Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

Now how about this....Stud gets RPAs on drop night. Realizes he has not graduated UPT yet and therefore has not incurred his 10 year commitment yet but knows his drop because drop is a month before graduation. If this stud SIE (self induced elimination) he does not owe 10 years now but 5 years (only 3 more after UPT really) and does not have the raw deal of flying drones. Now this guy who SIE can possibly go to an Army or Navy Guard/Reserve unit and get hired by them and sent to their flight school to actually fly. Pretty sure you can do that even if you SIE from the Air Force. (anyone know if that is actually true if you are eligible for a formal flying training with another branch if you SIE from the Air Force?) However if the stud SIE'd that late in the game after drop night, Big Blue would probably make him pay for all the money spent on him for training back since they would probably put 2 and 2 together and see he is probably SIEing because he got drones.

This was back in the late 90's, but a college buddy of mine, SIE'd in the T-37 phase, served out the remainder of his AF time (approx 3 years) in acquisitions, separated, then joined the Navy where they sent him to pilot training and he had a long career flying Hornets (C through E/F).

Cap-10

XL 15-13

T-38

F-16 international

F-16 Luke

B-52 Barksdale

C-130H Elmendorf AFRC

T-38 FAIP

T-1

C130J Dyess

C-17 McChord

MQ-9x2 Creech

KC-10x2 McGuire

C-17 McChord AFRC

C-5 Kelly AFRC

C-17 Jackson AFRC

KC-10 Travis

C-130J Little Rock

T-1 FAIP

AC-130U Hurlburt

C-130H Little Rock

Welcome to the suck gents! For those that dropped RPAs, seriously this is probably the best time in your career to get that assignment. At least at this point senior leadership is promising you will have a manned aircraft follow on. Those guys at Charleston/McChord that just got them in the VML have no such promise and will probably never make it out of the RPA black hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the RPA selects take it?

Vance: 1 guy was disappointed, but accepted it. The other guy, not so well.

END 15-13

T-38:

B-1

F-15E

T-38 FAIP

T-1:

MQ-9 x2

T-38

KC-135 Birmingham ANG

To finish up the T-1 studs:

RC-135, Offutt

C-130H, Minneapolis AFRC

MC-130J, Mildenhall

KC-135 McConnell AFRC

KC-10 Travis

C-17 Elmendorf

MC-130J Kadena

KC-135 McConnell

T-1 FAIP Vance

E-3 Tinker

C-130J LR

C-130J Ramstein

2X MQ-9 Creech and Ellsworth

edited: clarified -135 ANG was T-38 stud

Edited by Vicious3027

Details man, you can't just leave us with nothing. They really should pull guys to the side beforehand and give them a heads up if they're getting an RPA.

Agreed. Crushing a dude in front of his family, friends, and peers isn't cool. It's not like he wanted an F-22 and got an F-16 or a C-17 and got an E-8 and he/she made a scene. It's squashing their dream of flying.

Giving him a heads up a day before so he can have some composure is the right thing to do IMO.

This was back in the late 90's, but a college buddy of mine, SIE'd in the T-37 phase, served out the remainder of his AF time (approx 3 years) in acquisitions, separated, then joined the Navy where they sent him to pilot training and he had a long career flying Hornets (C through E/F).

Cap-10

Heard of something similar to this but in this story the dude was eliminated rather than SIE and he applied and got picked up for WO and now flies Apaches.

Agreed. Crushing a dude in front of his family, friends, and peers isn't cool. It's not like he wanted an F-22 and got an F-16 or a C-17 and got an E-8 and he/she made a scene. It's squashing their dream of flying.

Giving him a heads up a day before so he can have some composure is the right thing to do IMO.

No one should get a kick in the junk in public without getting a text to wear your cup tomorrow.

As soon as "don't fear the reaper" was playing in the background, he pretty much knew right then. On the long walk back to the rest of class, you could tell he was trying to hold it back. I kept taking occasional looks behind me to see how he was doing. Some sobbing, but nothing gross I would say. I didn't see him the rest of the night.

The dude worked his ass off only to find out only 2 weeks before drop that starting with our class 2 unlucky souls were getting reap'd, when there was absolutely nothing anyone could do at that point to increase their MASS (sp?) scores. I feel bad for him in that regard, but they are telling us that they will get a fixed wing after they are done with the RPA tour. He will be okay.

I agree, the right thing to do would have been to pull those guys aside and say, "prepare yourself". Dropping that bomb in front of everyone had to be done, but yeah, it could have been handled a little better.

I would like to think that when Gen Welsh gives us his word, his successor will honor that. Only time will tell.

Maybe, maybe not. Look how the Masters requirement for promotion keeps changing almost every CSAF.

Edited by Azimuth

The dude worked his ass off only to find out only 2 weeks before drop that starting with our class 2 unlucky souls were getting reap'd, when there was absolutely nothing anyone could do at that point to increase their MASS (sp?) scores. I feel bad for him in that regard, but they are telling us that they will get a fixed wing after they are done with the RPA tour. He will be okay.

I agree, the right thing to do would have been to pull those guys aside and say, "prepare yourself". Dropping that bomb in front of everyone had to be done, but yeah, it could have been handled a little better.

I don't get it. So if he had known from the beginning of UPT that UAVs were an option he would have "worked his ass off" harder? Working his ass off like he did obviously earned him in the bottom two of his class so there should be some motivation to not end up there, UAV or not in the drop.

I don't get it. So if he had known from the beginning of UPT that UAVs were an option he would have "worked his ass off" harder? Working his ass off like he did obviously earned him in the bottom two of his class so there should be some motivation to not end up there, UAV or not in the drop.

...here we go again