172 RAGE

Guest I(HEART)PLANES

Guest I(HEART)PLANES

Hey 172ers,

I was thinkin all of us REAL pilots could get together and make a video of yankin and bankin in a sweet 172. Yeah, we'd have to go and get some formation practices in before we film, but seriously, for real, we could make it awesome. We could sup it up with some masks and make the breathing sounds,, like we're about to GLOC, and then have some guys dress up as IPs and yell at us! Let me know if you are interested!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhiPsiViper

I think 172 "Rage" would be awesome project we can do some formation steep turns and maybe the tower will let us land in a military traffic pattern style. we can have the 172 taxi have some guy salute us as we taxi out. Have a debrief and go home. I think if A group gets together and does it will give tweet "rage" a run for its money .

Just a word of caution fellas,

Inexperienced pilots engaging in maneuvers they are not trained or qualified to do is a recipe for an accident. You can still make a video and have fun without endangering yourselves and others by attempting things such as "formation steep turns"!?

I know you guys are eager and confident in your piloting abilities, but PLEASE reconsider engaging in such activity. We all survived some stupid maneuvers when we were young and didn't know any better, but it involved some luck, and not all aviators survive long enough to mature.

My suggestion is this: Don't listen to some stupid airline pilot with almost 5000 hours in 51 different aircraft and two type ratings, ask some of the IP's on the board here what they think of your idea. (You're gonna get a much more emotional response than mine.)

Guest futurpilot

LOL, if anything it would be worth the laugh. It would be fun as hell for the pilots but i dont think anybody is going to be interested in coordinated S-turns......

Guest Aces-High

Yea, I don't think formation steep turns in 172s is that bright of an idea! Highwings aren't exactly made for formation flying especially in turns. My advice, don't do it!

Guest PhiPsiViper

I cant wait to start this project I have recruited some friends to fly with me. But I have to wait till they finish getting there Private License this month. I think we can do some serious turns and moves in some 172's. If anybody knows any web page were I can get some sound files for the film let me know.

P.S Dont be Hating on my Pilot skizillz

I(HEART)PLANES

I was thinkin all of us REAL pilots could get together and make a video of yankin and bankin in a sweet 172. Yeah, we'd have to go and get some formation practices in before we film, but seriously, for real, we could make it awesome.
FsuEagle

I cant wait to start this project I have recruited some friends to fly with me. But I have to wait till they finish getting there Private License this month. I think we can do some serious turns and moves in some 172's.
With your two super-mature and confident attitudes I'm sure we'll see you fellas in the "On the Record" portion of Flying Magazine real soon.

By the way, don't bother applying to the Air Force.

-------------

Wxpunk

[ 08. November 2004, 16:33: Message edited by: Wxpunk ]

The Mishap Pilot quoted: "Dont be hating on my Pilot skizillz"

Guys seriously, I know you think you know shit right now, but you need to run that idea through the good old ORM system. If you have not been training in any type of formation flying, you have no business doing it. Not to mention that you'll be busting a few FARs while you're at it.

Keep your asses alive for now, there will be plenty of formation for you in UPT.

HD

Guest I(HEART)PLANES

No, I think it will be sweet! I mean for real, don't start hating on my g14 classified project. When you all see it you'll wish you hadn't hated on me. I think me and FSUEagle are going to have some formation practice tonight. Maybe some night formation if we can squeeze it in. Let me know what you all think.

Guest futurpilot

yeah, sounds pretty lame. Better just wait till UPT before you go out and try to fingertip with some other new private pilot who thinks he's a hot shot.

Guest futurpilot

You sound like a 16 year old who just got his PPL and has no clue what he is talking about....but knows he "hearts" planes. So you come on here after watching EAGLE and Tweet rage and try to convince people that going up in a bug smasher and breaking every rule in the book will be cool. Get a clue.

And I have not an idea what you are talking about by calling me a "straight up jealous blonde boy."

Originally posted by FSUpilot:

You sound like a 16 year old who just got his PPL and has no clue what he is talking about....but knows he "hearts" planes. So you come on here after watching EAGLE and Tweet rage and try to convince people that going up in a bug smasher and breaking every rule in the book will be cool. Get a clue.

And I have not an idea what you are talking about by calling me a "straight up jealous blonde boy."

Ladies and gentlemen, please don't feed the trolls.

Guest NoseArtGal

I think those guys are just putting ya'll on... They're not seriously considering that. Are they?

Anybody have footage of that IP down at Laughlin from like 95 or 96? I may have the details fuzzy but as I recall....he was a T-37 IP and had his family (wife and little kid and some friends) out on a pontoon boat grilling out on Lake Amistad while he did a little airshow for them in his 172. But, instead of risking his life only...he chose to fly with one of his student buddies in the right seat and his girlfriend in the backseat. The girl was the daughter of the Chief of Safety at Laughlin I believe. Anyway, the family is filming him doing hammerheads and wingovers along the side of a cliff on the shore of the lake. I must admit, the first four or five of them were pretty impressive. By then his family was on video saying, "he's going to kill himself" and yet cheering him on. Of course, he hit the cliff on the next one and they filmed them crash and all die.

There are civilian aircraft out there that are pretty amazing for sure. But a 172 just isn't the machine to push the limits with. You don't have enough thrust or brake to get you out of trouble (I'm assuming...I've never really flown one) without even thinking of training and proficiency. Which is why I know you guys are kidding about actually doing that. But you had some guys going!

Guest goirishgo

i hate to rain on your little parade, BUT

FAR Part 61.113 states that for a private pilot,

"No aerobatic or formation flights are conducted"

better get used to following regs if you want to be in the air force...

Guest I(HEART)PLANES

Hey that's almost right:

FAR 61.113 Private pilot limitations. PIC

(d) A private pilot may act as pilot in command of an aircraft used in a passenger-carrying airlift sponsored by a charitable organization described in paragraph (d)(7) of this section, and for which the passengers make a donation to the organization, when the following requirements are met:

(1) The sponsor of the airlift notifies the FAA Flight Standards District Office with jurisdiction over the area concerned at least 7 days before the event and furnishes --

(i) A signed letter from the sponsor that shows the name of the sponsor, the purpose of the charitable event, the date and time of the event, and the location of the event; and

(ii) A photocopy of each pilot in command's pilot certificate, medical certificate, and logbook entries that show the pilot is current in accordance with §§61.56 and 61.57 of this part and has logged at least 200 hours of flight time.

(2) The flight is conducted from a public airport that is adequate for the aircraft to be used, or from another airport that has been approved by the FAA for the operation.

(3) No aerobatic or formation flights are conducted.

This reg is talking about flights for charity.

The reg applying to us states that formation flights are allowed in Class G airspace and if all pilots agree. But thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by NoseArtGal:

By then his family was on video saying, "he's going to kill himself" and yet cheering him on. Of course, he hit the cliff on the next one and they filmed them crash and all die.

I don't believe that the crash is actually on the video. The tape that I'm aware of has them doing the wingovers by the cliff on a different day prior (I don't know how long before...) to the flight on which they crashed and were killed.

Alls you have to do is take some time to carefully plan your flight with your wingman ahead of time. You can then call tower as a flight of however many and be on your merry way. You don't have to be that close to get good footage in a 172. I am gonna make a video pretty soon and I bet you guys will be impressed. No offense to the T-37 guys, but the Tweet Rage video didn't feature anything "difficult." In fact, I think that was the point. We should be able to mimc the flight pretty closely.

Guest flynwithstyle

Holy crap! I think someone is trying to get attention. If you crash, I'll feel bad however it opens up more pilot slots, so have at it.

Seriously no one is going to let you take out a plane and formation fly and you know it. But I guess that this is easier than peircing your *** for attention, and you did recieve some attention.