"Bioenvironmental Engineer" for AF

Guest F Johnny Klyde

Guest boson69

Hi folks -

So, this might sound a bit strange, but my recruiter *really* wants me to apply into the Bioenvironmental Engineering (BEE) program in the AF in addition to OTS (for pilot).

I have a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and he said my background doesn't matter - bioenvironmental vs electrical.

I've search here and on Google, but can't seem to find anything on the BEE program except that you get commissioned as a Captain and have 4 weeks of initial training instead of 12 in the OTS.

The big question that I cannot find the answer to is - if I sign up for BEE, will I then be able to apply for UPT once I'm already in the AF? Or said another way, does going into BEE remove the potentail for me to become a pilot (ever)? I don't know if anyone here has done that or maybe know someone who has, but any kind of feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rule #1- don't trust your recruiter.

If all you want to do is be a pilot; don't apply for any other career field. If you can be happy being a bioenvironmental engineer or a pilot, apply for both (chances are you'll be a bioenvironmental engineer).

Guest boson69
haha - if I could only have a dime every time I heard that...

If all you want to do is be a pilot; don't apply for any other career field. If you can be happy being a bioenvironmental engineer or a pilot, apply for both (chances are you'll be a bioenvironmental engineer).
So you've just confirmed my worries - he said, "Apply for both," and I said, "Won't they just select me to be a BEE," and he obviously disagreeed. And I told him that I have no interest in biology, chemistry, or the environment for that matter, but I think the AF just needs more BEEs so he's coercing me into it...

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by slacker130:

2!

Originally posted by F Johnny Klyde:

I've search here and on Google, but can't seem to find anything on the BEE program except that you get commissioned as a Captain and have 4 weeks of initial training instead of 12 in the OTS.

You mention a HUGE point - that these BEE officers go to COT (Commissioned Officer Training) instead of OTS. These officers are NOT LINE OFFICERS...and are therefore not entitled to a lot of things, which I imagine would include UPT and UNT. Perhaps some of our flight docs can speak up on this. I tried google but ran out of patience trying to find a decent description of the limits of Medical Service Officers. AFI 36-2105, Officer Classification, is the AFI that proves the recruiter was right about the trianing length for BEE guys.

Here's some more info :

Commissioned Officer Training

COT is a 4-week course for professionals who have received a direct commission. Typically, these officers have advanced degrees, such as M.Div., M.D. or J.D. in the case of doctors and lawyers, respectively. They often enter at an advanced rank, such as 1st Lt. (02) and sometimes as Captain (O-3) in compensation for their high level of education, and in some cases, experience. Officers can be commissioned at the rank of Colonel (O-6) if they possess the level of experience necessary.

Chaplains, lawyers, and medical personnel go through COT.

Commissioned Officer Training (COT)is responsible for developing

medical, legal, and chaplain personnel into professional officers by instilling character, knowledge, and motivation essential to serve in the United States Air Force. The 23d Training Squadron (23 TRS) provides a 23-training day Commissioned Officer Training course to instill leadership and officership skills in newly commissioned medical officers, judge advocates, and chaplains. The 23 TRS also conducts a 13-training day Reserve Commissioned Officer Training (RCOT) program for hard-to-recruit medical officers in the Air Force

Guest boson69
Originally posted by toastychicken:

The astro engineers as well as the development engineers are regular line officers.

What's a development engineer? Is that in the AF R&D center?