A real sensitive situation....

Guest Reallyconfused

Guest Reallyconfused

Hey y'all. I have a situation. I am in pilot training for a Guard heavy unit...and track select pretty soon. I have the opportunity to switch over to fighters, one unit is in the same state, another is in another state. I believe I would get hired by those two units to fly fighters, however, I have to have my unit agree to release me. How likely is this, and really, am I just going to end my career, and get released if I even try? I dont wanna piss anyone off too badly.

Thanks alot for any insights.

[ 02. August 2004, 20:28: Message edited by: Reallyconfused ]

Guest CameronW

I knew someone in UPT who started as a C-130 candidate, kicked *** in tweets, and ended up getting switched to the T-38 track at track select, as he had been picked up by an A-10 unit. I don't remember if he was Guard or Reserve, but based on what I've seen it isn't unheard of.

I would help you more, but I'm an Active Duty guy.

Good luck!

Cam

Guest wyrzykowskib

I was in a similar situation once. It all depends on where your unit is with their pilot numbers and the attitude of the leadership. There is nothing wrong with asking the question though. I think any commander would understand that.

If your loyalty lies with them (and I feel it should), tell them that... then explain your situation and desires. If the answer is no, or they seem overly reluctant.... salute smartly and head off to heavy training and enjoy a very rewarding flying career. Just my thoughts.

Guest jeff1234
Originally posted by Reallyconfused:

Hey y'all. I have a situation. I am in pilot training for a Guard heavy unit...and track select pretty soon. I have the opportunity to switch over to fighters, one unit is in the same state, another is in another state. I believe I would get hired by those two units to fly fighters, however, I have to have my unit agree to release me. How likely is this, and really, am I just going to end my career, and get released if I even try? I dont wanna piss anyone off too badly.

Thanks alot for any insights.

Before I throw in my .02 cents Im a little confused, did a unit approach you or are you "looking" for a fighter unit.

Guest Reallyconfused

Kind of a casual look on my part...Im doing well right now, and would fighter qualify. I fell in love with the hi-G stuff, and the fighter side of things. So now here I am. But there are two units that I know would take me, if I can get my unit to agree to let me go.

Guest tentoad

Confused

Congrats on doing well. We had this happen at our reserve unit, take the time to process this.

1. Call your ANG unit and explain the situation. I will wager your UPT SQ/CC has already done so. Be up front about it!!!

2. If you choose T-38's and discover your need for speed stops at .4 mach, you will be screwed.

3. Your ANG unit chose you (maybe your only chance at UPT???), is paying you and counting on you. If you leave them then they are still paying for you (granted school tour) while you pull G's for another unit while at UPT.

4. Perhaps find a cool guy sponsored by a fighter unit who is now looking for a heavy unit?

5. You can leave, but keep this in mind. You will always have a NOTAM out on you. Perhaps it will rear its head at an airline interview? "So, you are the guy who always jumps ship after being hired- have a good day..." Everyone that seems like you (school, referances, job history, friends) will forever be ignored by that unit.

I only say this as an observation of things I have seen from the other side.

Play this game smart man. Find a good alternative plan and sell it well.

Guest Reallyconfused

You make some good points there. The last thing I wanna do, is get my pilot slot yoinked.

The unit I work for just picked up a guy with a similar situation. He started out as a pilot select for a heavy unit. When drop time came, he was sitting at the top of his class in tweets. With a little help from his UPT squadron commander, and a little luck, he's now at IFF.

[ 05. August 2004, 20:02: Message edited by: Sierra Hotel ]

I understand being loyal to a unit that gave you an opportunity...that makes for a tough decision. However, it seems kind of sad to give up on the opportunity to do what you like and want to do (and are good at?). Just because of a little Charlie Sierra attitude out there...depends on your priorities I guess.

Guest tentoad

rooster

I simply outlined what I see from my side of the fence, not my opinions. It is sad that a guy took a sure heavy and found out he could have gotten a fighter had he applied through active duty or another unit. Thats the crummy thing about making commitments.

As for the Charlie Sierra thing I wont anticipate you understanding as you are AD. In the ANG and USAFR you dont have folks paid all the time. You have a budget (a small budget), and you make investments in people- its a different mentality and until you have lived it you cannot understand it.

My point is this, if the kid wants to change units then he should hustle and give his unit some cool options to choose from. They shouldnt have to sacrifice or work to his agenda since they have already handed him the sweetest of all deals- a commitment free ticket to UPT.

No arguments here. I don't understand much about the ANG and USAFR world. And it would be one sweet deal to get a slot in any ANG or AFR unit, one that I would be more than thankful for if I were in those shoes. It would be a very hard call to make. As for the Charlie Sierra...my personal opinion based on my very limited understanding of that world coupled with my general observations of human nature. My point was more that the decision should be based on loyalty and character not fear of reprisal.