C-130 Hercules questions

Champ Kind

BTW

If you need to buy and IFR simulator to help you with the radios, you have no business in an airplane!

Seriously, just speak in plain language and tell the dude "Who you are, where you are, what you want". And for God's sake be brief. Other wise my tone button is gonna getcha.

HD

• 3 months later...
Guest bustopoo

I just graduated from UPT class 05-08 and got assigned 130s to Little Rock. I have two questions:

Which model of hercs are at little rock?

My report NLT date is 30 May 05. When do you think I will actually start class?

Thanks!

Paul

Three things for ya,

1) Congratulations! Welcome to the 130 world, and remember to tell all your fiends that it's better to screw your way around the world than to suck and blow. You will find answers to any and all questions you have about LRF and the Herk here; that search button rocks.

2) "Right now" the school house is flying E's (except for J school obviously). One of the home station AMC units (the 62nd) is flying the E. The second AMC unit (the 50th) is flying the H models (H3's if I'm not mistaken, anyone?). I highlighted "right now" because the E model world is in flux right now, see previous posts here for the rest of the story.

3) I started class the day after I arrived on base (god did that suck), give the OSS orderly room there a call they should have an answer for you. The number should be on the website somewhere.

GW

[ 30. April 2005, 18:57: Message edited by: GW ]

The 62nd and 53rd both fly Es. They are old and junky. Rumors on the future of the other old, junky E models, and how they affect the rest of the 130 community, were discussed here:

Thread #1

Thread #2

You'll learn to fly the E model at the school house, and then when you start up in your AD squadron they'll give you differences classes and such before you start flying the H3.

Welcome to the club.

Right, The Five-Oh has H3's and as I was leaving the squadron in Feb, they were starting to share their aircraft with the 61st. I haven't heard whether green is getting any of their own tails (or borrowing) from other ANG/USAFR units or not.

the latest plan I've heard was that LRF was suppose to be all H3s (the operational squads: 50/61, not the skool house), Dyess was suppose to be all H1s (although they are steeling guard E models to replace their restricted tails) and Pope all Es till something else is worked out, ie: the J model.

Damn it! I confuse those two squadrons all the time, I always forget which one is the training sqdn and which one the airlift sqdn is.

Thanks Mombo.

Guest Remy1492

Yeah man you will LOVE the herk and especially LR. I hear the 50th is the bomb, lotsa buddies in it.

As for E models, yeah, I flew some 1962-63 models when I was there for upgrade a few months ago.

At Dyess we have 1974 H1s but now from cracks we are getting old E model guard hand-me-downs.

I think in your time at little rock you will see a lot of changes and blurry eyes from an uncertain Herk future as far as physical planes are concerned.

get to the rock, party your butt off but study OPS limits and the 2C-130v3 cold, you will be a golden copilot!

You will probably start class 1-2 days after reporting. but it is your permantent PCS so I would call the schoolhouse, # is on rocks webpage. They are friendly and a great bunch of old crusty 130 guys there.

You will be treated like an adult for once.

Remy forgot to mention that he sucks at HALO.

Freudian-

Dyess IS an H1 unit with the exception of three H's (aka Super Es). We've been borrowing some Willow Grove Es because our good tails aren't at home.

Like every other squad, rumors pass around The latest is the we can expect some H2s on a less temporary basis.

Is it true? Who cares, I'm tired of the drama associated with it. Just give me something that the wings will stay on.

HD

Guest Remy1492

Yeah, we hook up Xboxes on a hub in the rooms here in OIF and I get my butt kicked by all the 19yr old dorks and new copilots. pshya, whatever.

With the new BRAC there may be even more res/guard hercs sent to the Rock, afterall, the Rock will be the LAST 130 base to close I think, so its plausible that E models will be higher in numbers as the years come.

For now, just hope for cool autumn days in the E models

At least they don't have wing cracks.

I agree with Remy on the E models.

They don't have wing cracks and they don't suck at HALO.

I never heard anything about the Elemndorf birds. Like I said, until they're sitting on the ramp, it's all rumor.

HD

• 2 months later...

Highly doubtful. If AFPC works a special/good deal for 1 person, it will open the flood gates to everyone on God's green earth wanting to switch their assignment. I would at least ask, but don't be surprised when the answer is NO.

Guest waxgoblin

i kinda get the feeling that if this was happening, there would be a black market of people selling their slots to people who want to trade.

Guest Jetjock19

Well, I don't know how they do it on the officer side, but I am enlisted and traded my first assignment. I was supposed to go to Kirtland, and traded for Little Rock. Don't ask me why I did it, but I didn't like NM. And that was no problem. And I still did it while I was in Tech school. So, there is a little hope if you were looking for it.