Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Wg/CC stratted me top 5 percent.  MLR deemed me bottom 40 percent

2 of us from the Wing met the board.

This may be your trouble--whatever metric the Wing King used for "top 5%," you were really either #1 / 2 or #2 / 2 to the board.  Shitty system, I agree....

• 1 month later...
Major's board is complete. I'm aware the list has to be approved by the man, but any ideas when the results will be released?  

Go myPers and search "promotions". Somewhere in there will be a link for board status as it hits the review milestones. 3ish months generally. Any date given is just a shifting target.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Anyone have experience declining promotion or writing to a board to request non-selection?  I'm approaching the end of my active duty career and am trying to set myself up to get hired by ANG or AFRC.  Unfortunately, I am late-to-rate and stationed overseas so my O-5 IPZ board meets before either my UPT ADSC or DEROS expire.  I've heard that it is tough to get hired by ANG or AFRC as an O-5 so I'm looking at mitigation options.

I just read (CTRL+F'd) AFI36-2501 and declining seems to be fairly simple and doesn't appear to have any direct negative repercussions.  If this is true it seems to be a decent option for me but the tiny bit of Blue Kool-Aid left in my blood is making me feel like this could cheat someone who wants to stick around out of selection.

Experience, thoughts, ideas, spears?

Edited by GearMonkey

You seem to have the info you need. A letter to the board asking to not be promoted will, more likely than not, give you the result you want. It will make you ineligible for separation pay in almost all cases...see the AFI.

A promotion and pinning on does not carry an ADSC. But may have kept someone else off the list.

BL: do what you feel comfortable with.

• Upvote 1

Now showing "Mid January".  Is it normal for the target to shift that much?  But, hey, at least everyone didn't already have to wait a year longer than normal already.

Yes, my last board results shifted 2.5 months. It is very common, especially when the results span a substantial holiday period.

Anyone have experience declining promotion or writing to a board to request non-selection?  I'm approaching the end of my active duty career and am trying to set myself up to get hired by ANG or AFRC.  Unfortunately, I am late-to-rate and stationed overseas so my O-5 IPZ board meets before either my UPT ADSC or DEROS expire.  I've heard that it is tough to get hired by ANG or AFRC as an O-5 so I'm looking at mitigation options.

I just read (CTRL+F'd) AFI36-2501 and declining seems to be fairly simple and doesn't appear to have any direct negative repercussions.  If this is true it seems to be a decent option for me but the tiny bit of Blue Kool-Aid left in my blood is making me feel like this could cheat someone who wants to stick around out of selection.

Experience, thoughts, ideas, spears?

And finally, to the poster who asked about writing a do not promote me letter in some thread: my panel had several, some we honored, some we ignored...the ones with true humanitarian reasons were honored. The others were seen as "I quit!" whining, and if the record otherwise merited it, those folks got put on the promotion list. In this way, as we were instructed by Secaf, the Best Qualified got promoted...not just the best qualified of those that wanted it. Finally, senior raters were sometimes ignored: DPs didn't make the cut, etc

If you're planning to write a letter, tell your commander before your PRF is written.

Don't know your circumstances, but turning down lt col is a tough call...hope it works out for you!

Now showing "Mid January".  Is it normal for the target to shift that much?  But, hey, at least everyone didn't already have to wait a year longer than normal already.

Confirmed, what a bummer. Was hoping for a nice Christmas present. Should have known the AF would do that. 

Funny how this year's board met almost four months earlier than last years, but the results will only be a month earlier.  Based on increments for the current group, there will be some in the next with a very short wait for pin-on.

I know that isn't what you said, but I laughed anyway. :)

Lol...you're not far off!!! Lots of opinions. Lots of discussion for each and every split and unusual situation (DPs undergoing discipline, DNPs 5APZ with fantastic records and awards/decs and real leadership in the record, solid records with great combat experiences but mediocre SR strats, etc) .

So, yeah, kinda like that.

I guess i don't understand the logic behind a do-not-promote letter. there is no ADSC with the promotion, so take it and go to the Guard, or get out when you want anyway.

the idea is that getting passed over for promotion will allow one to separate from AD earlier than their current ADSC, and that getting hired by ARC units is easier as an O-3 than an O-4, O-4 than O-5, etc... where you'll just get promoted anyway without as much of the silly AD games.  

That, and getting a seniority number sooner rather than later can be huge for those so inclined.

Either way, it's indicative of how toxic AD AF is that pilots would consider writing a do-not-promote letter.  I wonder how much that happens at healthy organizations.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

True. But at the time, my opinion was the one that mattered...

Does the board look at fitness test records independently from the OPR? Could a person schedule a fitness test and fail it prior to meeting the board?

Being a Capt/Major would make it easier to get hired by the Guard. You'd just meet the next ROPMA and make O-4/O-5.

The board didn't see any fit test scores themselves...but we saw OPRs. But the ramifications of a failure after OPR closeout (lor, etc) could probably be referenced on the PRF if the SR wanted to.

Look, if folks are trying to get out prior to their ADSC by "failing to get promoted x2" there are many ways...but none of them reflect well on you to any audience.

• Upvote 3

Look, if folks are trying to get out prior to their ADSC by "failing to get promoted x2" there are many ways...but none of them reflect well on you to any audience.

I know several folks with families, jobs (ARC, airlines, and/or non-flying civilian organizations), and/or real graduate schools who would laugh at you for making that statement.  I guess that's not the audience you were thinking of. 

Not surprised that someone on a promotion board would think like you, though.  Speaks volumes. 

• Upvote 1

And finally, to the poster who asked about writing a do not promote me letter in some thread: my panel had several, some we honored, some we ignored...the ones with true humanitarian reasons were honored. The others were seen as "I quit!" whining, and if the record otherwise merited it, those folks got put on the promotion list. In this way, as we were instructed by Secaf, the Best Qualified got promoted...not just the best qualified of those that wanted it. Finally, senior raters were sometimes ignored: DPs didn't make the cut, etc

Please state reason?  I find this potentially concerning. 

• Upvote 1