Radio etiquette

Guest rotorhead

Guest SATCOM

For ATC the we use the FAA Handbook 7110.65. Google that and you'll get a bunch of phraseology.

Is there an AFI or other reference used in SUPT for teaching standard radio phraseology to students that is available online? Danke...

When you show up and get your pubs, you'll get a set of the SQ standards and local guidelines that outlines basically everything you say on the radio, including talking with the RSU. When in doubt, <who you're talking to> <who you are> <what you want>

If you already know where you're going to UPT, you could get a copy from one of your bros. A lot of it may not make sense to you, but it's really not all that difficult.

It would be nice if C-17 folks would be given a copy of this before they show up in the AOR. Somehow they always seem to sound like drunken monkeys on the radio. Here are a few helpful hints: Stop saying UMM or UHH before you speak. Figure out what you are going to say before you key the mic. Be brief for chrissakes. There are enough issues with the army jamming radios over ORBI without the Reach's coming in there and jamming up approach with their incessant UHH's. Sounding like Lumberg on a busy approach freq pisses people off. :M16:

As a side note it sounds really cool when at the Died, you tell command post you need a mx troop out to your plane because, and I quote, "our computer wont let us take off." Now that is pure radio awesomeness. :rainbow:

Ive been here too long.

• 2 years later...

Anybody know where the term "elevator" really comes from (does it have a more specific meaning)? I couldn't find it in the brevity guide and it doesn't seem to really be any shorter than saying "climb/descend". Just one of those phrases that gets passed on I guess?

Anybody know where the term "elevator" really comes from (does it have a more specific meaning)? I couldn't find it in the brevity guide and it doesn't seem to really be any shorter than saying "climb/descend". Just one of those phrases that gets passed on I guess?

Was wondering the same thing. The use of "angels" as well...

Somewhat related, I don't understand why some people like to be extremely quiet/ mumble on the radios. I hear this from a lot of the C-17 folks. Mumbling in a very quiet voice so you sound half asleep doesn't make you sound cool, it makes you sound like a moron... and in some cases (position reports and whatnot in the AOR) it can even be dangerous. I'm not saying you have to yell, but talk like you've got a pair.

Was wondering the same thing. The use of "angels" as well...

Somewhat related, I don't understand why some people like to be extremely quiet/ mumble on the radios. I hear this from a lot of the C-17 folks. Mumbling in a very quiet voice so you sound half asleep doesn't make you sound cool, it makes you sound like a moron... and in some cases (position reports and whatnot in the AOR) it can even be dangerous. I'm not saying you have to yell, but talk like you've got a pair.

At least angels is in the guide.

Dude called for the barrier once when he was landing, except he was saying it in a whisper so no one knew what was happening until the jet ended up off the end of the runway. You'd think if your brakes weren't working you might be a little excited.

Elevator is a request to be cleared to climb or descend through blocks of airspace you don't own during an engagement. For example, you are red air during a defensive counter air sortie and you get killed while trying to sneak in low. When you turn back to go regen, you could ask the controller for an elevator up which means you think you are clear of any conflicts but you don't have enough SA to know for sure. This obviously requires the radios to be fairly quiet and the controller to not be busy which won't happen much unless all the red air is dead and flowing back to regen. Climb or descend is usually a command as opposed to elevator, which is a request.

I'm a bit late to this game, but here's my two cents regarding "clearance on request" coming from the airplane. The way it was instructed/explained to me is that YOU (the pilot) using that phrase is telling ground, CD, whomever that you have filed a flight plan and are requesting clearance based on that filed flight plan. Maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense to me.

The double tap radio call "kabul kabul", "how copy", etc are all extraneous radio garbage, as are Americans checking in with Salami Lickem.

My #1 all time rage inducing pet peeve though is secure compromise. Either pass everything in the clear, or pass everything coded. If you use one aspect of secure comm, then compromise it with either context or further information, it's 10x worse than just passing everything in the clear in the first place, since you just compromised the secure side of communication. THINK about what you are saying, and who can glean what BEFORE you key the mic!

My biggest pet peeve is "At this time." "Copy all, nothing suspicious AT THIS TIME." "Descending to 5000 feet AT THIS TIME."

2. That and "Level at Flight Level 280".

My biggest pet peeve is "At this time." "Copy all, nothing suspicious AT THIS TIME." "Descending to 5000 feet AT THIS TIME."

I would agree with you 98% of the time, but when you've had 5+ radio calls telling you to expect a climb in X minutes, stating what you are CURRENTLY doing can provide SA to the controller and others around you.

My #1 all time rage inducing pet peeve though is secure compromise. Either pass everything in the clear, or pass everything coded. If you use one aspect of secure comm, then compromise it with either context or further information, it's 10x worse than just passing everything in the clear in the first place, since you just compromised the secure side of communication. THINK about what you are saying, and who can glean what BEFORE you key the mic!

I cant count the number of times I or the LM have called into CP what we have on board using code... only to have CP come back with "Copy, youve got 40 Pax, 4 pallets and 2 Hum-vees, standby for parking."

And every time I wrote up that they comprimised the codewords... and everytime the CAOC went ballistic when I told them why. Is this stuff not taught to CP personnel?

Chuck

Guest Sandlapper

It would be nice if C-17 folks would be given a copy of this before they show up in the AOR. Somehow they always seem to sound like drunken monkeys on the radio. Here are a few helpful hints: Stop saying UMM or UHH before you speak. Figure out what you are going to say before you key the mic. Be brief for chrissakes. There are enough issues with the army jamming radios over ORBI without the Reach's coming in there and jamming up approach with their incessant UHH's. Sounding like Lumberg on a busy approach freq pisses people off. :M16:

As a side note it sounds really cool when at the Died, you tell command post you need a mx troop out to your plane because, and I quote, "our computer wont let us take off." Now that is pure radio awesomeness. :rainbow:

Ive been here too long.

Your little rant here makes you sound like the ugly girl at the prom talking about what "bitches" the pretty girls are...don't stop, though - it's entertaining. Anywho, I imagine there are plenty of post-1950 airplanes out there whose newfangled "computers" and "avionics" are MEL items. But hey, I get it...you're the Herk guy.

• Downvote 1

..."how copy", etc are all extraneous radio garbage...

This can be useful if you want someone to read back something that isn't a required read back item but you want to be 100% sure they got it.

You're mostly right and that's a hard one to break. OK in very specific circumstances but mostly that's a beer if you say "at this time."

Your little rant here makes you sound like the ugly girl at the prom talking about what "bitches" the pretty girls are...don't stop, though - it's entertaining. Anywho, I imagine there are plenty of post-1950 airplanes out there whose newfangled "computers" and "avionics" are MEL items. But hey, I get it...you're the Herk guy.

Great retort, but you lose cool points when it takes three years for your comeback.

• Upvote 2

it's entertaining.

Not really, especially when I'm on an alert launch at BAF and it takes some co-pilot 5 minutes to read back a clearance with all the "uhms" and "uhhs". Not to mention the unnecessary garbage like "on takeoff we will fly runway heading up to FL170 and then turn left to 210... uhh..., then over to Kabul Center on 169.00 and uhhh... Callsign XX will squawk 5560" instead of "Callsign XX, runway heading to 170, left 210, Kabul on 169.00, squawk 5560".

Truth be told, though, I've heard some pretty brutal readbacks across to board (including our own guys). I appreciate wanting to defend a community but downrange is no place to fire off a long-winded readback; there's more going on downrange than an airland from OAIX to LTAG.

Guest Sandlapper

kelso-burn.jpg

I just discovered the internet & it's taking me a while to get through it all.

Guest Crew Report

Do those newfangled computers now tell you when the gear is down and locked?

The worst are hearing C-17's trying to contact Manas Command Post from Kabul every five minutes.

Edited by Crew Report
  • Downvote 2

Do those newfangled computers now tell you when the gear is down and locked?

It does, but that only works if you actually listen to the computers...coincidentally, almost every retractable gear plane ever made tells you when the gear's not down. It's called not being able to slow to approach speed with the throttles at flight idle. But once again, you have to be paying attention to plane to notice this.