T-38 landings

Guest x-wing

55 minutes ago, dream big said:

My 2nd or 3rd landing in the thing: came in several knots hot over the threshold in gusty winds, pulled power, the gear slammed on the pavement right at touchdown speed...my IP says: "well that's one way to kill energy...". Several years later, doing assaults in the 130 and little has changed.  

I also saw a dude land so hard the rivets popped out the top of the wing and the gear collapsed.

Jesus I was in high school when this thread started.

T-38 is fairly easy to land, it's just hard to land well.  They also used to fly a lot slower in the final turn...hence all the reading material in the "road to wings."  Just wait, AETC will get the TX and ACC won't want to buy it so we'll inherit C models and fly those for another 50 years as CTP and ADAIR.        

On 6/12/2017 at 10:05 AM, AZwildcat said:

Jesus I was in high school when this thread started.

T-38 is fairly easy to land, it's just hard to land well.  They also used to fly a lot slower in the final turn...hence all the reading material in the "road to wings."  Just wait, AETC will get the TX and ACC won't want to buy it so we'll inherit C models and fly those for another 50 years as CTP and ADAIR.        

Get back to work dude...Backseat night landings have just the right amount of "fuckit" involved for my taste.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DEVIL said:

Get back to work dude...Backseat night landings have just the right amount of "fuckit" involved for my taste.

You're mom said the same thing last night...

I should get back to work...these 5 hour days are grueling!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DEVIL said:

I thought I'd committed a murder/suicide one night in the back seat landing at Pensacola.  I'd rather eject than no-flap that thing at night from the backseat.

And of course, I'm the best fighter pilot you ever saw.

Edited by matmacwc

The student night landing, whilst you're in the trunk, is especially fun. Especially when there's no flare whatsoever. 

Cant count the number of times I looked over and expected to see the struts poking up through the wings.