Gate months

WHAP

I tried searching, but i didnt come up with anything. I keep hearing about gates you have to make as pilot to progress in your career. What are these gates? Is this something that I can find somewhere on AFPCs maze of a website? Thanks for the help.

If memory serves...

Once you are on flying status (should start at UFT), you begin to accumulate gate months as long as you are assigned a position that requires you to fly. In order to continue receiving flight pay, you have to accumulate so many months of flying by specific gates (12 years, 18, 22 and 25). You are required to make 96 months by the 12 year point, then 120 for 18, then 144 after that.

You can still get flight pay if you are actively flying (4 hours/month) even if you didn't meet your gates.

So, fly as much as possible before you get sent to a staff job. Could mean big bucks later on.

OFDA “gates” are governed by AFI 11-401 (which was directed by congress).

The gates are basically a measuring posted established by congress to make sure that only deserving people collect flight pay.

There are basically three gates, all assume you remain medically qualified even if not flying;

Gate 1. If you accumulate 96 OFDA months by your 12th year of aviation service, you are guaranteed to receive flight pay until your 18th year of aviation service.

Gate 2. If you accumulate 120 OFDA months by your 18th year of aviation service, you are guaranteed to receive flight pay until your 22nd year of aviation service.

Gate 3. If you accumulate 144 OFDA months by your 18th year of aviation service, you are guaranteed to receive flight pay until your 25th year of aviation service.

There are waivers but they can only be pursued when you are within one year of losing your flight pay and they can be difficult to get. In my case, I will be pursing a waiver because I did the ASG program followed by an Airstaff tour.

[ 23. February 2006, 12:53: Message edited by: ClearedHot ]

Don't sweat making first gate. 96 months (8 years) sounds like a lot, but I'm just entering my 9th yr and I've already passed 96 gate months. So in theory all you need is 3 flying tours, and you could even tolerate a 3 year non-flying tour, and still meet the 96 by 12 year point.

Hoser

Clearhot shacked the info. The HARM stops tracking after gaining 195 "Gate" months. Also remember as you pass 22yrs AD time with 144 or more gate months your flight pay begins the downward spiral and each year after you get less and less.

Originally posted by Eeyore:

Also remember as you pass 22yrs AD time with 144 or more gate months your flight pay begins the downward spiral and each year after you get less and less.

Getting less is better then getting none.

Hoser

How common is it to get 4+ operational tours before you get nailed by a staff job. I'd much rather want to go back to UPT and teach than do that.

Originally posted by Rocker:

When do senior and command pilot ratings come down? I recall seeing that it was hours for some airframes and gate months for others.

It's not airframe dependent, it's based on total military flying hours and pilot hours. From AFI 11-402-

Senior Pilot - 7 years rated service as a pilot, and 2000 total pilot hours or 72 (gate) months.

Command Pilot - 15 years rated service and 3000 total hours or 144 (gate) months.

You can switch airframes and even services and have the cumulative number of hours apply to your rating. From talking to MPF, they said most people hit the gate months before they hit the year/hour point.

Originally posted by Apollo:

How common is it to get 4+ operational tours before you get nailed by a staff job. I'd much rather want to go back to UPT and teach than do that.

First off, don't confuse 'Operational tour' with 'Flying tour.' UPT is a flying tour, it is not operational. 4+ operational tours is rare to non-existent. 4+ flying tours is not unheard of - I'm on my third consecutive flying tour (not including UPT or FTU student).

I'm sure most people would rather fly than go to a staff job, but it's not good for career progression. If your objective in the AF is to fly as much as possible and retire as a major, then that would suit you just fine. If you'd like to make it to O-5 and above, you'd better be willing to accept a staff job.

• 1 month later...
Guest AirGuardian

As most have noted about the decrease of flight pay after 22 years of flight DUTY, you might be coming up on the rank of B. General by then which makes up for any flight pay loss by the shear pay increase in rank.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which is doubtful in this case. O-7s and above are not authorized Flight Pay!!!!

In my limited AETC experience the only guy I've met to fly his entire career got thru to Maj and volunteered to go remote for a year and come back to fly T-1s. He'll retire as a major with 19/20 years flying.

Less conventional approach, fly your ass off and then compete for a full time reservist position at a UPT base. I've known a couple of reservists that have done this.

• 2 months later...
Guest c6211410

So, just to be sure.

If I leave my flying job with 96 gate months and go to a staff job, I will continue to receive flight pay during my non-flying staff tour?

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by Diamond:

So, just to be sure.

If I leave my flying job with 96 gate months and go to a staff job, I will continue to receive flight pay during my non-flying staff tour?

Yes. 96 gates months by 12 years gets you flight pay until 18 yrs.

Hoser

• 6 years later...

Anyone here know if you crossflow from Nav/ABM to Pilot do you lose gate months if you go on casual awaiting to class up?

In related news, if you were a prior enlisted flyer that crosses to Pilot, do your gate months/flight pay completely start over?

Going from Nav to Pilot, you do not lose your gate months. Your flight pay also doesn't suffer, so even as a Co-pilot, you'll probably be making more in flight pay than the guy sitting next to you. However, your clock for senior/command ratings start over e.g. I'm a Major with over 9 years of flying service, but only have basic pilot wings.

• 4 years later...
On 2/23/2006 at 10:52 AM, ClearedHot said:

OFDA “gates” are governed by AFI 11-401 (which was directed by congress).

The gates are basically a measuring posted established by congress to make sure that only deserving people collect flight pay.

There are basically three gates, all assume you remain medically qualified even if not flying;

Gate 1. If you accumulate 96 OFDA months by your 12th year of aviation service, you are guaranteed to receive flight pay until your 18th year of aviation service.

Gate 2. If you accumulate 120 OFDA months by your 18th year of aviation service, you are guaranteed to receive flight pay until your 22nd year of aviation service.

Gate 3. If you accumulate 144 OFDA months by your 18th year of aviation service, you are guaranteed to receive flight pay until your 25th year of aviation service.

There are waivers but they can only be pursued when you are within one year of losing your flight pay and they can be difficult to get. In my case, I will be pursing a waiver because I did the ASG program followed by an Airstaff tour.

[ 23. February 2006, 12:53: Message edited by: ClearedHot ]

To clarify, because the afi is confusing, if I go to a non flying staff job with less than 96 months, but remain medically qualified, do I continue flight pay to 12 years aviation service? 

To clarify, because the afi is confusing, if I go to a non flying staff job with less than 96 months, but remain medically qualified, do I continue flight pay to 12 years aviation service? 

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk