Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

2 RPA's per class per base

They've been told one tour on RPA's and then they get to return to a manned aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suposidly the CSAF signed a memo guaranteeing us a manned aircraft after this assignment. We were suppose to have said memo in hand with all the details in it "later this week". It's been 2 months.  No one has any idea about the details of this assignment, 3 years? 4 years etc. MPF has no idea (more than usual) how our training and orders should be written, TDY, PCS TDY en route, PCS then TDY, I leave for the B course in a few weeks. I'll happily take my assignment and move on, UPT was a awesome expierence, and knowing the outcome I would do it all over. I however will not believe they will sending us back to manned aircraft until I'm strapped in an actual cockpit. 

• Upvote 2

Suposidly the CSAF signed a memo guaranteeing us a manned aircraft after this assignment. We were suppose to have said memo in hand with all the details in it "later this week". It's been 2 months.  No one has any idea about the details of this assignment, 3 years? 4 years etc. MPF has no idea (more than usual) how our training and orders should be written, TDY, PCS TDY en route, PCS then TDY, I leave for the B course in a few weeks. I'll happily take my assignment and move on, UPT was a awesome expierence, and knowing the outcome I would do it all over. I however will not believe they will sending us back to manned aircraft until I'm strapped in an actual cockpit. 

That is a good attitude to have. Having been in your shoes, I will tell you I didn't believe it until they sent the first guys back. But they sent us all back that wanted to leave. I like to think they will hold that promise. When I got them Norty was CSAF and made the promise going back. Welsh kept to that. My hope is the next CSAF will do the same. Time will tell. And just know attitude will most likely come into play when you do get back to a manned cockpit. Keep your head up. All of us UPT-D made it out that wanted too and didn't drink the kool aid they tried to make us drink.

• Upvote 1

Almost 20% of the AD guys from T-1s are getting the MQ-9. (Assuming the last few drop reports here have been accurate). For those of you dreamers reading this post... Choose wisely.

You think 20% is bad I think the next one from XL with be 33%. I think there are six assignable studs in that class.

quick update on Rucker drops, since no one there has been posting them recently - this is from a convo I had last week with a Rucker IP. 

Drops favor 60s over Hueys (last class had something like 5 60s and 3 Hueys) these days.  Expect 5 ish FAIP drops in a year (which typically go to those who ask for them), and CV-22s will be starting to drop again at Rucker (unknown amount, but my guess would be near the same number of FAIP drops, give or take, from historical averages when they were dropping before).

• Upvote 2

quick update on Rucker drops, since no one there has been posting them recently - this is from a convo I had last week with a Rucker IP. 

Drops favor 60s over Hueys (last class had something like 5 60s and 3 Hueys) these days.  Expect 5 ish FAIP drops in a year (which typically go to those who ask for them), and CV-22s will be starting to drop again at Rucker (unknown amount, but my guess would be near the same number of FAIP drops, give or take, from historical averages when they were dropping before).

Forgive my ignorance, I'm an ad pilot select and going to ots in a few weeks. How many rotorwing slots are needed annually/per track select? Also, is the osprey bro-hood pretty tight knit or eat your own society? The rotor wing side intrigues me that's why I ask. A little background about myself: I'm a commercial civilian fixed winged pilot (crop duster) and would like to be in the air on the military side and not a drone if avoidable, but I will take what I'm assigned.

• 3 weeks later...

3 x questions regarding UPT grads assigned to T-38 adversary squadrons at Langley/Tyndall:

1) Is this a sought after assignment?

2) Are these grads guaranteed an F-22 follow-on? If so how long should they expect to fly T-38s before the transition? If not, are there any guarantees given at all? Any examples of these pilots not becoming Raptor drivers?

3) Do they attend IFF prior to arriving at Langley/Tyndall?

Thanks. 

3 x questions regarding UPT grads assigned to T-38 adversary squadrons at Langley/Tyndall:

2) Are these grads guaranteed an F-22 follow-on? If so how long should they expect to fly T-38s before the transition? If not, are there any guarantees given at all? Any examples of these pilots not becoming Raptor drivers?

Thanks. 

3x answers, but they're probably not the ones you're hoping for.

1) Everyone has individual wants/needs.  There are people who would cut off their left finger to do it, others who will take whatever fighter type assignment is offered, and still others who want to fly something that will easily segue into an airline job.

2) No.  There are no guarantees.  You are always beholden to the needs of the AF for 10 years after you earn those wings.  That said, the AF is very good at MAKING promises.

3)  Think about it.  What do adversaries do?  Do you think it would be safe to have someone out there that's never been introduced to fighter fundamentals in a dogfight with a bunch of other $100M+ fighters/pilots?

Almost 20% of the AD guys from T-1s are getting the MQ-9. (Assuming the last few drop reports here have been accurate). For those of you dreamers reading this post... Choose wisely.

A little confused, so if you are a pilot select from AD, you can still get an RPA even though you only put down pilot and got selected for pilot? Is this the same for AFRC Unsponsored?

A little confused, so if you are a pilot select from AD, you can still get an RPA even though you only put down pilot and got selected for pilot? Is this the same for AFRC Unsponsored?

"Selected for pilot" just means you are going to UPT. That doesn't guarantee you won't get an RPA, or wash out and reclass to any other AFSC in the AF.

Thanks. 

I'll add my 2 cents....

1.  Depends on the class I'm sure.  If there are no F-22s and someone really wants one, they frequently take the T-38 adversary assignment.  I'd definitely recommend contacting some Lts in the 2 FTS (Tyndall) or 71 FTS (Langley) to get their take but I can tell you from personal observation that they tend to really enjoy the assignment.  

2.  They were as of early this year.  Not sure about current ROE.  So far none have lost their F-22, several are already through the B-course, several more are currently in training, and many more are fragged against upcoming classes. 

3.  Yes, the F-22 track.

If you want more info or contact info, PM me.

Thanks. 

1. Yes. Obviously upt grads would rather go straight to the raptor, but this is still a way into a raptor. 

2. Yes .... So far. 100% success. So far. Ymmv.  Our knuckle heads are generally here almost 2 years before the b-course.  You have a much better chance of sparing forward into a b-course from Tyndall than from Langley (no pcs required)

3.  Yes. 

CBM 16-01 (T-38)

F-16 x 2 (Holloman & Tuscon... Both AD)

T-6 FAIP

T-38 FAIP

B-52

Eurofighter & Tornado (Both Saudi)

CBM 16-01 (T-1)

C-17 x 2 (1 Charleston, 1 ANG)

KC-135 x 2 (McConnell, 1 AFRC)

T-1 FAIP

T-6 FAIP