Air to Air Photos of Military Aircraft

Helitac

I'm curious why you think anyone needs super cruise to intercept a Bear.

That wasn't really the point of my question. I'm not too familiar with super cruise really, for me it's exceeding .74M. However, I would think the extra drag might make higher cruising speeds harder to attain. Do you need super cruise to intercept a Bear? Maybe, probably depends on the situation. If you have F22s sitting alert, do you want the ability to intercept any threat at a further distance from the ADIZ? I thought that was the point of the capability. If F22s are sitting alert with drop tanks and can't attain super cruise whats the point of having the Raptor sit the alert?

What's the point of a stealth fighter that needs drop tanks to intercept?

What's the unrefueled range of a fighter? What's the range of a Bear? The delta there just might be a hint.

No reason to be defensive. I don't like the craptor.

Mr Subtle...

If F22s are sitting alert with drop tanks and can't attain super cruise whats the point of having the Raptor sit the alert?

Don't be a dumbass. The point is the same as having Eagles or Vipers sit alert. Are there other fighters at Elmendorf you'd recommend sit alert instead of raptors? And do you even understand what super cruise is used for?

And you can always punch the tanks off if you need to. That's why they're called "drop tanks"

Don't be a dumbass. The point is the same as having Eagles or Vipers sit alert. Are there other fighters at Elmendorf you'd recommend sit alert instead of raptors? And do you even understand what super cruise is used for?

And you can always punch the tanks off if you need to. That's why they're called "drop tanks"

Why dont you not be a dumbass. That's the point I'm making. Why waste the fvcking money on raptors to do something that an eagle or viper is quite capable of. Holy shit, thanks for the education, wow "drop tanks" now it all makes sense!

OBTW, my original comment was an off the cuff joke about the drop tanks being there in the first place. Not really intended to be a capabilities pissing match.

It's entirely possible I took Noonin's post out of context, so if I did, my bad. Whatever the case is about the capes of the Libyan C3I, my point is that the frogs flew through some legit threat rings, without SEAD and before most other NATO countries.

And yes Rainman, you flew in Kosovo and dealt with a robust IADs that blows the Libyan "IADs" out of the water. Got it.

Edited by Murph

my point is that the frogs flew through some legit threat rings, without SEAD and before most other NATO countries.

The point Davies made was about the french being allies. Not about the giant brass stones it must have taken to fly through Libya's country-wide super MEZ without so much as even NATO to back them up (gasp!). This is not about the bravery of their pilots. This is about the country and its government.

As for allies, I suggest you educate yourself. From Eldorado Canyon to Southern Watch to just selling counter-US jammers to anyone wih a checkbook, that country has a long history of being no one's ally but their own.

• Upvote 1

This is not about the bravery of their pilots. This is about the country and its government.

Which is why I suggested that I might've taken your quote out of context.

As for allies, I suggest you educate yourself.

I never said shit about them being good allies. See above.

Edited by Murph