C-21 to ramstein

C-130 to dyess (from a 38 guy)

(Didn't want fighters)

C-17 to McChord

130 to elmendorf

C-12 to yakota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/28/2016 at 3:44 PM, Majestik Møøse said:

Is that dude straight to the -46?  I'm not sure what sense that makes considering the timeline.  Guess he'll be in sims for a while.

I think he was a Guard guy from New Hampshire. 

• 2 weeks later...

EN 16-04

US Active Duty:

F-15E
T-38A Tyndall
A-10
F-16x5
T-38 FAIP
T-6 FAIP
B-1
B-52
C-17  McChord 
C-130x2 Ramstein, Little Rock 

Guard:
F-16x3

Germany:
Eurofighterx2
T-6 FAIP
Tornado

Edited by cloud

Why, when we have a shortage of fighter pilots, are we still sending ENJPPT grads to heavies? Did they do that poorly? And if so, why are the bottom grads getting assignments that the top Toners fight to get?

For one, the FTUs are at max capacity; we cannot train b-coursers fast enough to meet what the CAF needs; so, there's only as many F-Xs as the FTUs can support.  Secondly, I don't know the makeup of this class, but it's fairly likely there were at least a couple dudes who shouldn't being flying fighters, CAF shortage or not.  For that reason alone, it was a good move to give the non-fighter aircraft option to ENJJPT.  As far as getting "good deal heavies" that T-1 dudes "fight for," I honestly don't know what the right answer is.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Why, when we have a shortage of fighter pilots, are we still sending ENJPPT grads to heavies? Did they do that poorly? And if so, why are the bottom grads getting assignments that the top Toners fight to get?

One of the C-130s and the C-17 were for two studs who requested them.

The other stud who got the C-130 wasn't a high performer 

Edited by rancormac

RUMINT is more often than you'd think.  There's such a lack of fighter representation at UPT bases (i.e. line IPs are rarely fighter dudes), the AF started sending fighters XC to UPT bases for grad days so people have the chance to see a fighter, talk to a fighter pilot, etc.  At least when I went through UPT, the majority of T-38 IPs were fighter guys, now they're mostly bomber and other (i.e. went through T-38s at UPT, got a C-X, now back teaching T-38s).  Obviously these dudes are perfectly capable of teaching phase III, but have zero fighter experience to talk smartly to the young dudes when they're making their dream list. 

Well our last track had studs in the bottom half of the class tracking 38s because the top half wanted T-1s or TH-1s.

Plenty of dudes who tracked t-1s could have done just fine in -38s. I'd say most of the top T-1 guys would do good, it's the bottom of the T-1 class that doubtfully would have made it but you never know. There is a certain truthfulness when you say it's completely realistic for a person who washed from -38s to do fine in T-1s, but not vice versa. Some commanders tried to argue this, it didn't go over but I think we lose some potential pilots who would be just fine in a crew jet.

Give me a dude with a killer drive and attitude to fly fighters over the reluctant top stick T-6 student anyday though.

UPT performance is not always a great indicator. I had some T-38 students who we thought were lucky to get a fighter back in the day, now they are patch wearers, community leaders etc. Likewise some of the DG's were sh-t in their fighter.

• Upvote 3

On March 15, 2016 at 7:13 AM, brabus said:

RUMINT is more often than you'd think.  There's such a lack of fighter representation at UPT bases (i.e. line IPs are rarely fighter dudes), the AF started sending fighters XC to UPT bases for grad days so people have the chance to see a fighter, talk to a fighter pilot, etc.  At least when I went through UPT, the majority of T-38 IPs were fighter guys, now they're mostly bomber and other (i.e. went through T-38s at UPT, got a C-X, now back teaching T-38s).  Obviously these dudes are perfectly capable of teaching phase III, but have zero fighter experience to talk smartly to the young dudes when they're making their dream list. 

Where you are spot on is that there is a greatly diminished 11F presence in phase 3 (compared to 07-08 when I was a stud, but the problem, I think, is really Phase 2. There is almost zero 11/F or B presence there. All the studs have to go off of is the mentality of the MAF minded folks. Not saying they're all like that, but that's my assessment in the last 2 yrs I have been a -38 IP.

BL: $hit is way different nowadays. 

We've seen some super questionable studs come through MQT recently at my ops base, and it's hard to tell if it's just a couple of guys struggling or a greater trend towards lower quality pilots produced by UPT/IFF and our B course. Some B course IPs are indicating that there is some pressure to get guys graduated who may not be 100% up to snuff.

There are a lot of pressures on the fighter pipeline right now.

7 hours ago, PlanePhlyer said:

Where you are spot on is that there is a greatly diminished 11F presence in phase 3 (compared to 07-08 when I was a stud, but the problem, I think, is really Phase 2. There is almost zero 11/F or B presence there. All the studs have to go off of is the mentality of the MAF minded folks. Not saying they're all like that, but that's my assessment in the last 2 yrs I have been a -38 IP.

BL: $hit is way different nowadays. 

Per the CSAFs rated manning plan, 11Fs are not allowed to go to T-6s except for a case by case basis (the only one I've seen is a command opportunity) . Even back when I was in t-37 UPT (9 years ago) the only 11Fs were one flight cc, one reservist, and the commander. Now that very few 11Fs are even going to -38s, all the 11Bs are going to the -38, which leaves nothing but 11Ms to teach phase 2. Not a bad thing, they can teach it fine, however the lack of being able to talk to the different communities prior to track select is a disservice. 

• Upvote 1