San Antonio

Champ Kind

Never been to San Antonio before...

Some buds & I are going out there later next week for our Brooks stuff, and I was wondering if I could tap into the vast experience of "good times" from everyone on the board to find out where a few young Lts can go around the city and the Riverwalk.

Any tips would be appreciated, since we have a limited time there and we want to do it right (sts)

Thanks a lot!

Guest C-21 Pilot

The Riverwalk is the best option. There are plenty of pubs, bars, restaurants there. Take a look at the TDY gouge area, and locate the bases in SA for further info.

While your there, tap a few Corona's for me.

You can't leave out Howl at the Moon. They have 'dueling pianos' and encourage singing along, however painful that may turn out to be. Usually a pretty good time, but IIRC Thurs-Sat is the only time they're open.

Guest lovelacm

Be sure to ask for a rental car... not sure if the boys from CAFB will take care of you on that while you're at Brooks or not. The folks at the 71RQS hooked me up back in '00 when I rolled through there.

Definately grab your buddies that you meet at MFS and HIT THE BAR after the day is done. You'll need to blow off some serious steam and lower your blood pressure.

Please drink a Margarita on the rocks, salted for us out here in the sandbox. We'll have a bottle of water in your honor!

Cheers!

Linda

Originally posted by Clearedhot:

Going back 15 years...

Dicks Last Resort was always a blast. There is an Irush Pub, O'Neill's? that was also a good time.

Are you thinking of Dirty Nellie's?

Also, as far as Howl at the Moon goes, get there early on Friday and tell them you're with one of the parties. Explanation: They give out these parties to people and they can bring 100 people with them. Basically it's just a way for them to get people in the door early, just say you met this girl/guy last night and they invited but you can't remember their name. You get in free (usually $8 or so) and get two tickets for 50 cent drinks, and they have free appetizers from Hard Rock Cafe. Plus you'll actually be able to get a table before the crowd gets there on the busiest night of the week. Good times!

Dirty Dick's is a good place to eat (if you don't mind being hassled or ignored by the staff). Unless you have too much money, just grab some nachos there and one or two drinks and move on. The nachos are easily a meal by themselves (lots of food no matter what you order) but the drinks are expensive. If you're AD, you can't get a car on your orders, just wait and see if some guys bring one, some will if they live close. Also, don't take the shuttle from the airport to Brooks, it takes forever, just take a cab.

Guest goirishgo

If you like good BBQ, Rudy's: the "worst BBQ in Texas" is a classic. They have a few locations.

If you like Mexican, check out Mi Tierra, it's downtown somewhere.

If you like to pay $5 for a bud light, drink at the riverwalk.

Oh you guys left out the best one: Polly Esthers! And Mad Dog's can be pretty clutch as well. Careful though, you never know what rank you might be dancing with. Both places are right across the river from from Howl at the Moon (which is where you should start). Mi Tierre is a good walk from the Riverwalk, but a quick cab ride and the food is well worth it. The bonus: it's open 24 hours. I spent three years at Randolph so the Riverwalk got old after a while (it's a big tourist trap), but I know it like the back of my hand. If you really want to know some quality places to go in San Antonio, you can PM me...

Guest emilyjoyau

Dick's Last Resort and Howl at the Moon are definitely a must!!! Howl at the Moon was the best time i think ive ever had a that kind of bar...the piano guys really put on a show!!! Have fun and good luck with the Brooks stuff, i did it back in July, its a blast let me tell ya! haha...WAR EAGLE!

Originally posted by Stud@ENJJPT:

Dirty Dick's is a good place to eat (if you don't mind being hassled or ignored by the staff).

Your thinking of Dick's Last Resort.

I would skip the river walk all together, but if you must: Dick's last resort is not all that great, the novelty wears off pretty quick. Dirty Nellies is fun, so is howl at the moon. Most of the places on the river walk are not that fun (I am a former local, so we avoided it like the plauge).

If you have a car I would take a drive out to New Braunfels/Greune (about 25 mins away). A great place to eat right on the New Braunfles river is the Grist Mill and then Greune Hall (oldest dance hall in Texas) is right next door and you can hear some great live Texas music. This may not be an option for you, but if you can a good time is to be had by all. Plus the beer is 2.25 not 5.00 and up.

Got back from Brooks today! Passed everything (WOOO!! Actually, everyone in our group passed, so that was awesome.)

Hit up all of the above locations, and I must say, we had a freakin BLAST. We rented a van and it ended up being about 30 bucks for each of us (5) for the trip, so that wasn't too bad at all. The people at Howl at the Moon loved us, don't know how many hundreds of dollars we spent in our group of 12 on alcohol. We beat the cover because we got in at like 2 minutes till eight, and there was no line. Spent about 3 or 4 hours there (lost track) Ate at Ritas and Mi Terra (best Mexican I've ever had) Polly Ester's was pretty dead, but still looked like a neat place. Hot, scantily-clad waitresses at Mad Dog's. Dirty Nelly's was a sweet Irish pub. ....probably others, just can't remember.

An awesome trip at the Air Force's expense (especially since we're cleared with Brooks now!), the first of many I hope. Thanks everyone for your advice on where to go, hopefully we did ya proud! (By the way, I made sure tip some Corona's for C-21 Driver and had many'a margarita for lovelacm!)

Glad to hear you had a good time...San Antonio rocks, spent three years there (not including basic training in 1981 and AFROTC camp in 1987) and would love to go back for my last assignment before retiring.

Cheers! M2