Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

they were chopped up and sold for scrap. Pennies on the dollar.

Before that, those perfectly good T-3s were run over with a bulldozer. I remember seeing pictures that someone posted of it here on BODN. The whole fleet run over at some civ airport down in Texas but can't remember where.

If memory serves weren't some of the T-3s problems were density altitude issues at the Zoo and some motor problems due to the funky/special motor Big Blue wanted vs. the standard issue motor Slingsby was using for the rest of their military customers?

USAF could have sold every last one of those airframes, sans motors if necessary, to the GA crowd and recovered at least some of the money spent on them.

Before that, those perfectly good T-3s were run over with a bulldozer. I remember seeing pictures that someone posted of it here on BODN. The whole fleet run over at some civ airport down in Texas but can't remember where.

If memory serves weren't some of the T-3s problems were density altitude issues at the Zoo and some motor problems due to the funky/special motor Big Blue wanted vs. the standard issue motor Slingsby was using for the rest of their military customers?

USAF could have sold every last one of those airframes, sans motors if necessary, to the GA crowd and recovered at least some of the money spent on them.

Having personally known three people who were very directly and personally impacted by T-3 crash fatalities, I'm glad the Air Force bulldozed them. I didn't know about the NPTS fatal crash (in an unmodified Firefly, I presume) until I read it above, but that tends to confirm my feelings. In the grand scheme of things, the money the Air Force forewent by not selling the T-3s to civilians was budget dust for AETC. Better to have the peace of mind that nobody else was going to die in an airplane multiple AD pilots refused to fly.

Valid points and no one should have screwed with the T-3 to give it more ooomph but the execution was flawed not the concept of a light GA & Aerobatic training aircraft for the USAF, in this case for professional skills, career incentive and morale. The AF hasn't given anybody any reason for confidence in acquiring airplanes lately but this is chance to begin the long road to redemption.

Valid points and no one should have screwed with the T-3 to give it more ooomph but the execution was flawed not the concept of a light GA & Aerobatic training aircraft for the USAF, in this case for professional skills, career incentive and morale. The AF hasn't given anybody any reason for confidence in acquiring airplanes lately but this is chance to begin the long road to redemption.

Good point. Given the overall budget, it seems an off-the-shelf, IFR-capable GA aircraft for 11Xs in RPA billets and (I would add) nonflying staff billets would be a reasonably cheap way to maintain pilot skills & thus shorted initial qual/requal training in much more expensive jets. If nothing else, the USAF could fund X hrs a month in a similar aircraft at the base flying club or local airport.

Good point. Given the overall budget, it seems an off-the-shelf, IFR-capable GA aircraft for 11Xs in RPA billets and (I would add) nonflying staff billets would be a reasonably cheap way to maintain pilot skills & thus shorted initial qual/requal training in much more expensive jets. If nothing else, the USAF could fund X hrs a month in a similar aircraft at the base flying club or local airport.

Thanks - I'm just going to guess that about 1,200 people direct RPAs in the USAF (WAG of 10% of the 12,000+ pilots in the AF). Assuming they each flew as a 2 place crew 150 hours a year at $300 per flight hour (high estimate) in a light aircraft that comes to $27 million and just a WAG but add 25% for support & logistics and that is $6.25 million for a grand WAG of $33.75 million. Not budget dust but not an impossible amount either. That doesn't account for procurement but figure you would get 150 at $150k and that is $22.5 million, again not a trivial amount but in the grand scheme of the AF, feasible with leadership. Just bar napkin math but this is not a flux capacitor, this is something that can be done.

Just wondering if any dudes at RPA assignments are trying to work fractional deals in the squadron(s)? The AF should have a companion aircraft but if big blue is not interested are pilots putting together ownership on a plane to split the costs and fly?

In case y'all were wondering about the recent FAIP assignments that came out here is what we got at Columbus: 

T-38:

3x F-16

4x A-10

4x F-15E

1x B-2 (top FAIP's first choice)

1x B-1

2x B-52

T-1:

2x C-130J Ramstein

C-130J Yokota

C-130J Dyess

C-130J Little Rock

MC-130J Kadena

HC-130 Moody

C-17 Elmo

C-17 McGuire

KC-10 McGuire

KC-10 Travis

KC-135 Mildenhall

E-3 Kadena

2x E-3 Tinker

E-8 Robbins

Overall awesome drop for the FAIPs, especially the 38 bros! Keeping the dream alive

Edited by Thumper3769

In case y'all were wondering about the recent FAIP assignments that came out here is what we got at Columbus: 

T-38:

3x F-16

4x A-10

4x F-15E

1x B-2 (top FAIP's first choice)

1x B-1

2x B-52

T-1:

2x C-130J Ramstein

C-130J Yokota

C-130J Dyess

C-130J Little Rock

MC-130J Kadena

HC-130 Moody

C-17 Elmo

C-17 McGuire

KC-10 McGuire

KC-10 Travis

KC-135 Mildenhall

E-3 Kadena

2x E-3 Tinker

E-8 Robbins

Overall awesome drop for the FAIPs, especially the 38 bros! Keeping the dream alive

Why do faips not get afsoc assignments? 

• 2 weeks later...

CBM 15-14

T38

F15/16 Singapore

F15/16 Singapore

Tornado/F15/? Saudi Arabia

F7 Nigeria

F16 Luke

T1

KC135 Shady J AFRC

HC130J Moody