Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

6 hours ago, Ram said:

Does anyone have a copy of this supposed "CSAF 11F Manning Plan" I keep hearing so much about?

Yeah, I'd like to see a copy too.  Funny thing is that every single thing that I have heard of coming from that "plan" to deal with 11F manning makes me, as an 11F, want to pull the handles even more.  I get why you can't really go do much as an 11F right now except for stay exactly where you are, but if I am getting cut off at the knees and have no opportunities to "shine" then I'm just going to get out.  Double edged sword, this manning plan is. 

Does anyone have a copy of this supposed "CSAF 11F Manning Plan" I keep hearing so much about?

, but if I am getting cut off at the knees and have no opportunities to "shine" then I'm just going to get out.  Double edged sword, this manning plan is. 

I can only imagine the challenge AFPC has to deal with. When there are plenty of pilots, they are pissed when they have to take a job out of the jet. When manning is so bad that you "have" to fly your supersonic chariot for the majority of your career, they complain about not being able to "shine". Wtf.

• Upvote 1

, but if I am getting cut off at the knees and have no opportunities to "shine" then I'm just going to get out.  Double edged sword, this manning plan is. 

I can only imagine the challenge AFPC has to deal with. When there are plenty of pilots, they are pissed when they have to take a job out of the jet. When manning is so bad that you "have" to fly your supersonic chariot for the majority of your career, they complain about not being able to "shine". Wtf.

IMO pilots want to fly as long as possible. Most of them being type-A personalities also want to be in command. But they are also aware that to the AF beauracracy, Option 1 rarely leads to Option 2. Is almost like the "stovepiping" in the late 90's/early 00's.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

IMO pilots want to fly as long as possible. Most of them being type-A personalities also want to be in command. But they are also aware that to the AF beauracracy, Option 1 rarely leads to Option 2. Is almost like the "stovepiping" in the late 90's/early 00's.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

Most of the fighter pilots I know are perfectly happy flying the line.

Actually, I'm amazed how many pilots only fly to further their careers while their true passion lies in making rank/power. I know some of the "wrong" types only went to WIC because that was one more way to climb. When people fight to be exec, I get worried at our system.

Meanwhile, I've seen those same guys after climbing the ladder as leadership look down on hi-time fliers.

We'll do ourselves a favor when we make promotion/assignments about skill vs progression thru the square filling.

This goes for flying upgrades as well as jobs. When a squadron devotes 50% of its IP resources to get people spun-up for WIC and patches only groom patches, there are issues and I've seen it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, di1630 said:

Actually, I'm amazed how many pilots only fly to further their careers while their true passion lies in making rank/power. I know some of the "wrong" types only went to WIC because that was one more way to climb. When people fight to be exec, I get worried at our system.

Meanwhile, I've seen those same guys after climbing the ladder as leadership look down on hi-time fliers.

We'll do ourselves a favor when we make promotion/assignments about skill vs progression thru the square filling.

This goes for flying upgrades as well as jobs. When a squadron devotes 50% of its IP resources to get people spun-up for WIC and patches only groom patches, there are issues and I've seen it.

I going to take a wild guess and say you're referring to WIC for heavies.

Nope.....multiple communities.....not that there aren't some awesome patches produced. But the whole point of WIC was to give 1 person the firsthand knowledge so they could share with everyone else. It was never intended to be a "badge of honor" or a "leadership container" checked.

If there was enough time/money, everyone would go they WIC. We've turned it into a niche club, you pretty much need a patch to command in the CAF. Patches pick their future patches to groom sometimes as young as wingmen. Resources are thrown their way, they are thrown into the upgrades sooner, etc. I've seen the shot hot shiny pennies looked at as the greatest thing since sliced bread vs their peers.......yeah, because they flew with the best IPs, got more hours, experience and time spent on them. Obvious outcome.

That being said, I've never met a dumb patch who couldn't fly. Almost all are credible, but we sometimes misjudge on who will be humble and approachable.

words words words...That being said, I've never met a dumb patch who couldn't fly. Almost all are credible, but we sometimes misjudge on who will be humble and approachable.

It's almost like your saying it does a pretty good job given the limitations of a bureaucracy. And if a bureaucracy didn't let a few slip through the cracks every now and then, I'd be out if a job.

Well, THIS fighter pilot is dying to get back to the jet but is being told that "we're not hurting for pilots too badly...go do a staff tour."

So, it seems like the pilot shortage isn't about open cockpits on the ramp. Yet.

words words words...That being said, I've never met a dumb patch who couldn't fly. Almost all are credible, but we sometimes misjudge on who will be humble and approachable.

It's almost like your saying it does a pretty good job given the limitations of a bureaucracy. And if a bureaucracy didn't let a few slip through the cracks every now and then, I'd be out if a job.

Overall I'd say it's a win for big blue but could be better. I don't like any clubs that have privileges unless I benefit.

Here's a story:

My first sq as a Lt, a patch blew thru his mda on an I-check. SEFE tried to Q2 him, sq/cc stepped in because "patches need to retain credibility". You can imagine the rumors spread and both the patch and patch wearing CC lost bro-cred if you will. The SEFE was a high time, highly respected guy and to see him overridden like that was disheartening.

I've seen other sketchy stuff where a patch has screwed the pooch (like unintentionally fired a live missile) and not a mention of it at the Friday pilot meeting, but instead a mere mortal line pilot

Having a patch on your arm has its advantages that go far beyond getting a priceless education at Nellis.

My first sq as a Lt, a patch blew thru his mda ...

Where I discontinued reading.

By blew through I mean leveled off 200ft below and maintained due to a wrong alt setting. I'm not chucking spears at the action, just the aftermath and double std. We rarely have Q2/3's in the CAF but when we do, they are usually for less.

For any UPT students interested in tracking AFSOC or just interested in what AFSOC does/is all about there will a SOF Roadshow hitting all the UPT bases this week 21-25 March.  We'll have pilots from most of AFSOC's MDS there to interact with/ask questions, AFSOC CAG will being presenting the official AFSOC mission briefing, and we'll have static MC-130J and CV-22 aircraft.  PM me if you have any questions.

• Upvote 1

I was there for the F-35 drop. It was insane. The video they did to introduce the 35 on screen was absolutely perfect with the lightning striking in the background. Congrats to that guy for having the chance to fly the plane. I still think it's a piece of garbage, but it is purty.

1 hour ago, Spaceballs said:

I was there for the F-35 drop. It was insane. The video they did to introduce the 35 on screen was absolutely perfect with the lightning striking in the background. Congrats to that guy for having the chance to fly the plane. I still think it's a piece of garbage, but it is purty.

Nah, it looks like a chubby dolphin. 

• Upvote 3