A-10 (Warthog) Q&A

Guest sickels101

Guest Rainman A-10

It's just an airplane. The "students" are already pilots. Go to some classes, sit in the sim for a while and then fly the jet.

The A-10, like any other small USAF airplane, is easy to fly around. No big deal. Really.

Yes, the first ride is "docile." Fly the jet, do some pattern work and advanced handling exercises and come home. It is an airplane ride.

They save the night low altitude shitty wx eight trips to the tanker 9G CSAR sortie for the second sortie.

If you think about it for a second it is really no big deal, it's just an A-10. Like a high SA Tweet FAIP told me on day one of FWQ..."An A-10 is just a TWEET on steriods."

I guessing they could not put a new person solo in a KC-135 or C-130 or C-17 on his/her first sortie even if they could reach all the controls. It's just too different from what they did in pilot training (maybe less so now that we have the T-1, but I doubt it). It is not a big leap from the T-38 to any fighter aircraft in terms of taking off, flying around and landing. Physically flying any fighter is easy, they are designed to be flown by one person. It makes sense...it needs to be easy to fly the jet so you can spend your SA on other things. Fighters are not designed for taking an airplane ride. The jet is really a weapon that you wear around the sky. The ability to wear the weapon around the sky takes a couple sorties for a person to master. Some, unfortunately, never really do. The people who don't ever get it normally fail because they either chose to fly fighters because they wanted to go for fun airplane rides and they get surprised by what is really expected of them or they can "fly" just fine right up to the point where they have to remove 90% of the focus on the mechanics of flying the jet.

Anyone that tells you "flying" a modern day fighter is hard is either a crappy pilot or a liar. Wearing the weapon around the sky is the part requiring some skill.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DILLA

I was taking a class this week, taught by one of the original A-10 test pilots back in the 70s. As we were talking about his days on the A-10 program, it got me thinking...what is going to happen to the A-10? The F-22 will eventually replace the F-15 as the F-35 will eventually replace the -16. Both the -15 and -16 are fine jets that some may argue still have a lot of life left in them. No doubt that the A-10 is also one hell of a jet and there's nothing else like it...but, is there a new CAS aircraft design coming down the pipeline in the future, or is the A-10 going to be overhauled....newer engines, glass cockpit, etc.

but, is there a new CAS aircraft design coming down the pipeline in the future, or is the A-10 going to be overhauled....newer engines, glass cockpit, etc.

Are the hogs still getting new engines?

Big Blue wants to use the F-35 to replace the A-10 in 2025. That's what I heard last. That'll go over about as well as a pregnant pole vaulter.

Guest DILLA

Big Blue wants to use the F-35 to replace the A-10 in 2025. That's what I heard last. That'll go over about as well as a pregnant pole vaulter.

I'm not sure if there is an engine upgrade in the A-10's future, but the TF-34s could probably be replaced by a newer militarized derivative of the CF-34...which is used on many RJ's flying around...something similar to the RERP program on C-5.

Back when I worked at Edwards, I was told that the F-16 would be taking up the CAS role. I always thought you needed a relatively slower jet to effectively fill that role.

Edited by DILLA

• 2 weeks later...

A-10 is on the books until 2028. Don't know if it will really last that long.

F-35 is slated to be the replacement for the A-10.

New engine plan has been around for long time. CF-34's offering slightly increased thrust at sea level, maintaining it to the flight levels is the major bonus. I still don't know what the status is of actually doing it.

That's not a bad article. The guys quoted are doing a great job keeping the ball rolling.

The current cockpit (A-10A) is an abortion with all the "strap on" capability that was added after the fact. A big part of my job is teaching F-16 pilots how to fly and employ the A-10. They are continuously amazed a how crappy the cockpit is. I have to agree.

There is another A-10 modification that the AF Reserves is set to purchase before converting to PE. It is a Smart Multi-Function Display and some new HOTAS to give us a Data Link and better Targeting Pod interoperability. It has been delayed and I'm now ambivalent about it. I can see a scenario where we get the interim upgrade just in time to turn around and upgrade to PE. That is a pain in the ass in the FTU, as each change ripples through all of our training syllabi.

Guest Rainman A-10

There are ANG units buying the SCMFD (or whatever it is called now), too.

AATC is doing what they do best by pushing to get something off the shelf into the hands of the warfighters which puts pressure on Lockheed to get their shit together while putting up roadblocks to the interim solution through official channels. The AATC activities supplied pressure on the USAF and Lockheed to make PE deliver more than originally planned for...little things like including Datalink capability. The process is not perfect (nor official) and there have been some bumps, accusations, counter-accusations and hurt feelings along the road.

Having a Prime Contract is fine for some things however I believe, like Adam Smith, competition is good.

Whatever it takes to get the capabilities in the hands of the warfighters at a realistic price.

• 1 year later...

Revival!

What is the retention rate of A-10 LTs? Are any being Tami-21 or are the A-10 guys fairly safe to staying in the jet for a couple tours vs UAS'?

• 11 months later...
Guest flyingstix101

--Thread revival--

The rumor mill has been running strong concerning future A-10 RTU dates. Latest news is there will not be another RTU class until January 2010 (or who knows when). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Guest usafdream

--Thread revival--

The rumor mill has been running strong concerning future A-10 RTU dates. Latest news is there will not be another RTU class until January 2010 (or who knows when). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

A new A-10C class just started flying with the 357FS (Dragons) this week. I will ask when the next class is scheduled to start flying with the 358FS.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any info about the A-10 remote to Korea? Heard rumors that it may be changing to a 3 year tour. What is the selection process of choosing your ops squadron after finishing RTU? What are the chances of staying at DM after RTU or going to Korea?

Hmm,

I remember hearing the same rumor in the rtu. Four years ago.

There's more current info to be had (try www.usfkforums.com for starters), but as of about a year ago, the 3yr normalized tour was at best a leadership pipe dream, still several years from reality. That's based on in-place and under-construction infrastructure (medical, schools, etc). Hell, dependants weren't allowed routine dental care.

Just take your wife unsponsored like everyone else--really, it's a good time.

Edit: (update) Newest dude in my sq just got back from 1 year at Osan. Two dudes on their way have 1 year unsponsored and 2 years sponsored, respectively. KAIP, however, is alive and well if $300/mo is incentive enough for you.

More data.

More data.

Enjoy Korea, it really is a good time.

Edited by BFM this

• 2 months later...

Question about getting to fly the A-10...

Ever since becoming a pilot select, the hog has become my dream airframe. Sure, I love the sexy fighters like the F-22 and F-16, but what I really want is to be in the thick of the battle, and to feel close to what's going on. The A-10 is pure bad ass. :rock: Anyway, what are my chances of getting into a hog these days if I manage to track T-38s? I know it's near impossible to predict even a year from now, but does anyone have any guesses/gut-feelings/divinations?

Edited by tripilot

Question about getting to fly the A-10...

Ever since becoming a pilot select, the hog has become my dream airframe. Sure, I love the sexy fighters like the F-22 and F-16, but what I really want is to be in the thick of the battle, and to feel close to what's going on. The A-10 is pure bad ass. :rock: Anyway, what are my chances of getting into a hog these days if I manage to track T-38s? I know it's near impossible to predict even a year from now, but does anyone have any guesses/gut-feelings/divinations?

You'll be surprised to find out how many people share your sentiments. Among most of the T-38 folks I've talked to, Hogs and Strike Eagles top the list. Sure, nobody would turn down a Raptor or a Viper, but most people seem to want in on the A/G action and want to avoid an uncertain future. Whether there's truth to any of that doesn't matter because if everyone wants an A-10 and they only drop one to your class, that alone making it an awesome drop, its going to go to the top ranked guy that wanted it. Can't give any better guesses than that.

• 1 month later...
Guest thegrayman

I keep hearing the F-35 will replace the A-10. Let's be honest - WTF are they thinking? There's NOTHING that can "replace" the A-10, except new A-10s. Why the hell don't they just build some new ones? Re-open the production line! I bet they could build C models for a hell of a lot less than the 120 million that an F-35 will probably cost by the time all is said and done. Build 400 of 'em, I say.

I have a psychological disorder in which all I can think about, waking or sleeping, is flying the A-10. And I don't even have an OTS date yet. I don't know what I'll do if I get to UPT and don't even have a chance at it. Head will explode, most likely. At least that will void my contract.

Guest thegrayman

I have a psychological disorder in which all I can think about, waking or sleeping, is flying the A-10. And I don't even have an OTS date yet. I don't know what I'll do if I get to UPT and don't even have a chance at it. Head will explode, most likely. At least that will void my contract.

No doubt there aren't enough cockpits - the dismal UPT drops as of late are evidence enough of that, anyway. There's a whole sub-culture of people aching to fly the HOG because it makes a freaking difference EVERY day. I think we should build more to extend the life of this important program and give a new generation of pilots some REAL CAS experience. The idea the F-35 will replace them after 2028 is preposterous.

The idea the F-35 will replace them after 2028 is preposterous.

The F-35 was not designed as a CAS platform, and it will not truly replace the A-10 in a CAS role. It will merely be a poor substitute.

• 5 years later...

I just dropped A-10s. Could anyone shed some light on the state of the community these days? (F-35 Politics aside) I'm curious about the B-Course timeline, deployment cycles, and location details. I'm married, no kids and we love the outdoors. How are they doing Korean assignments these days? Accompanied/Remote? I Also heard that Spang is no longer A PCS. Thanks in advance.