C-130 Hercules questions

Champ Kind

Hello all,

I am very interested in getting into the tactical mobility area of flying. I will be commissioning from Norwich University in about 50 days, and I will be going to UPT later on this fall.

Right now, I’m really setting my sights on C-130s and C-17s because it seems like an awesome community to get into, and I really think that the overall mission fits my personality (if that makes any sense)

I have a few questions, so PLEASE feel free to answer any and (preferably) all of them:

1. How hard is it to GET C-130s or C-17s? I have read in the forum that the best way to get Hercs is to bypass T-1s and try to get C-12s or T-44s at track select. Do you agree/disagree? What it comes down to is, do MOST people who WANT to fly Hercs (and C-17s) from the onset of UPT get to?

2. How difficult is it to get into AFSOC for Herc drivers? Is there a high demand from AFSOC? Is there a high desire from Herc drivers to get into AFSOC? And could you even go so far as to describe what one would need to do to get into AFSOC?

3. Even if you don’t get into AFSOC, will slick drivers still get to do the mission where you can fly a few hundred feet off the ground, do the dirt landings, fly on NVGs, etc? In other words, do you HAVE to be in Special Ops to get to do the real down & dirty tactical stuff?

Thanks a LOT (in advance) for your posts. While I am new to the forum, I have searched through the forum, and read some great posts, but I did not see answers to these specific questions. Thanks!

To answer question #1. It depends. Some classes have a lot of guys that want nothing but fighters and when some of them find out that they are going heavies, they start looking around and figure it out from there.

My class had a good split. There were quite a few of us that didn't want fighters and knew what we wanted out of T-1's. When it comes to whether or not guys get the C-17 if they want them.. well, depends on the class. Of the 9 students that were assignable in my class(ie, AD), 6 put C-17s as their first choice. Only two of them came down in the drop. So I would have to say no, most people that want to fly C-17s that wanted to do not get too, at least not with my class.

However, I have heard of some classes where a majority of the students wanted airframes other than the C-17 and a student that didn't want it ended up getting it. So it's all about timing.

You do not have to be in AFSOC to do the "down and dirty" tactical stuff in the herc. Most slicks fly at 300' AGL on NVG's and all the cool stuff you are talking about. The big difference between AFSOC and slicks, slicks do the formation thing, where AFSOC is mainly single ship.

Guest AirGuardian

Don't forget about the Special Ops Low Level (SOLL II) unit out there (McGuire AFB). Was modified 141s and converting into 17s now. Special mission requirements and flying parameters for some very interesting flying - gathering from a few of my flight buds who were former 141 SOLL II guys and current 17 SOLL II qualified.

Thanks for the awesome replies, guys! I just found this forum this week, but just by reading through the posts and asking questions and getting replies, I have already learned so much. I know a lot of this stuff can be unpredictable, but it sure doesn't hurt to get all of your ducks in a row before you get into it.

Thanks again, and anyone else reading this that has anything else to contribute, please feel free. I'm checking this site at least once or twice a day now.

Guess it just depends on timing. In my class, getting hercs or C-17s was a little more difficult. As far as type of flying, the C-17 does both the strat type airlift as well as the low levels. It's all fun whether its 300ft/300knots or flying 11 hours from Texas to Germany (without stopping for gas or aerial refueling).

Guest AirGuardian

Agree with C17Driver, what are the normal drops for C-130s, especially C-17s these days?

Our class sent 5 down to Corpus for Hercs as a follow-on and only one was in our drop at CBM.

We only had one C-17, one C-5, and one KC-10 as well. Everyone but the KC-10 guy put in for C-17s first. Are they dropping 3 or 4 C-17s per class now? - that would indicate a much easier curve. Our top 2 guys who were attempting to be lured by IP's to the T-38 track, stuck to their guns and got their top choices - C-17 and KC-10! Made the others dreaming of fighters very happy not to have them as contenders.

[ 13 March 2004, 16:30: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

In the last drop on the Tone side One in 4 was a 17. That is a confirmed # based on the number of total aircraft to assignable dudes.... something like 46 assignable guys and they had 14 C17's. The days of it being a 'prestigious' thing (getting a 17 out of UPT) are numbered Im afraid. Glad I got mine when it was still a good thing and I could act like a badass for getting one. Or maybe that was jackass... hmm...

Guest AirGuardian

I'm in the same boat. At least we can tote around as being the only Guard/Reserve unit with dedicated Reserve asset C-17s. Meaning, Guard owned and driven with our own MX packages and support! Those days will end as well as March, Hawaii and other units get them. I personally only count jets on the ramp as proof of purchase, but even that can change in a whim like the poor B-1 guys at Warner Robins in JSTARs now. By the way, the AF is looking to bring back 28 or so B-1s into the system due to their outstanding performance these past couple of contingencies. What a damn shame for the ones most recently pulled from the Guard...

Guest whairdhugo?

AG,

I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate on that Bone comment would ya??? In what part of the system might they be bringing 'em back?

How much longer you going to be up at AETC?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest exc130drvr

As a former 130 guy,I would say the the airplane is an awesome aircraft.....300 modified through the rockies, nothing beats that.....great airplane, I recently switched to the C-17, and I would have to say, so far, this aircraft seems like its a great aircraft.....of course I haven't taken it into the rockies yet, but I think either direction you won't be disappointed....Good Luck with your future flying career.......

I can tell you that I got to go to Corpus because I kept telling my IPs in Primary that I wanted to go to Corpus. When the drop came down, I was the only one that had put that as my first choice, so it was mine. If you go Tones, it's one big crap shoot. I didn't want to chance -135s to McConnell or Grand Forks. Hercs are awesome, and are as close to the fighter side as you'll get in the Heavy world (at least until they feel that the C-17 is as expendable as the Herc).

Rice-

There are two, types of C-130's in this world, ok three, no wait four...

Anyway, slick C-130's are the most common birds you'll see. There primary mission, simply put, is to haul trash and *** all over the world, anywhere, any time, be it via low level to an assault landing, or just crusing at altitude with vectors to the ILS. So that's a slick.

There are also Gunships, Electronic Warfare, Rescue & Special Ops birds, SKI birds that land in the snow, the list just goes on and on.

I hope that makes sense.

GW

Originally posted by Shep:

I can tell you that I got to go to Corpus because I kept telling my IPs in Primary that I wanted to go to Corpus.

Is it considered to be a bit presumptuous to already be telling your IPs in Primary what you want to do afterwards? I mean, I try not to base my actions on the premise of what people may or may not think about me, but I don't think I'd want my IP walking away saying to himself "Who the hell does THIS guy think he is, he hasn't even finished primary yet and he's telling me what he wants to do already...."

Maybe that's not how it is at all.... Any words on that? Thanks!

Here's your answer: Your IPs can pretty much figure out early on if you're a fighter or heavy guy, and you'll figure it out, too. In my case, I knew that the fighter community wasn't my thing, and I wanted to fly Hercs. The only way to ensure that was to go through Corpus, so if you make sure that they know that you want Hercs and Corpus, they can make it happen for you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I got it because nobody else had kept up about Corpus like I did, so when the one slot came down, it went to me.

BTW- When you're finished with Primary, you're either going to Corpus or not, so a decision has to be made.

• 9 months later...

Not trying to be a "hater" or anything, but it might be best to keep from actually posting the URL to such sites... Pass it by word of mouth if you want, but posting it only invites EVERYONE - typically this includes the WRONG people.

FYI, I recently pulled some "real" C-130 gouge from my site -- it was merely detailed maintenance-level diagrams of C-130 systems with descriptions and in depth knowledge -- the diagrams were so good, I had maintenance troops emailing me for this gouge. Well, for whatever reason, this sparked a Pentagon-level AFOSI investigation that forced me to pull the files off my website -- and probably intimidated several people into not sending me future gouge! Let me clarify: There was NOTHING improper about what we posted here at baseops.net but the OSI guys thought that the info "shouldn't be available on the web" - even though it was public knowledge and unclassified, etc.

Pissing contest and we lost. (as usual)

Anyways, what I am saying is watch out... big brother is out there...

Guest flyindw

I guess it is true that we don't really need that good "gouge" to help us better ourselves as pilots and work at learning the plane from nose to tail. Of course we are just trying to take the shortcut through this stuff, I mean the -1 is written so well with such detailed pictures who would ever need anything simplified. Sorry just me being a smart@$$. Just getting tired of hearing all this crap about gouge. Especially with the new syllabus as the Rock where they are sending brand news guys to the left seat. We are going through AC school basically as the same time as copilot school and are more accountable for the systems knowledge and EPs. Oh well, just roll with the punches and play the game!

Guest KoolKat

I looked at the 1st file...

I would echo Baseops.net's words of caution.

Actual tests with the answered circled is not the best idea for a website post, let's just (if its necessary at all) to leave this for the "word of mouth."

Now, if you have anything to help me practice my radio calls, so I stop sounding like a goon...I'm listening. ;)