Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

I think they do. I know that all T-1s are having MX issues with some structural cracking. FYSA they removed all the mission fam from T-1 training. They now do a couple sims after their nav check. Form/AR are out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Lstcause257 said:

I think they do. I know that all T-1s are having MX issues with some structural cracking. FYSA they removed all the mission fam from T-1 training. They now do a couple sims after their nav check. Form/AR are out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks those were the best rides in the T-1 syllabus.

DLF - 7 T-38's.
2 Saudis
1 Kuwaiti
3 AD
1 guard 
So much for boosting 11F Pipeline. Let's put more international's through. 

I agree of course, but those decisions (about foreign trainees) get made way above CSAF's level and years in advance. Those dudes can't have their training track changed without SAF/IA, State, and Sec Carter having a pretty high-level pow-wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

END 17-08

9 AD T-38's (no shit), 1 INTL, 1 Guard, so 11 total T-38's

13 T-1's

1 Helo

Wait, so you're telling me that the media may be right about the huge shortage of AF fighter pilots? Something about that last sentence just makes me uneasy... "the media may be right"... Yep, that just doesn't sound right. I'm thinking that class must be just an outlier.

12 hours ago, JJF0012 said:

How long can we expect these types of numbers? What's been typical in the past?

It's a pendulum dude, always has been. A year ago 3-4 AD 38s was standard here at Columbus. Starting with 17-01 that number jumped to 5-7 per class plus the Shepard gig for some classes. 

16 hours ago, Rooster said:

It's a pendulum dude, always has been. A year ago 3-4 AD 38s was standard here at Columbus. Starting with 17-01 that number jumped to 5-7 per class plus the Shepard gig for some classes. 

Rumor has it that due to the transfers from other bases, T-6 scores here at Sheppard are going to be disregarded due to the difference in Syllabi... purely rumor at this point though.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:54 AM, JJF0012 said:

How long can we expect these types of numbers? What's been typical in the past?

No one can give you even an approximate forecast without being full of shit. There is no typical past timeline either. It's constantly changing. You're trying to find a trend line to predict the future for you, but it's pointless. 

If you have to hang your hat on something, though, the drops leading up to yours (within about 6 months are so) will give the best prediction. 

As one data point, my T-38 drop had 5/6 fighters...the very next drop had 1/4 fighters.  Not a track select, but shows how much the pendulum can swing in a matter of 2-3 weeks between assignment nights.  You can't predict, all you can do is work your ass off, have a good attitude, and the rest is luck and timing.

• Upvote 4

We're in uncharted territory so no one know how long it will last. The last time I saw this much flail we ended up (due to our poor leadership not realizing the ramifications of closing FTU squadrons) with dudes waiting 14 months between UPT and the B-Course. The result? We didn't drop a single Viper for a year in order to clear the backlog.

History has a bad little habit of repeating itself, especially when you are cursed with management that isn't smart enough to learn from the past and react accordingly. Sound like anyone we know?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Rumor has it that due to the transfers from other bases, T-6 scores here at Sheppard are going to be disregarded due to the difference in Syllabi... purely rumor at this point though.

Really curious to know how that'll all work come drop night  with the SUPT transfers. Do they add a modifier to their T6 scores or just stratify them based on their 38 performance compared to the ENJJPT guys?

Throwing out the T6 side for the whole class seems like a slap in the face to the studs who did well early on.

As one data point, my T-38 drop had 5/6 fighters...the very next drop had 1/4 fighters.  Not a track select, but shows how much the pendulum can swing in a matter of 2-3 weeks between assignment nights.  You can't predict, all you can do is work your ass off, have a good attitude, and the rest is luck and timing.

OR just join the Guard...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rooster said:

Really curious to know how that'll all work come drop night  with the SUPT transfers. Do they add a modifier to their T6 scores or just stratify them based on their 38 performance compared to the ENJJPT guys?

Throwing out the T6 side for the whole class seems like a slap in the face to the studs who did well early on.

It would bring it inline with the rest of the training bases in that regard though. Scores in T-6's mean precisely zero after Track Select. Clean slate for Phase III. I believe it has been that way for quite a while.

That being said, if they were to do that, they should let the studs know when they start T-6's, not afterwards.

Edited by Inertia17
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FlyinGrunt said:

Why not toss out the whole T-6 side?  That's exactly how we used to do it at Corpus.

Because at Shepard they don't compete for their Phase III assignment like the rest of the bases. Keeping the T6 side ensures accountability, otherwise you've got a recipe to breed a stud who slacks off in T6s because "it doesn't count anyway." Poor performers at Shepard should be punished, not rewarded....or just make em earn it like the rest of us.

Edited by Rooster

17 hours ago, Ram said:

Oh good.  This conversation again.  Wheeee.

At least we're on my favorite page now... But I kind of like the idea of giving everyone who does well enough in T-6's (and wants fast flyers) a shot in the T-38... It should eventually become evident who's cut out for it and who's not...

Edited by tk1313

41 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

That is one of the scariest things I've read on here.  You and Bernie into timeout.

I've never been so ashamed of my post before... Now I read it like "The top 1% of the top 1% gets to fly fighter jets... I want to make it so that EVERYBODY in UPT gets T-38's and goes straight into flying F-22s".... *end of Bernie impersonation*

• Upvote 2