Jump School on AD?

Guest Det.028.ARNIE

Guest Det.028.ARNIE

I always wanted to do freefall at the academy or airborne training but I know that will be very hard to go to since there are so many cadets at Riddle that want that as well. So I was wondering is there any way you can go to jump school when you go AD? If so, how do you get it and how competitive is it? Lastly, I will be going to field training soon and I have an injured wrist. Will they let me wear a wrist guard (it's pretty small)?

Guest AirGuardian

Getting an Airborne slot just to go is a tough endeavor with no real justification or job related criteria for backing purposes...

Recatagorize into Combat Weather, Tactical Air Control Party (TACP)Officer in Charge, Combat Control Team(CCT), or Pararescue(newest officer addition) are obvious ways to get Airborne qualified, HALO/HAHO, Scuba, Combat Medic, Air Assault, Raven, Pathfinder, Ranger school and Controller qualifications, etc. For the winged/line officer folks, it's more of a justification process once on AD. If you could somehow justify your AFSC or current job requirements and parallel them to one of the course I mentioned above than its doable with some paperwork and equipment supply issue. Example: I was sent to Airborne in a different capacity, but I did manage to secure an Air Assault slot thru an A-10 squadron. They had slots allocated since they send a few screaming bloody murder pilots to ALO positions and I stole one of them after a few cases of beer and my work with a Rescue squadron in the AD AF. So it is possible, but hard to justify for the heck of it. Unfortunately there are a number of lost slots each year which are allocated for a few lucky(depending on your view of Army training) individuals in several Army courses! Doesn't help if your boss doesn't see any value letting you go for a few weeks to have some fun.

Arnie

Best of my knowledge, you have to be in a J-prefix (jump qual'd) position to go to airborne. I can't recall anyone going on AD outside of that. However, I have known two AD officers who went to air assault school without it being tied to their position (sts)... Also, a very rare opportunity arose for me and I go to train and jump with a foreign special forces, so I now wear their wings.

My advice, try hard to go while a cadet. It's your best cahnce.

Good luck! M2

Guest deweygcc

Yeah best shot is a cadet. Or somehow managing to get attached to an army unit once AD, now that would be cool for a bit, but 3 years..... AAAAHHHHHH

Deweygcc

...get attached to an army unit once AD...
Yeah, but be sure that Army unit is airborne! I am stuck in an Army organization at the moment (it's called EUCOM) and there is no ****ing way any of us would get to do anything remotely enjoyable during this tour. It is against Army policy/regulations to have any fun...

However, allowing things to suck (sts) is highly encouraged! HUA!

Aw, **** it, at least the is good!

Cheers! M2