Same story with the original UPT-D's; first of which are often WIC grads, arriving at staff/school (recats) while the rest are in manned a/c.
BL: I'm not arguing against the shitshow that was TAMI and UPT-D--those initiatives poisoned the well for a generation to come.  

You're right, most recovered, but TAMI is my personal # one reason why I didn't take the devil's money, followed closely by over-conservative mustache regulations.

I signed on for ten years knowing that I was at the disposal of the AF upon completion of pilot training, but there was a reasonable assumption that the government would get their money's worth from their investment by putting me in a flying job. The UAV debacle married up with being repeatedly told that it was the end of the line for manned flying destroyed the trust between me and the bureaucratic process that is AFPC. Personally, I will not sign up for indentured servitude at any point in the future, regardless of any good deals attached.

Back on topic- how bout those viper drops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately for FAIPS, every community requests them.  That leaves some dudes with some "bad deals."  I tallied everything and here is how the FAIPS did this year  Sorry for the long post

ENJJPT

2 F-35
2 F-15E

3 F-16
1 A-10
1 B-2
1 B-52

COLUMBUS

38 FAIPS
2 B-1

2 F-15E, 
3 F-16
F-15C
F-22

T-1 FAIPS
B-1
B-52
C-5 Travis
2 KC-135 Fairchild
E-8 Robbins
E-3 Geilenkirchen
C-130J Dyess
C-130J Little Rock
KC-10 Travis
KC-10 McGuire
MC-130J Cannon
C-17 McGuire
C-17 McChord
RC-135 Offutt
HC-130J Moody

LAUGHLIN

38 FAIPS

F-35
5 F-16

4 F-15E
2 A-10
2 B-1
F-22
B-52

T1 FAIPS
2 B-52
CV-22
C-146 duke                                

C-17 Charleston
C-17 McGuire
C-17 Mcchord 
EC-130 DM
2 E-3 tinker 
C-130J ramstein
C-130J Little Rock
Ac-130W cannon
C-130J dyes
KC-135 McConnell 
U-2

VANCE

T38 FAIPS

F-35

4 F-16

F-15C 

A-10 

B-2

B-52

T-1 FAIPS
C-5 Dover
2 C-17 Charleston
C-17 Hickam
2 B-52
2 KC-135 Fairchild
RC-135 Offutt
EC-130 DM
C-146 Duke
KC-135 Macdill
U-2

-5 Buffs and 1 Bone to T-1 FAIPS

-3 Buffs, 4 Bones, & 2 B-2 to T-38 FAIPS

Edited by faipmafiaofficial
  • Upvote 1

In relation to the few bomber drops for t-1s/t-1 FAIPs, does anyone know any information on whether or not this'll be the norm for the next few classes?  I know the drops really fluctuate, but it's just interesting to see.  Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

In relation to the few bomber drops for t-1s/t-1 FAIPs, does anyone know any information on whether or not this'll be the norm for the next few classes?  I know the drops really fluctuate, but it's just interesting to see.  Thanks!

I thought the discussion a few pages back said each of those were specific situations being one-off deals. I don't think any of them were random drops out of the blue. Not to ruin anyone's hopes of course...

3 hours ago, Thor said:

From the grumblings in my ops squadrons as a bomber dude, T-1 FAIPS or T-6 FAIPS that tracked T-1s can get assigned bomber aircraft. That will probably be a normal thing for a while as well as the 38 students and 38 FAIPS that get assigned to the bombers. We are hurting manning wise here just as much as the fighter bros (maintenance is hurting worse than everyone else but that is a different can of worms). As for T-1 studs dropping bombers, that dude that dropped a BUFF not too long ago was a high level drug deal (like AFPC level) since he was married to a missile officer up in Minot. I think AFPC is trying to push to get T-1 studs to be able to drop bombers more frequently though. But we all know the clown show that is AFPC so who knows what they are trying to find a "fix" for.  

4 hours ago, Uncle said:

Lol, great community fellas, i have a "poor" reputation because I asked about fighter drops in the thread about assignments.  

1. You have 2 posts, and one of them is complaining about neg rep on your first post. So... maybe contribute, be positive, and stay on topic?

2. Your interests give me a "tool" vibe, just my opinion. (you edited this, looks a little better now)

3. If you had creeped a little while on the forums before joining, you would know that the "what are my chances of getting a fighter drop" has already been asked 69 million times before, and is almost always answered with "there is really no way to estimate how many fighters will drop, so just work your ass off in UPT and be a good bro."

4. If you get that viper drop, you're going to be flying with the same type of guys that are busting your ass on the forums. I'm not one of them yet, and I don't act like it. They are a tight knit group, and honestly have helped me understand a great deal about the flight training process, and the AF in general.

5. I've been told to 'shut the hell up' here too. It's not personal, and you shouldn't take it that way. Seriously, this community is filled with a bunch of successful fighter pilots, and is a great resource for everything you need to know. This weekend, I'm going to meet a couple fighter wannabes just like me, and it's only because of these forums... So just consider yourself lucky to be interacting with everyone here.

ANYWAY, sorry to have derailed the thread... Back on topic:

I'm also interested to see the next round of T-1 drops. It seems to me like they're moving toward T-38 guys getting only fighters or an A-10, while the T-1's fight over the 11B slots. If they are trying to mitigate the 11F AND 11B shortage, this seems like a pretty good way of doing it.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

I'm also interested to see the next round of T-1 drops. It seems to me like they're moving toward T-38 guys getting only fighters or an A-10, while the T-1's fight over the 11B slots. If they are trying to mitigate the 11F AND 11B shortage, this seems like a pretty good way of doing it.

That is what the Bomber FAM hinted at (he is a good dude unlike the previous one). If you look on the AFPC website for bombers, there is a call out to any MWS who wants to go fly BUFFs to contact him and it seems if you got released on your end, you would go fly the BUFF no problem. I do feel bad for the new bomber studs that just graduated UPT out of 38s that are here and or headed this way since T-1 guys can now fill this billet. Seems like a waste of a potential resource since we are in such a bad fighter crisis and we are sending dudes who are fighter qual'd to a jet that can be flown by anyone, IMO. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, KoolaidDrinker69 said:

Hey, the good news is if you have a Q3 for flight discipline as a T6 dude you get vipers now. So push it up! But we better send that 38 bro to the buff. There is no justice.

Shit, was that not public info?

Drink up.

Shit talking another flyer by leaking private information on a public forum?  Bold move for a first post, I'm sure it will impress everyone.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, KoolaidDrinker69 said:

Hey, the good news is if you have a Q3 for flight discipline as a T6 dude you get vipers now. So push it up! But we better send that 38 bro to the buff. There is no justice.

Shit, was that not public info?

Drink up.

By the time this pilot is flying the viper, some Q3 in T6's will matter just as much as being caught for stealing the crayons in kindergarten.

Enjoy your buff.

• Upvote 4

guys have been screwed a lot worse. it's not the first screw job by AFPC and it won't be the last. things could always be worse.

my buddies that are in the buff didn't pick it #1 but they're making the best of it and actually like it now. they didn't have a shitty attitude and made it work.

blasting another dudes check ride dirty laundry in a public forum is a fcking foul btw

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HU&W said:

By the time this pilot is flying the viper, some Q3 in T6's will matter just as much as being caught for stealing the crayons in kindergarten.

Enjoy your buff.

It was publically briefed wing wide. Commander directed Q3s for flight discipline? As a FAIP you are a college graduate, a commissioned officer, as well as a trained instructor pilot. A ding for flight discipline should be a pretty big red flag. Not ultimately damning like you say. Agree with that. But not something swept under a rug and result in a bro getting screwed. 

I'll enjoy whatever aircraft I fly. Thanks though detective. 

Ps its never been a buff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I saw some awesome T-6 faips get Q3'd sime years back for doing std pilot stuff but their CC was a CYA careerist d-bag so they got screwed.

When I was in AETC some fatty driver clown recommended me with a Q3 for doing a unrestricted climb during a UCI which got quickly disregarded by fighter leadership but you see how this crap works.

Bottom line is that AETC is a shitshow. Take the praise/punishment you see from those places lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, KoolaidDrinker69 said:

It was publically briefed wing wide. Commander directed Q3s for flight discipline? As a FAIP you are a college graduate, a commissioned officer, as well as a trained instructor pilot. A ding for flight discipline should be a pretty big red flag. Not ultimately damning like you say. Agree with that. But not something swept under a rug and result in a bro getting screwed. 

I'll enjoy whatever aircraft I fly. Thanks though detective. 

Ps its never been a buff. 

If you're referring to the instance that happened a few years back at Vance those FAIPs are already gone, they got their assignments 1-2 years back so they had no bearing on this years FAIP drop.

7 hours ago, KoolaidDrinker69 said:

As a FAIP you are a college graduate, a commissioned officer, as well as a trained instructor pilot. A ding for flight discipline should be a pretty big red flag. Not ultimately damning like you say. Agree with that. But not something swept under a rug and result in a bro getting screwed. 

"Flight discipline" is one of those catch all phrases that when I see in an FEF I call the EP and ask what really happened.  Its not the red flag you think it is.  Could be a big deal, could be nothing.  Importantly, a Q3 for flight discipline in AETC could easily be a Q1E for judgement in SOF...... so, get over yourself.  And I say that in a polite way.  

I get that you think something unfair happened.  It's common unfortunately, but it still sucks.  Sorry.  However, going after the other guy is extremely poor form.  

• Upvote 6

It was publically briefed wing wide.

If it was publicly briefed wing wide, then why in your previous post did you say it was not public info?

Either you're being overly dramatic because you feel like you got screwed, or you're trying to burn someone else to make yourself feel better, or both. Either way, pretty weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1