Type ratings while in UPT

Guest justaflyer

Guest street

I was just wondering for those people going the T-44/C-12 route if they get typed? I know in the civilian world a Be-200 King Air was right at 12,500 GW, which would not require one.

I wasn't sure if the military versions operated at a higher Gross weight requiring a type rating.

Also, does the T-6 Texan II require one?

There is a type rating for the T-44/C-12. I was told that the KA is weight limited for FAA regs so that it would not require a type rating, but the military operates at a high MTOW. I had a guy on my jumpseat that had it listed (BE200), so I'm sure they do or in the past have given type ratings in the KA.

I thought your unit would want to send you through T-1s since you get to see all that glass in the J model when you get back!

I don't think there is a type for the T-6 since there is not a civil equivalent. I asked someone in the know and they said they contacted the FSDO about it. That's why you don't get a type for the -37 and do in the T-1.

[ 08. June 2004, 16:02: Message edited by: CHQ Pilot ]

Yes, when you finish your final intrument check in Corpus you qualify for a type rating. Either BE90 for the T-44 or BE200 for the TC-12.

Regarding T-1s, I have no idea b/c I never flew them, but I would think you might be eligible since it's just a souped up Beech 800.

HD

[ 08. June 2004, 17:36: Message edited by: HercDriver24 ]

I'm sure your FSDO will know what they are doing, but make sure they put the Diamond (MU300) type on there. It is listed as two seperate types on a certificate and I was told that unless both are placed on the application it may not show up automatically. That was a few years ago, so maybe the FAA has their act together by now and knows it is all the same.

Roger that.

BTW, If anyone out there is not planning on doing the $75-ish dollar military competency exam during or towards the end of UPT, put the crack pipe down and reconsider. It will never be this easy or cheap to get your ratings again, and do it now while it's still fresh in your head and you have others to study the gouge with.

Even if you plan to stay on AD for the next 45 years, who knows what will happen to you (i.e. Force Reshaping)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RoninCo

i dont know specifically about the T-6, but in the T-34 (T-6 is a SUPER souped up version of this) you get SINGLE ENG. COMMERCIAL rating. I also think i got some type of beech rating out of it, though i cant remember for sure. Also, DO the competency exams for all those ratings at the end. the test is cake, just some minor studying. people pay THOUSANDS of dollars to get these ratings in the civilian world.

-RoninCo

Guest MEH9030

PAB,

Can you share a little more about the military competency exam and what it does for you???? My apologies for being clueless

-Mike

The ATP test sucks. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where you got your hours for ATP. It takes a lot more than an equivalency sheet. How many microphones must be on a plane carrying 99 or more passengers? What are these powered by and where are they located? What is significant about the power and their location? Typical ATP question. Start studying, good luck.

Guest Retired AF
Originally posted by Sneedro:

In addition to type ratings, are you able to get your ATP the same way?? i.e. take an exam, have something signed, and then go see the FSDO??

No, doesn't work that way. Each individual command can allow different policies. When I was in AFSC (back in the day) if you had taken the regular ATP written, and were up on a regular checkride, and could find a FAA examiner qualified in the civilian equivalent aircraft, he could jumpseat on your AF checkride and give a concurrent ATP check. Not too much chance of this happening on a regular basis today.