Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

Any SA on the last round of tracks? I know CBM got 3 active 38s and the guy that got helo wanted it.  
Somewhere I heard Laughlin put out something like 11 38s and no Tones.  

Last CBM Track Select (Class 17-13, active duty only)

3x T-38 CBM
1x T-38 to ENJJPT
2x UH-1. Both wanted helos
Rest to T-1s

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

1 hour ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

Last CBM Track Select (Class 17-13, active duty only)

3x T-38 CBM

The 38 Squadron here at Columbus is stretched pretty thin right now. Maintenance has been sub par at best, combined with large classes...we're flying 7 days a week and still barely keeping to the timeline. Baby classes are going 20+ days (after hitting the flt line) without flying so senior classes can finish.

Wouldn't be surprised to see classes tracking ~4 for a few months.

Edited by Rooster

15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Are you saying this is an unusually large or small number for the current atmosphere, or "business as usual?"

3-4 AD was pretty standard before FY17. Classes in 17 have all ranged from 5 to 8 (plus the occasional Shepard slot) depending on the number of internationals. 

Edited by Rooster

3 hours ago, Rooster said:

The 38 Squadron here at Columbus is stretched pretty thin right now. Maintenance has been sub par at best, combined with large classes...we're flying 7 days a week and still barely keeping to the timeline. Baby classes are going 20+ days (after hitting the flt line) without flying so senior classes can finish.

Wouldn't be surprised to see classes tracking ~4 for a few months.

7 days a week?!  Sounds like a fun time to be a 38 IP... leave an ops unit for a break, only to find out you traded in your weekends for the foreseeable future

• Upvote 1

If MX is struggling, 7 days/week of flying doesn't always mean that all the IPs are working 7 days.  If only 80% of the jets you need can be available on any given day, then you gotta spread the flying into the weekend to stay on timeline.  

That would mean that smart leadership (not a given in today's USAF, I know) would rotate the bodies to ensure that IPs are getting days off during the week.  

Still, UPT manning "overhead" (like RSU controllers, Ops Supervisors, SOFs, etc) still have to be at work, so it's pretty damn inefficient from a manpower perspective.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Trogdor said:

7 days a week?!  Sounds like a fun time to be a 38 IP... leave an ops unit for a break, only to find out you traded in your weekends for the foreseeable future

White jets were not a break. It was more of the same coming from the CAF.

The T-6 community at my base is getting hit with all the additional manning (SOF, Wg jobs, etc) to help keep the T-38s a float. That's all gonna come crashing down when the T-6s get surged this summer. Pain trains coming! Wooo wooo!

20 minutes ago, Duck said:

The T-6 community at my base is getting hit with all the additional manning (SOF, Wg jobs, etc) to help keep the T-38s a float. That's all gonna come crashing down when the T-6s get surged this summer. Pain trains coming! Wooo wooo!

On the T-6 side we're seeing 14-15 per flight (28-30 per class) and are being told that that number is going to keep going up.

On the T-6 side we're seeing 14-15 per flight (28-30 per class) and are being told that that number is going to keep going up.

Where is this at? I know the largest producing base in 2016 (DLF) is currently at 12-13 per flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure DLF is looking to push the numbers closer to 30 per class at some point. Which I am sure will be interesting with no cross countries in T-6's.
That being said, they have been washing some people forward classes of late.

X-C has been taken out of the T-6 syllabus?

Also, they are washing forward?

2 minutes ago, the g-man said:

X-C has been taken out of the T-6 syllabus?

Also, they are washing forward?

Yes. DLF has washed forward a couple into Phase 3 (38s only, I believe) since they were T-6 complete very early.

Newer classes are doing hybrid form/instruments after final contact at DLF foregoing XCs for Out & Backs. 

Semantics, but doing the T-6 NAV block as out n back was always an option in the syllabus. So nothing has been "taken out". It's just some decision the muckity mucks made to save a nickel and spend a pound (and piss off mx in the process, as their overtime gravy train was the weekend XC). Ah big blue, a-word hiring like gangbusters and they're still pissing off the rank and file. LOL Holy cognitive dissonance batman. Stand by for decision reversal....

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, FishBowl said:

Yes. DLF has washed forward a couple into Phase 3 (38s only, I believe) since they were T-6 complete very early.

Newer classes are doing hybrid form/instruments after final contact at DLF foregoing XCs for Out & Backs. 

Last track was 2 to T-38s and 1 to T-1's for the wash forwards. Rumor is up to 5 coming forward for the next track.

Well it's only a short term test...

With that said the off station RON was taken out of the syllabus years ago. The X/C was a timeline savior for T-6s as you can gain on the timeline for each student.

This is also just a step to get rid of weekend flying all together.

As for the wash forwards, not sure how it actually helps anything other than making sure phase three doesn't get bogged down if wash backs occur (making the phase three class larger). The most recent was three wash forwards (2x T38/1x T1).

For the Vance bubbas - did they get the Woodring runway extension done?  Is that how they are getting 38 dudes to fly 7 days?

Sounds friggin miserable. I hope leadership is taking care of the IP cadre to make sure they get 2/week off. I was teaching at Luke when we had dudes waiting a year for FTU back in 2009/10, and that was before we closed 2 SQs there. This has dumpster fire written all over it.