Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Guest e3racing

Promotion and PRF Information

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, pawnman said:

This is something I'll never understand.  If 85% get a MAJCOM push, and we're promoting 75% of folks, how can it be seen as such a negative sign by the board?  Surely the guys in that top 15% got a DP and a school slot, right?

Curious to see this redacted PRF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Curious to see this redacted PRF

Back to work on Monday.  I've got nothing to hide, especially if it helps others avoid my fate.

I don't know if they're just pretending to care or if they actually care, but I have more leadership calling and texting me about my career now that I've been passed over than I ever did leading into my 2 BPZ/1 BPZ/IPZ boards.  Maybe if they'd shown that level of care and interest in my plans, my next duty title, next assignment a couple years ago, I'd be a Lt Col select now.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Back to work on Monday.  I've got nothing to hide, especially if it helps others avoid my fate.

I don't know if they're just pretending to care or if they actually care, but I have more leadership calling and texting me about my career now that I've been passed over than I ever did leading into my 2 BPZ/1 BPZ/IPZ boards.  Maybe if they'd shown that level of care and interest in my plans, my next duty title, next assignment a couple years ago, I'd be a Lt Col select now.


I hear ya on that. Sounds very familiar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised, here's a PRF that will NOT get you promoted.

I have not talked to AFPC or the WG/CC yet, so further analysis pending.  

SnipImage.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As promised, here's a PRF that will NOT get you promoted.
I have not talked to AFPC or the WG/CC yet, so further analysis pending.  
SnipImage.thumb.JPG.1de20087bd9e54fab34060ee06d25105.JPG
Thanks for sharing. I'm so screwed for my IPZ next year...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, pawnman.  Killer bottom line though.  That’s as good as it gets sans the DP check.  

 

Definitely was your lack of Strats in the capt/major area and it looks like the FGO and Maj Strats were a bit too late and probably the same year.  

Still, I think the AF did you dirty

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good record, sorry man.

With what info you provided,  I question the #12/71 O4s and #2/8 I/APZ...makes me think BPZ took the DPs from the Wing and not you. The WG/CC gambled. Look around to your 1&2BPZ competitors if you want to know, but know the past is unchanging. There are paths forward towards what you want, just make sure in pursuit of them to keep your options open as much as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

makes me think BPZ took the DPs from the Wing and not you. The WG/CC gambled. Look around to your 1&2BPZ competitors if you want to know

BPZs compete in a different pool...ipz/apz compete together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

BPZs compete in a different pool...ipz/apz compete together.

Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

Good record, sorry man.

With what info you provided,  I question the #12/71 O4s and #2/8 I/APZ...makes me think BPZ took the DPs from the Wing and not you. The WG/CC gambled. Look around to your 1&2BPZ competitors if you want to know, but know the past is unchanging. There are paths forward towards what you want, just make sure in pursuit of them to keep your options open as much as possible. 

Only two officers in my year group.  He didn't have ANY DPs and had to get one at the MLR for the #1 guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Sorry, pawnman.  Killer bottom line though.  That’s as good as it gets sans the DP check.  

 

Definitely was your lack of Strats in the capt/major area and it looks like the FGO and Maj Strats were a bit too late and probably the same year.  

Still, I think the AF did you dirty

 

One was my 2017 OPR, one was 2018 OPR.  I guess that means I can give up all hope of APZ, because I'm not going to go back in time to get CGO or Maj strats from those years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pawnman said:

I guess that means I can give up all hope of APZ.

Never give up hope.  Keep your head down, do your work as best you can, and keep doing the right thing by those under your authority and influence (yes those are two different things).  You can help those coming after you a LOT by going through what you’re going through.

I say this from 2APZ to O-5.  I PCS’d from where I got passed over, got a new SR who is worth his salt, and got a DP without even a full year in the seat.  I’ve got a line number to O-5 now.  Senior Raters know a good officer when they see one, and the current guidance is to promote good men/women.

It’s all about attitude.  Don’t give up, and definitely don’t draw your validation from the USAF’s bankrupt promotion system.  You have a LOT more to offer.  You’re not done yet.

FF

 

Edited by FourFans130
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pawnman, did not expect PRF to be that good.  Big blue 100% did you dirty.   This, to me, illustrates 2 things: 

- the inflation of strats in circulation right now.  #2/8 I/APZ is top 25 percent.  If promotion rate is 71 percent, how is that not good enough for promotion?  The answer is STRAT INFLATION out in the ranks.  Awful 

 

2.  A lot of strats in middle of C Zone that aren’t among rank, peer group.  Not saying that’s your fault, but it shows the important of CGO and O-4 strats vice position strats.   In any case, this PRF from my time as an exec esp with a Super P I would’ve bet a lot of money would’ve been picked up.   There must have been a ton of illegitimate Super Ps on the board this year and that diluted its power.   

It frustrates me you obviously have done a good job for our service for 14+ years, have checked all boxes, and they still did you wrong   It also makes me nervous for my IPZ Next year.  Hang in there amigo   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, celtic020 said:

Pawnman, did not expect PRF to be that good.  Big blue 100% did you dirty.   This, to me, illustrates 2 things: 

- the inflation of strats in circulation right now.  #2/8 I/APZ is top 25 percent.  If promotion rate is 71 percent, how is that not good enough for promotion?  The answer is STRAT INFLATION out in the ranks.  Awful 

 

2.  A lot of strats in middle of C Zone that aren’t among rank, peer group.  Not saying that’s your fault, but it shows the important of CGO and O-4 strats vice position strats.   In any case, this PRF from my time as an exec esp with a Super P I would’ve bet a lot of money would’ve been picked up.   There must have been a ton of illegitimate Super Ps on the board this year and that diluted its power.   

It frustrates me you obviously have done a good job for our service for 14+ years, have checked all boxes, and they still did you wrong   It also makes me nervous for my IPZ Next year.  Hang in there amigo   

 

I'm kind of over it.  I'll let y'all know what AFPC and the WG/CC say, but I've made my peace with being a major out to 22 years then retirement.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t agree with the super Ps because they aren’t equal   

  a super P from someone with only 2 ipz eligibles isn’t the same as a super P from someone with 100 eligibles.

 

also, devils advocate, but pawnman was 2/2 IPZ eligibles with a 75% promotion rate.  The 2/8 eligibles included 6 APZ guys, which doesn’t equate to 75% of the eligibles.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminder:  With the new prf format and categories this upcoming board is going to quite chaotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bennynova said:

I don’t agree with the super Ps because they aren’t equal   

  a super P from someone with only 2 ipz eligibles isn’t the same as a super P from someone with 100 eligibles.

 

also, devils advocate, but pawnman was 2/2 IPZ eligibles with a 75% promotion rate.  The 2/8 eligibles included 6 APZ guys, which doesn’t equate to 75% of the eligibles.   

Not much I could have done to increase the number of IPZ.  If the WG/CC had enough officers IPZ to give #1 a DP before the MLR, maybe I would have got one at the MLR.  Hard to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the fuck does that not get promoted.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I'm kind of over it.  I'll let y'all know what AFPC and the WG/CC say, but I've made my peace with being a major out to 22 years then retirement.

good for you pawnman. know your worth and don't let AFPC determine how you should feel about your honorable service. after retirement no one will care and you wont either...stings right now im sure, but you'll be just fine long run!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

good for you pawnman. know your worth and don't let AFPC determine how you should feel about your honorable service. after retirement no one will care and you wont either...stings right now im sure, but you'll be just fine long run!

We've got our fair share of Iron Majors in the B-1.  I'd say 95% are highly respected instructors, with years of experience.  Almost all are in the same boat as me...too valuable to let out of the community, not valuable enough to promote.  Almost every Lt Col in our community is someone who left the community in one capacity or another.  Maybe I should have volunteered for an ALO slot instead of notching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pawnman said:

As promised, here's a PRF that will NOT get you promoted.

I have not talked to AFPC or the WG/CC yet, so further analysis pending.  

SnipImage.JPG

No judging here...just curious. Did you complete ACSC or have any negative indicators? Barring anything unusual, I really hope this is a fluke and you get picked up next year. It seems to be a case study that they should examine regarding what needs to be fixed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, frog said:

No judging here...just curious. Did you complete ACSC or have any negative indicators? Barring anything unusual, I really hope this is a fluke and you get picked up next year. It seems to be a case study that they should examine regarding what needs to be fixed. 

ACSC complete, only negative indicator is that I've never left the community to do staff, never did instructor duty at PCola, never went ALO, and I didn't DG from SOS.  I even did a Master's, before they were masked on the board.

No LORs, no failed PT tests, no Q-2 or Q-3 check rides.

Edited by pawnman
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...