NAS Whiting training info

Flare

Our functional confirmed last quarter that going there as IP was still a thing for USAF bros, not that any from our community would be going. As a former Whiting SNA/Stud most the USAF dudes seemed to enjoy it a ton. As student I regret nothing about going there, despite the lengthened timeline. 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:35 PM, flyusaf83 said:

I understood from my functional that this is no longer a thing, AF IPs at Whiting.

Your functional is either mis-informed or telling you the wrong thing on purpose. 

We still have AF guys coming to KNSE and it's still a good deal, as long as you don't mind flying twice a day and only checking email twice a week.  Got a couple bros outbound this cycle and last fall and new guys coming in to replace them as I type this.  And, guys are going to all squadrons again.  Shortly after I got here in 2011, they pulled all the AF guys to VT-3.  It simplified the admin for sure.  But now, they've started spreading the love to the other two squadrons again.  (Did a double take the other day when I saw an AF captain in VT2 colors.)

Really, the only down side I can think of about the assignment is that the base is really small and if you need actual AF support, you'll have to go elsewhere.  I had to drive to Eglin (about an hour and a half away) to get some dental work done that was more than a cleaning.  Also, the closest HARM is on main-side Pensacola and it's a pain to update your flight hours every month.  They have to hand-jam your flights line by line (the navy still uses logbooks...like an actual book where someone writes in it with pen) and I had several months where the enter key must have gotten stuck and ended up with months of duplicate flights which was, as you can guess, a pain in the ass to fix.  

All in all, if you want to have some high profile wing job that's going to strat you well on your OPR to have a good PRF, this assignment is probably not for you.  If you want a job where they give you an airplane every day and leadership trusts your judgment and leaves you alone to get the X, you need to get your ass down to FL.  

Edited by ARAMP1