RC-135 (Rivet Joint) Q&A

Guest SoCalEWO

Point taken. Ages ago.

All I'm after is what I'd already have if my editor had sent me to do the press day for the Baseline 8 at Andrews, or had I been at one of the air shows where an RC-135 was 'open to all comers' - or even if the Fox News people had edited their piece differently.

And I'd be as happy with an accurate summation of what it used to be like under Baseline 7 as what it is now, with Baseline 8.

And I'm not concerned with delving into what the different COMINT positions do - the existing knowledge of who does what is enough.

We are not trying to withhold information from you, but we're not going to just freely share it here either. It is true that on occasion the Air Force has allowed reporters on the jet. That is a decision that the Air Force has made and it was done under the supervision of appropriate individuals. And just because the Air Force has allowed reporters on the jet on occasion in the past, does not mean that we are going to give you everything that you missed. It is unfortunate that your editor failed to send you, but we're not just going to hand over the specs or confirm what you've seen or know about the jet. That is great that you have the layout of the EP-3, but that doesn't really make a difference for us. You may think it is not a big deal. Due to the nature of the mission, I'm a little sensitive about my jet, as I am sure others are as well. I'm sure you will get another chance and hopefully you can push for your editor to send you. We are not trying to burn you, just look out for ourselves. Busdriver hit the nail on the head.

Guest hawg030

I have done lots of searching, and I keep hearing that there are TDY's to Mildenhall/Kadena for RC135's. But are there PCS, as in if I grab an ewo spot on the 135 can I expect to live in england or kadena for a few years at some point in my career? Or is it more of a TDY thing for a short time. And yes, there is alot of misinformation out there, but its great to have all the experience and knowledge yall bring to this board (most of yall that is) :salut:

I dont show up to Randolph until Oct 08, but every Nav out there tells me to learn about and consider the 135 mission, even though they didnt....

I have done lots of searching, and I keep hearing that there are TDY's to Mildenhall/Kadena for RC135's. But are there PCS, as in if I grab an ewo spot on the 135 can I expect to live in england or kadena for a few years at some point in my career? Or is it more of a TDY thing for a short time. And yes, there is alot of misinformation out there, but its great to have all the experience and knowledge yall bring to this board (most of yall that is) :salut:

I dont show up to Randolph until Oct 08, but every Nav out there tells me to learn about and consider the 135 mission, even though they didnt....

It is possible to PCS to Mildenhall or Kadena. Slots are limited, but there are some. For an RC-135 EWO, expect to spend an initial 5 to 7 years at Offutt before you PCS. Then there is a very good chance you'll be back again.

When you get to Randolph, there will be plenty of instructors from all platforms. Ask them questions, they can help you get a better idea of the mission, lifestyle, deployments, etc.

Edited by PET-Shot

• 3 weeks later...

I learned a hard lesson as a new nav on my first deployment to Saudi. I was on the non-stop flight and I was racked out somewhere aft of the overwing hatch. Somewhere over France I have to take a leak. Well, I get out of my sleeping bag and walked to the back of the plane to the aft latrine. I didn't bother to put my boots on.

Well, I stepped through the door and right into a puddle of whatever leaks out of whatever is back there. It was roughly 32.1 degrees. That woke me up.

Well, since I was new, nobody told me (and I was too stupid) to pack a divert bag that would have such handy stuff as extra socks. So, I spent the next 7 hours sockless and cold, and the next 5 hours after that sockless and hot inprocessing in my not-yet broken in old-school non-Belleville desert boots.

So kids, count the mistakes and learn from them. Boots to the latrine, divert bag, extra socks (just like Lt Dan says) and break in your boots before you deploy.

Um, Scooter, they're called "cruise slippers" aka flip-flops.

Yeah I've made that mistake once before too, went downstairs from the bunk to drain the lizard forgetting we had a plane full of Army grunts, who seem to make it a sport on who can get the most piss all over the walls and floor and not in the toilet, in addition to let's-see-how-quick-we-can-fill-the-pisser-up :flipoff: Only had to learn that lesson once.

Does make me wish the C-17 had separate lavs for crew and pax (even if just torpedoes in the upstairs or something, if there was a way to make it not stink like piss anyway).

Nope, and they seem to flow fairly slow these days.... Not to mention the fact that most of them are missing their lid either.

Uhhh...what plane are you flying on? I haven't seen a torpedo tube since '04 maybe early '05. Are you talking about the bowls up front that are tubed to the platic jerry cans? That's a fairly recent "upgrade".

Funny story...this alst deployment on our first mission someone walks back after a 8 hours and goes "hey what the hell, you guys pissing on the floor?". We all laugh until we see the dark stain creeping back in the compartment. Come to find out the pisser exploded and no one noticed. In all fairness it was held together with speed tape and a length of garden hose. Flew that jet without the carpet until they took it home.

Cooter

Happy St Paddy's Fnckers!!!!!!!!! :beer:

• 5 weeks later...
Are the rumors I hear true? Has the 55th truly decided to rid themselves of navigators?? Some saw this coming, but I thought it would take a few more years.

Missing your old career field?

Interesting things are in the works, but only semi-official now. Contact some of the folks in your old squadron.

Are the rumors I hear true? Has the 55th truly decided to rid themselves of navigators?? Some saw this coming, but I thought it would take a few more years.

Holy $hit, JBVFLY...looks like we picked the right time to make a career move. Next thing you know, we would have been working for Cooter...which in itself wouldn't be a bad thing in the fact that Cooter's a good dude, but it goes against everything I held sacred as a navigator. Take away my radar and my window? YGBFSM.

Guest hawg030
Holy $hit, JBVFLY...looks like we picked the right time to make a career move. Next thing you know, we would have been working for Cooter...which in itself wouldn't be a bad thing in the fact that Cooter's a good dude, but it goes against everything I held sacred as a navigator. Take away my radar and my window? YGBFSM.

anyone found an article on this yet? How long tell computers get rid of the EWO!?

Guest Matt Damon
How long tell computers get rid of the EWO!?

Baseline 12, there will only be one ASE, one pilot and a TC. The rest of the plane will be robots. But Baseline 13 is suppose to get rid of the pilot.

Missing your old career field?

Interesting things are in the works, but only semi-official now. Contact some of the folks in your old squadron.

Missing the old career field...No! I do miss the people though. I made all the usual calls and sounds like the same old game. It is good to know though that the people leading this unit still think the airplane is there for pilots, and for pilots to "drop bombs".

How about those in-flight movies? IIO's for all my friends!

• 4 months later...

UTFSTing here... Saw some good stuff on Omaha. Anyone have any good info on that other real big jet at offutt and the city?

Its about the coolest job out there for a 33S like myself (only flying one...) and I may have an offer. The AF side of me is telling me I'm crazy if I don't take it, the dude side of me is saying "Omaha"??? I know any place is what you make of it but my wife and I have already made the best of a not exactly the best place for the last 4 yrs. Til this came up we were expecting a more metro-area or overseas trip...

Looking for info on:

1) TDY tempo - I know they're gone like crazy... I'm all for TDYs but I think after all my time in combat comm the wife is expecting me home a little more, not less, at our next assignment. Has anyone done time with them?

2) Hip Hop - The only thing I know besides the AF is how to DJ (that's right, I'm a turntable master). Anyone know if there's a good scene out there? My wife's a hip hop nut too so this affects both of us.

3) Culture - Not knocking the midwest but my wife and I are city types and middle GA the last 4 yrs hasn't been exactly the metropolitan life.

Thanks for any insight. I think I know what my answer is but I need some serious help selling it to the wifey.

zb

UTFSTing here... Saw some good stuff on Omaha. Anyone have any good info on that other real big jet at offutt and the city?

Its about the coolest job out there for a 33S like myself (only flying one...) and I may have an offer. The AF side of me is telling me I'm crazy if I don't take it, the dude side of me is saying "Omaha"??? I know any place is what you make of it but my wife and I have already made the best of a not exactly the best place for the last 4 yrs. Til this came up we were expecting a more metro-area or overseas trip...

Looking for info on:

1) TDY tempo - I know they're gone like crazy... I'm all for TDYs but I think after all my time in combat comm the wife is expecting me home a little more, not less, at our next assignment. Has anyone done time with them?

2) Hip Hop - The only thing I know besides the AF is how to DJ (that's right, I'm a turntable master). Anyone know if there's a good scene out there? My wife's a hip hop nut too so this affects both of us.

3) Culture - Not knocking the midwest but my wife and I are city types and middle GA the last 4 yrs hasn't been exactly the metropolitan life.

Thanks for any insight. I think I know what my answer is but I need some serious help selling it to the wifey.

zb

I went to college in Lincoln and my mom's side of the family is from Omaha. Robins was also my first assignment.

Omaha >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anywhere in middle Georgia

You'll be fine, just don't go to North Omaha at night.

I went to college in Lincoln and my mom's side of the family is from Omaha. Robins was also my first assignment.

Omaha >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anywhere in middle Georgia

You'll be fine, just don't go to North Omaha at night.

North O is where the hip-hop scene is. Unless, of course, you're into the suburban white boy hip hop scene, in which case you'll want to live out in Millard.

forum_53df766f_icy_Hot_Stuntaz.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest scooney

There hasn't been any new talk on here for a while so i hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Im transferring to be an ASE on the RJ's and I was wondering if anyone had more insight as to the back of the plane, and how they support in flight.

Also I have been waiting on my medical waiver to get back. They sail all was fine on the local end but should it take longer then 6 weeks?

Im transferring to be an ASE on the RJ's and I was wondering if anyone had more insight as to the back of the plane, and how they support in flight.

Really?

Google it for unclass info.

ASE = Airborne Systems Engineer. You will be engineering the systems while airborne. You'll learn more when you report to the FTU.

There hasn't been any new talk on here for a while so i hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Also I have been waiting on my medical waiver to get back. They sail all was fine on the local end but should it take longer then 6 weeks?

Depending on what ASE position you get and train for will detemine what systems you'll work with. Although over time the good ASE's I've flown with have known their job and parts of the others if they were't already qualified in another seat. ASE's are shit hot dudes (girls too) and I've seen the solder, tape, glue whatever it takes to get those jets and their systems up and running. Good luck at the FTU there's some shit hot instructors up there that I have flown with for a lot of years.

Cooter

Depending on what ASE position you get and train for will detemine what systems you'll work with. Although over time the good ASE's I've flown with have known their job and parts of the others if they were't already qualified in another seat. ASE's are shit hot dudes (girls too) and I've seen the solder, tape, glue whatever it takes to get those jets and their systems up and running. Good luck at the FTU there's some shit hot instructors up there that I have flown with for a lot of years.

Cooter

Back to work Exec Monkey

Edited by old crow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scooney

Cooter

Thanks for your help. When you start at the FTU after you have completed your other training do they consider you PCS'd or do you still get per diem just like you would at any other school.

Thanks for your help. When you start at the FTU after you have completed your other training do they consider you PCS'd or do you still get per diem just like you would at any other school.

Once you get to Offutt to start FTU, you are considered PCS'd to Offutt, assigned to the 338th CTS.

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting close to assignment time, and I can't really find much info on what RC-135 life would be like for a young co. There's lots of good info here about the missions, but what do things look like right now as far as family life and time home v. time away? All help is appreciated.

Gracias