172 RAGE

Guest I(HEART)PLANES

Seriously no one is going to let you take out a plane and formation fly and you know it.
I've never had any problem with that. Me and a buddy of mine rent planes from our local FBO and fly formation fairly often. However, we do work there, and our boss (a veteran airshow pilot with a ton of formation time) instructed us on how to do it safely, sts. We also had a competition aerobatic pilot work with us quite a bit as well.

So, the moral of the story is that it can be done by young pilots in 172s, I would just recommend that you seek out someone who has experiance in this type of flying to teach you the finer points on how to safely fly formation, that and just don't do anything stupid.

Oh yeah, if you and your other fellow brand new pilots decide to do this, please do it over an unpopulated area. Just in case.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest I(HEART)PLANES

I just want to emphasize that we weren't planning on going up there like bafoons and disrespecting the laws of the sky. There isn't a reg against formation, and we wouldn't be screwing around. But I guess since no one is interested, I am out of luck... :(

And since it hasn't been said yet (I think) I'd just like to point out that it depends on what kind of formation flying you'd be doing. If you're just gonna get a few hundred feet from each other, I'd venture to say that almost ANY private pilot could do that by his/herself the first time they tried, and still find the experience enjoyable. However, if you were planning to do fingertip with 3 feet of wing clearance.........I'd recommend alot of altitude, no doors on the plane, and a parachute.

Originally posted by c17wannabe:

No offense to the T-37 guys, but the Tweet Rage video didn't feature anything "difficult." In fact, I think that was the point. We should be able to mimc the flight pretty closely.

Dude, don't post on things you know nothing about. It may not look difficult, but I'll bet you sure as hell can't do it yet. There's an load more to form than you may think.

HD

Guest PhiPsiViper

i am shocked at all the negative feedback on this net for our project and untrue statements about FAR regs. Which everyone should know you can fly formation, anybody with a PPL should know that. Every one here thinks were gonna do "a negative G push over" or something. When the finished project is done we willl put you doubters to shame. And show that we cant take the 172 to the max and fly better than we ever have before

Back to the "feeding the trolls" comment.

1) So far, I'm afraid to say the trolls have it: I haven't seen anything illegal discussed.

2) To the board vets who are getting worked up: these guys just aren't too bright, or you're being baited.

3) You're being baited. (Or witnessing darwinism in action...)

Guest PhiPsiViper

I have a fever and the only cure is more "172 Rage"

Thanx to all who see the the practical application of this little project. And common sense should dictate that fingertip formations in a 172 are not a good idea. I personally would gett any closer than 30 feet near any other 172. Besides cameras do have a zoom feature and the majority of the film would be on the ground spoofing the characters with some air shots also

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by FsuEagle:

When the finished project is done we willl put you doubters to shame. And show that we cant take the 172 to the max and fly better than we ever have before

hahaha

who are you fsu pilot some gmc thats on the net come on go get ready for field training or something you still have a long way to go to be on here like you know whats up

Guest PhiPsiViper

Since there are so many IP's I wonder if you all can help us out we got 2 172's and a 152 as a chase plane for this weekend. Do any of you IP's have any hints on how to stay close even if it gets bumpy up there cuz we only have one shot at the air scenes and three planes gets expensive. Lucky we got the planes at dusk so we can film the day and noght scenes on the same day. Thanks for the help out there.

Holy shit. Am I getting into the wrong profession? Are there this many douche bags in aviation, specifically the AF?? I thought my fellow comp sci students were dorks, but this blows them away. What a phenomenal waste of time.

[ 09. November 2004, 13:08: Message edited by: chaw ]

Guest futurpilot

Mr. Lopez, if you're going out let me know. ill ride along if you do it.

and yes MR. Bernardo.....I am a GMC, not to come on here to get information on field training and not to act like I know everything. By ther way, how are those flying lessons going. I can help you out if you need some advice for the check ride.

Guest STLCFII

All I can say is a group of brand new private pilots + no training for what they want to do + focusing on filming rather than flying + dash of stupidity = A BAD DAY for the people on the ground that they hit! By the way flynwithstyle, I wouldn't exactly say that them auguring in opens up more pilots slots. The AF would probably never take them anyways due to their lack of judgement and responsibility. I'd hate to be their CFI when he/she gets a call from the FAA asking what they were taught. Are the lines, "A Student Pilot license is a license to learn, a Private License is one to kill" passing through anyone's head right now..... Just my thoughts!

[ 09. November 2004, 13:58: Message edited by: STLCFII ]

For those of you that don't know:

§ 91.111 Operating near other aircraft.

(a) No person may operate an aircraft so close to another aircraft as to create a collision hazard.

(B) No person may operate an aircraft in formation flight except by arrangement with the pilot in command of each aircraft in the formation.

© No person may operate an aircraft, carrying passengers for hire, in formation flight.

FSU Pilot,

My lessons this summer went well. That was Lopez before by the way, I was automatically logged in at the det. I got my PPL and I have 100 hours, so next time you want to talk trash about regs that don't exist talk to someone else. Find me a reg against form if all pilots agree in Class G and I'll buy you a 2005 Cessna Skyhawk. But otherwise good posts. You don't use names in forums, thus the name you have FSUPilot.

With love,

cb03t

Guest egovolo

Undoubtably this act of natural selection will attract some attention. Hopefully, it won't be from the NTSB. You local FSDO may call, citing VIDEO EVIDENCE of

1. careless and wreckless operation of an aircraft, as per 91.13

2. Operating too close too another aircraft 91.111

3. Performing intentional aeroabatic maneuvers without an approved parachute 91.307©

4. Exceeding limitations in the C172 POH 91.9

5. Depending on where you conduct it- 91.303

Formation during the day is one thing, but at night without experience is an unacceptable risk. Rate of closure (even at C172 speeds) is difficult to judge at night, due to decreased optic flow, the same reason most people tend to taxi faster at night during the day.

If you plan on flying as a civilian or military pilot, this one might be tough to explain to an interview panel or selection board if things go terribly wrong for you. Plus it makes everyones insurance premiums go up!

Guest futurpilot
Originally posted by cb03t:

FSU Pilot,

That was Lopez before by the way..... You don't use names in forums, thus the name you have FSUPilot.

With love,

cb03t

Funny how you don't practice what you preach...

Say, actually.....Why don't you make it more interesting and share a handle of bourbon or something before you take off, I mean, since you seem to have such a grasp on flying in your current, sober state. Apparantly you are able to handle anything the sky gods may throw at you now, why not mix things up a little?

This thread exhausted its usefullness long ago. Hopefully I don't catch the aftermath on CNN or in "Aviation Mishaps Quarterly" or some crap like that. Have a blast guys.

[ 09. November 2004, 15:49: Message edited by: PhlashNU04 ]

Guest I(HEART)PLANES
Originally posted by I(HEART)PLANES:

I just want to emphasize that we weren't planning on going up there like bafoons and disrespecting the laws of the sky. There isn't a reg against formation, and we wouldn't be screwing around. But I guess since no one is interested, I am out of luck... :(

I just want to make this clear that we weren't planning on being idiots, which is what you all assumed. You assumed something, and then argued about, when you dind't even know what had happened, or if anything might have happened. Clearly this has gone too far. I hereby end all 172 Rage talks, being that I am the one who started these horrific arguments. The bottom line is this. Can we fly form, by regulation? Yes, as long as pilots agree and we are in Class G. Can we fly form like idiots laughing and filming? Not a chance. I didn't think I had to clarify this.I wouldn't have thought of going up there and screwing around. You all act as if you have never been in a 172 and had someone take a few pictures outside. Then, you bring up a bunch of non-related regs. Relax! I apologize to all those who are involved in this, and I feel this has gone way to far.

Right on Chuckie

I guess that's why we get paid to fly and they don't. Unfortunately kids, the AF employs pilots who take risks to complete the mission, not pilots who take risks at the expense of the mission. Do me a favor and say "Hi" to those guys wearing the white surgical gloves and the blue raincoats with a yellow "NTSB" on the back.

HD

I can't believe this thread has continued for so long. But on a side note: I know an NTSB investigator, and SHE loves to take the Decathlon out and do aerobatics. It's kinda scary when she talks about every fatal Decathlon accident ever and how it happened as she finishes a loop. Maybe I'll get her to sweep up my ashes after finishing this video. You just gotta remember to toss the logbooks into the flames. :D