AF Religion Guidelines

M2

• 11 months later...

Where does this headline come from? It doesn't jive with the linked article. The article says Mikey asked to have the "blessed day" verbage removed, and it was. Later, the AF reviewed its AFI (not the Constitution) and decided it was okay to say "blessed day". And the arguement appeared to be over Separation of Church and State, not Freedom of Speech.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Totally jives. HU&W seems to be familiar with ol Mikey's bs.

"Have a blessed day" isn't outright religious, it's just Southern. It's covered by free speech more than it is prohihited by sep of church and state. You'd have to ban govt employees saying "bless you" before you could ban that.

The real issue is this: Mikey needs some in counseling from being bullied. He thinks he got beat up at the Academy because he is Jewish, but it's actually because of the same reason people hate him now; he's a prick. And now he wants to pay the bullying forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

air force blessed day

"This an example where it's fine to say, 'Welcome to Team Robins,' but, as I said before, what are you going to do if the gate guards say: 'Welcome to Team Robins, hail Satan!'"

lol @ "hail satan." Exaggerate much?

... "this is a vicious savaging of the constitutional protections that are afforded by the First Amendment along with Department of Defense regulations. The Air Force has not heard the last of this."

What is this guy's actual problem?

What I love about Satanists is they would never say "Hail Satan" so publicly and wildly (at least LaVey-style Satanism). They know it would get immediate, negative reactions that would work against their personal and general goals. They are generally brutally pragmatic and strive to master their individual "super-ego" or "executive functions." I'm not advocating Satanism or saying I like the individual believers (teachings usually re-inforce selfishness and greed), but that I respect their pragmatism.

The dude who's arguing this point grossly misunderstands how Satanists actually live.

Edited by deaddebate

What I love about Satanists is they would never say "Hail Satan" so publicly and wildly (at least LaVey-style Satanism). They know it would get immediate, negative reactions that would work against their personal and general goals. They are generally brutally pragmatic and strive to master their individual "super-ego" or "executive functions." I'm not advocating Satanism or saying I like the individual believers (teachings usually re-inforce selfishness and greed), but that I respect their pragmatism.

The dude who's arguing this point grossly misunderstands how Satanists actually live.

Most "Satanists" in the media are really just atheists/agnostics/etc using the idea of Satan to lampoon Christians in the same way drawings of Mohammed have been used to get a rise out Muslims.

I'm not a religious person, but "Have a blessed day" doesn't bother me; nor would "May Allah bless you" or "Hail Satan" for that matter. That last one would make me laugh though.

• 1 month later...

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study

Only 71% of Americans in 2014 identified as Christian, down from 78% Christian in 2007. Massachussetts is the least Christian at 58% and Louisiana is the most Christian at 84%. For the 23% of the "Unaffiliated" American population (responded as "Nothing in particular," "Atheist," or "Agnostic"), Massachussetts and Washington are tied at the top with 32% while Alabama is the lowest at 12%.

PR_15.05.12_RLS-00.png

Lots of correlations to pull from those statistics, which probably mean nothing. Just curious, what's the obesity level in MA vs LA? How about the number of African Americans?

If you look that up, and then take those statistics literally, you'll find that minorities are fat, uneducated, and religious...and I think a few folks on here would have very strong opinions against that.

There's nothing wrong in "clinging" to religion. You either believe something, or you don't. It worked out pretty well for the founding fathers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lots of correlations to pull from those statistics, which probably mean nothing. Just curious, what's the obesity level in MA vs LA? How about the number of African Americans?

If you look that up, and then take those statistics literally, you'll find that minorities are fat, uneducated, and religious...and I think a few folks on here would have very strong opinions against that.

There's nothing wrong in "clinging" to religion. You either believe something, or you don't. It worked out pretty well for the founding fathers.

You beat me to it . . . in my neck of the woods, we like to say, "correlation does not equal causation."

- I'm sure oil has nothing to do with Norway's per capita success, Swiss success has nothing to do with being surrounded by a whole bunch of other countries (plus the U.S.) who by default provide for much of their country's defense (which frees resources for more economically beneficial outcomes), . . . I could go on

- He also conflates "clinging to religion" with subscribing to Christianity; last I knew, Pakistan, Chad, Afghanistan, etc. weren't majority Christian countries, yet he somehow ties their lack of success to the percentage of those in economically unsuccessful southern American states that have relatively large populations of people who self-identify as Christian . . . but he ignores other structural and historical problems with those states

HLF does an impressive job of attacking straw men. I suggest not feeding this troll.

TT

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

- He also conflates "clinging to religion" with subscribing to Christianity; last I knew, Pakistan, Chad, Afghanistan, etc. weren't majority Christian countries, yet he somehow ties their lack of success to the percentage of those in economically unsuccessful southern American states that have relatively large populations of people who self-identify as Christian . . . but he ignores other structural and historical problems with those states

HLF does an impressive job of attacking straw men. I suggest not feeding this troll.

TT

He specifically mentioned ISIS, and I'm pretty sure they don't subscribe to Christianity.

Edit: re: the correlation vs causation...Occam's Razor

Edited by day man

If people want to try to draw parallels between race and obesity and religion they're free to do that. My contention is that there's a direct correlation between ignorance and religion, and that despite the assertion that religion is a force for good (socially, ethically, morally, etc.) the data shows a whole heck of a lot of poverty, health issues, misery and crime. Conversely, you see much lower levels of each of those ills where the clutch of religion has eased, both in the US and across the world.

Yeah...Utah just sucks for business and jobs these days. Definitely not a healthy state either. Oh and their crime?--through the roof!

• Upvote 2

Yeah...Utah just sucks for business and jobs these days. Definitely not a healthy state either. Oh and their crime?--through the roof

Refuting 'anecdotal' evidence with your own anecdotes while TnkrToad claims Ho Lee Fuk is attacking straw men by simultaneously doing the same. Well done gentlemen, well done.

Correlation doesn't necessarily indicate causation...true. But pointing that fact out doesn't somehow invalidate the entire concept of correlation in every case.

Obesity and poverty and crime (etc.) aside, there is one undeniable correlation related to religion. It thrives in ignorance and struggles in highly educated (read that as access to information) populations. Most religions seek to keep their flock away from objective information for a reason, but that's a losing battle in today's world (at least in developed nations).

The trend in this poll will only strengthen, particularly after a few stuck-in-the-mud generations die off and leave behind descendants that are less and less indoctrinated. The 70% are on the wrong side of history. I'm just sad I won't live to see a world where the statistics are flip-flopped.

People falling on hard times lean more on religion. Religion doesn't cause crime or poverty, but people affected by those things will be more likely to seek religion as comfort. On the contrary, well-off people are less likely to seek that comfort. Churches aren't filled with rich men giving thanks, they are filled with poor men asking for help. This is human nature.

• Upvote 1

People falling on hard times lean more on religion. Religion doesn't cause crime or poverty, but people affected by those things will be more likely to seek religion as comfort. On the contrary, well-off people are less likely to seek that comfort. Churches aren't filled with rich men giving thanks, they are filled with poor men asking for help. This is human nature.

There might be a reason they're poor...a fool and his money....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Osteen#Personal_life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creflo_Dollar#Finances

Some on this forum seem messianic in their anti-religiousity. Ironic.

He specifically mentioned ISIS, and I'm pretty sure they don't subscribe to Christianity.

I was referring to his post before the one where he talked about ISIS. The one where he lists stats about Mass, Alabama, Louisiana & Mississippi in the same post as Pakistan, Iraq & Syria. Pretty clear conflation.

• Upvote 1

Some on this forum seem messianic in their anti-religiousity. Ironic.

Which is nothing like the religion-inspired legislature that permeates our country...ironic indeed.

I was referring to his post before the one where he talked about ISIS. The one where he lists stats about Mass, Alabama, Louisiana & Mississippi in the same post as Pakistan, Iraq & Syria. Pretty clear conflation.

Rog. :beer:

Obesity and poverty and crime (etc.) aside, there is one undeniable correlation related to religion. It thrives in ignorance and struggles in highly educated (read that as access to information) populations.

Turns out that's exactly what Jesus predicted...funny how that works.

Matthew 11:25-26 - At that time Jesus said, I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight.

• Upvote 2