Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

Going to Altus as a third assignment IP in the tanker isn't as good as people think it is.  The running joke when I was there was if you're the #1 tanker IP, that meant you're the #14 guy in the wing.  Your quality 11M IP is getting the hell out and joining the airline corps.  When I taught at Altus it wasn't uncommon (and seen a few times) for a CFIC candidate to receive orders to the FTU as an IP.  A lot of folks out of both MDS's at Altus chose that assignment because it was the lesser of two evils (RPA's).  The days of seeing the crusty Maj IP with a toilet bowl on his/her wings flying with young punks are being replaced by the upgraded at their first assignment and have little to no experience instructing.

You would be surprised with the amount of Reservists that Altus hired.  Though in a poor area it's not that far from OKC or Dallas/Ft. Worth.  A lot easier to commute to your airline job as opposed to be a Reservist at Laughlin commuting.

Thanks for the insight, Azimuth. 

- I know few people who saw Altus as a good assignment--even before the RPA nonvol threat, it was--at best--the better of several bad alternatives. The idea of second-assignment FTU IPs being considered normal is frightening. I'm surprised at Altus' ability to hire reservists--yay us--but question how long that will last. Considering how quickly I perceive folks are moving up in seniority at the majors, I have a hard time seeing folks clinging to reserve jobs at Altus . . . but I'm happy to be wrong in this case.

Bringing this thread back on topic--if you go through T-1s at SUPT, this is great news!

-  If you go straight to your MWS and are a good pilot, you stand a good chance of flying lots (while getting kicked in the teeth with deployments/TDYs) on your first assignment, followed by a bunch of flying in a schoolhouse IP assignment, followed by . . . staff, because they'll need you there--and you'll be nonflying when you reach the end of your SUPT commitment. You'll probably backfill an 11F or 11S on staff, because those are the communities which are really short on bodies. Ok, maybe not great news for you, but great news for the Air Force anyway

- If you're a FAIP, really great news! You stand a great chance of flying your butt off as a FAIP, flying and deploying your butt off in an MWS assignment, then teaching at Altus for your third assignment. You will be physically, mentally and emotionally prepared to get out of the Air Force and go to the airlines at the earliest opportunity. The masses of reservists hanging out at Altus will be a great asset in helping you transition to the civil sector

- If you get RPAs, this is potentially good news. No, seriously: fly RPAs, then (hopefully) go to your mobility MWS for your second assignment, then FTU IP for your third . . . you'll be ready to lead the Air Force into its unmanned future, or follow your buddies to the majors

I'm sure glad 11Us and 11Fs are the only communities with manning issues. Otherwise, the above might come across as bad news for the Air Force.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Sheppard sucks for those guys that end up in heavies. It was supposed to be an RC-135 but instead there was a picture of a MC-130 and it said Offutt AFB. It obviously wasn't done with any ulterior motives, just a simple mistake, but the most disconcerting part was no one from leadership or with a mic corrected it after it flashed up on the screen. It sucks enough to be one of the few that don't get FAIP/fighter (if you wanted it).

Anybody know if the CV-22 was a student or a FAIP?

Student. 

Starting this FY, the CV-22 is once again open to Rucker; however, my understanding is that it's not exclusive to helo studs (as it used to be). AFPC will still pull from the T-1 / T-38 tracks as needed. 

---

PK... 

I'm a Sheppard grad and making broad generalizations about how guys that don't get fighters are treated is BS. That's purely an individual thing. Just because all the studs fly T-38's doesn't mean that it's fighter or bust. Case in point, I went through as they made the drops universally assignable. My Flight CC went out to find heavy guys to talk with us about that lifestyle. The dream sheets shifted dramatically afterwards and they went out to align guys as best they could. Total good through winging. Data point, we had 1/3 get fighters and 1 faip.

IP's that treat students differently based on their drops are probably the one tour Viper/Eagle douche that got sent to UPT instead of allowed to continue in their community. They're convinced it's politics and not because they suck as human beings. 

• Upvote 2

Sheppard is rapidly changing. There aren't even enough US fighter dudes to fill the T-38 side of the house. A couple T-38 turned Heavy dudes got orders to T-38s there recently and the Wing Commander tried to turn them down. AFPC said "okay but the slots will go unfilled, there are no 11Fs available." So heavy dudes have fully infiltrated ENJJPT now.

Tried to turn them down eh? That's funny/pathetic.

Sorry to hear that about Sheppard. The Wing CC when I was there was awesome, and seemed to genuinely care about the studs. I even flew with him in IFF a couple times and he was awesome. 

I know nothing about the current commander, but putting his 98.7 combat hours on his bio tells me a lot.

Tried to turn them down eh? That's funny/pathetic.

Sorry to hear that about Sheppard. The Wing CC when I was there was awesome, and seemed to genuinely care about the studs. I even flew with him in IFF a couple times and he was awesome. 

I know nothing about the current commander, but putting his 98.7 combat hours on his bio tells me a lot.

I've had months where I got more than that.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, Sheppard sucks for those guys that end up in heavies. It was supposed to be an RC-135 but instead there was a picture of a MC-130 and it said Offutt AFB. It obviously wasn't done with any ulterior motives, just a simple mistake, but the most disconcerting part was no one from leadership or with a mic corrected it after it flashed up on the screen. It sucks enough to be one of the few that don't get FAIP/fighter (if you wanted it).

Duck is spot on, I think half of the leadership there thought that was a legit assignment.  It's dissapointing that by the time someone reaches O-5 can know so little about the rest of the Air Force (particularly when they are deciding the future of young Lt's).  

• Upvote 1

Yeah I just don't see them flashing a picture of a Viper and saying it was a F-15C. Although that would make me laugh to watch the C model guys get their panties in a bunch. Kidding!

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of ENJJPT/Sheppard from a dude that graduated from there and is now there doing the whole flying thing, the comments above are pretty spot on. The place has just turned into a giant political circle J that likes to point out that it's an "international" program and "NATO" based and cares more about how it looks and acts politically among its partners than it actually cares about the training. Hell, the place sweeps up problems underneath the rug all the time to save face! A German Squad CC just got fired on the T-6 side of things after being at the helm for at most four months. The brass said he left because of personal reasons but the middle management has whispered behind the scenes saying the dude got canned for some seriously heinous stuff. On the T-6 side the fighter guys and heavy guys get along pretty well and develop a good atmosphere for the studs and paints a pretty good picture that there is more to the Air Force then being a Fighter/FAIP/Bomber guy. The 38 side is a lot different. Obviously a lot more focused on the Fighter side but I would argue to the point where they definitely put down and make fun of the "herbivores" as being lesser pilots and doing less of the mission. Hell, they even make fun of flying bombers and spec ops! Dudes that are doing the mission as we speak!  Now take that attitude as a student and roll that into drop night when you made it to the point of receiving an aircraft assignment from one of the hardest pilot training programs in the world and do not happen to get a fighter or FAIP because as well all know here, luck and timing are everything. That dude now feels a little bit less of themselves because the IPs they talked to and flew with in the past took a dump all over the aircraft that stud dropped. And as for the top brass here.....golly. I'll just let the combat hours and TV talk show host speak for themselves....

• Upvote 2