NAS Whiting training info

Flare

Same as everywhere else. You hand in a dream sheet, AFPC sends down what they need filled, the IPs give their inputs, and STUCON pays the bill with the available students. If you want helos, let that be known ASAP because STUCON will have to find you one. If you want T-38s or T-1s, put it on your dream sheet, keep your mouth shut, and let the cards fall where they may.

We have a track select every Thursday. Check out the Track Selects thread for recent trends. I'd say chances are somewhat better of tracking -38s out of whiting, but that's just an opinion. The trade off is that most of your bros that start at AF UPT will probably have wings before you start advanced. Life is good here.

Maybe things have changed, but I know a lot of Whiting dudes who are easily a year behind their peers, even when including 6 month casual stints for their non-Whiting bros. Not saying Whiting is a bad deal by any means, but it is not unreasonable to consider the timeline effects.

Same as everywhere else. You hand in a dream sheet, AFPC sends down what they need filled, the IPs give their inputs, and STUCON pays the bill with the available students. If you want helos, let that be known ASAP because STUCON will have to find you one. If you want T-38s or T-1s, put it on your dream sheet, keep your mouth shut, and let the cards fall where they may.

Also, understand that if you get T-38s out of whiting, you may be behind when you start 38s at Vance. In most cases, you will not have flown for several months while your air force counterparts would have just finished their last T-6 flight when you join them. They have also done double the formation flights (a significant portion of the 38 syllabus) you had done at Whiting (unless the Whiting syllabus changed,) and have been flying under air force rules for six months. Can you catch up? Absolutely. Several Whiting guys end up at the top of their class at Vance. Just realize it is an extra hurdle for many.

Also, understand that if you get T-38s out of whiting, you may be behind when you start 38s at Vance. In most cases, you will not have flown for several months while your air force counterparts would have just finished their last T-6 flight when you join them. They have also done double the formation flights (a significant portion of the 38 syllabus) you had done at Whiting (unless the Whiting syllabus changed,) and have been flying under air force rules for six months. Can you catch up? Absolutely. Several Whiting guys end up at the top of their class at Vance. Just realize it is an extra hurdle for many.

Make no mistake- VT-3 is an AF squadron at a Navy base.

• 1 year later...

If you're going to NAS Whiting Field to train pilots with the Navy, it's the best flying I've ever done. A lot of practice fields to go to. A few different MOAs to use. Aerobatics over the beach is a win. Cross countries pretty much anywhere in the US (although VT3 put a 1200 mile limit after some Vegas shenanigans). A lot of VFR flying. The B model is awesome, but we don't use half the gucci stuff (HOTAS, A/A, A/G, etc). It took a little bit to get used to navy flying (gear down in the pattern, calling the 180, etc), but more of breaking AF habits.

I also pretty much always have my flight suit sleeves pushed up and only wear a callsign patch. Hell, I don't even know where my actual name patch is. I like to think I'm sticking it to the man. The true irony is that the man doesn't even care.

• Upvote 1

There is a reserve component but it's taking approx 6 months for the interservice transfer. And that's just for marines that are switching over to the Navy reserve. I don't know of any AF that have done it in the last couple years.

• Upvote 1

There is a reserve component but it's taking approx 6 months for the interservice transfer. And that's just for marines that are switching over to the Navy reserve. I don't know of any AF that have done it in the last couple years.

Squadron bro of mine is in process of switching from AF Reserve T-6s to Navy SELRES T-6Bs, but he's going to Corpus, not P-cola. Same deal though, much better town QOL wise and the aforementioned Navy flying/training culture. #winning. It helped him he was already current/qualified in the T-6 and thus the B model "qual course" is literally doing a couple of rides in the B and a NATOPS check. None of the formalized AF faggotry known as PIT, to be sure.

The Navy has their money problems to be sure, and I've heard some bullshit about Navy Reserves (Marines) doing individual involuntary mobilizations (fuck that shit), but all in all you can't beat some of the Navy locations.

It may be NAS Pensacola. It was just mentioned in passing that there was a T-6 to Florida somewhere and it was a possibility. I'm going to try and get more information tomorrow.

This should probably be in the Pensacola thread, but does anyone have insight into the nav training at P-Cola? Specifically the IP's point of view. Flying navigators around all day doesn't sound terribly interesting at first, but the area sounds awesome.

It may be NAS Pensacola. It was just mentioned in passing that there was a T-6 to Florida somewhere and it was a possibility. I'm going to try and get more information tomorrow.

This should probably be in the Pensacola thread, but does anyone have insight into the nav training at P-Cola? Specifically the IP's point of view. Flying navigators around all day doesn't sound terribly interesting at first, but the area sounds awesome.

If you do the CSO training you don't do the formation category at PIT. My buddy says it's a very laid back instructor gig. Not like upt 12 hr days.

Just got offered the possibility of flying at either Laughlin or Whiting (T-6). Being a prior Laughlin T-6 FAIP, I'm knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the base/syllabus/life style. Can anyone enlighten me on the Navy version of T-6 life?

careful sky_king

czecksikhs might not be informed on the recent version of this so called "good deal"

now that the T-34 is gone life is a lot different at whiting

you can expect to be scheduled to fly AT LEAST TWICE everyday

even as a second or third assignment guy because this place has no faips.

and its not all "loops over the beach"

there is no class system for the students and IPs

so as soon as your student solos...guess what

the next day you get a brand new kid and its back to square one

overall you fly about 85% early contact sorties 15% the rest of the syllabus

two civilians run all scheduling and they don't respect anyone and schedule you outside of your crew day all the time.

you really have to game the system to have any quality of life at all.

otherwise they just run you into the ground.

actual navy flying and rules are chill and ARAMP1 is right about how nobody gives two sh*ts about haircuts or uniform standards.

oh yeah one more thing

weekends are mandatory flying AT MINIMUM once a month

and you don't get monday off afterward

Edited by Chubbs

But....you live near the beach and don't deploy (unless it's an AEF tasking), right?

I live 45 minutes from P-cola beach. Some guys live right on it. I'd gladly live farther inland if I could find a place where my tools, cars, motorcycle doesn't rust. We still have guys deploying. I'm going to KAF this summer for a 179.

I went through NAS WF in one of the last classes before going to Mother Rucker. I'd go back in a heart beat as an IP despite double turns, triples sometimes, and flying weekends every now and again. The instructors have to get upgrades to do certain sortie types as far as I remember. When you get out of the FITU you can do all the contact/ Instrument stuff. I think you have to get upgrade training to fly the LL and Formation sorties.

I'm not understanding how this is even a question after hearing stories from friends that had to go through Del Rio. The P-Cola, Milton, Eglin area has a ton to offer as far as cheap fun goes when you aren't flying.

• Upvote 1

I'm not understanding how this is even a question after hearing stories from friends that had to go through Del Rio. The P-Cola, Milton, Eglin area has a ton to offer as far as cheap fun goes when you aren't flying.

..and better schools and dining and entertainment and access to medical services and airports and...well you get the point. I'd triple turn with a smile on my face in order to provide my family with that leg-up.

• Upvote 1

I passed along my interest in going there. Primarily, my daughter has a medical issue that would be minimally covered in Del Rio. Progression (hell, even promotion) isn't a big priority for me. Flying the T-6 again is though. We'll see how much traction it gets. I appreciate the input, guys. I have very little knowledge as to how the Navy training program goes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Are they still taking AF Instructors, I know the AF CC just left...

Yup. Got bros inbound for this summer/fall cycle, although they've cut the AF numbers here by a bunch.

Edited by ARAMP1

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, UDEL09 said:

Thread Revival:  Any recent quality of life gouge for the T-6 IP gig at Whiting as an Air Force guy?  Thanks for the replies! 

I understood from my functional that this is no longer a thing, AF IPs at Whiting.

Just now, flyusaf83 said:

I understood from my functional that this is no longer a thing, AF IPs at Whiting.

So our functional just sent this as an option for our Summer white jet bill. This is the first one I have seen drop to our community in the six years I have been on station.  I have heard of IP’s going there in the past but am having a hell of a time finding someone that has been stationed there in the last three years.

It's a thing.  No AF students are there, but AF IP's are there.  It's because at Vance (and I think Columbus) there are Navy IP's, as such there must be an equal(ish) number at Whiting.  Don't know anyone personally at Whiting but from what I've gathered most don't want to leave or come back to the AF.