UPT Female hair regs

latidah

Just a quick question for any women currently in training at UPT - I'm heading off to Columbus in the near future to start training, and read in the student guide that:

In the aircraft, hair must be loose and unbound, must comply with the same length restrictions with the helmet on, and should not be so bulky that the helmet will not fit properly.
Does this mean that only short hair is allowed? I can't see any other way for hair to be "unbound" and still meet requirements. I'd love to know some real-life answers, as if I'm going to be cutting my hair, it might as well be before OTS : ) Thanks!

Guest C-21 Pilot

Just a note...

The ten or so hens I saw at UPT all had a "butch" style or a conservative haircut. As long as your hair doesn't reach your ass. Also, buns inside a helmet won't cut it. Most ladies I've seen on the road and such have either a shoulder length cut, or shorter.

I'm not suggesting GI Jane, but not Crystal Gayle.

Maybe Mary G can give a more appropriate answer.

There was a girl in the class in front of us that had hair below her waist. Obviously very straight hair, but she was able to wrap it up into some turban-like contrivance and made it work.

You also can't use any sort of pins to bound your hair up.

Every female I've seen in UPT (and in fighters) had hair that stopped at about mid-neck. A couple of them had chopped it from a lengthier state (one had it well past her shoulders). They weren't fond of it, but they ended up not minding too much. Realize this is an issue with the helmet; the girl who had it past her shoulders ended up going C-130s and now has it long again.

Well, I should have more details soon since I head to Del Rio tomorrow BUT I can tell you what I know right now. I asked around a lot here at my Guard unit and the two females who are currently here both said to go ahead and chop it because it's easier. I had really long hair that I cut (to get used to it before I head out) - and I love it. Of course, that's just me. I didn't do a butch cut - but it's in regs and should be short enough for the helmet - right around chin length right now.

On the other hand, I asked one of our guys who just got here (formerly a UPT IP) and he said that most of the guy IPs don't know the regs on females hair and don't care that much.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that you want something easy to deal with. And, like C-21 Pilot mentioned, a bun won't cut it - it'll just end up being a hot spot in the helmet.

Good luck!

When I hit the flight line I had cut my hair just to make it easier. There is one of my flightmates who tried to wear the helmet with her hair long and she said it was too uncomfortable to put it up everday so she cut it as well.