Baseops Forums
Guest navobd

Promotion and PRF Information

6 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Why do you need to retire as an O-5? O-4 isn’t too shabby.

Do what you want. If you want to 365 your way to an O-4 retirement, have at it.

The option is to do the same job in the Guard, have significantly less AD BS in your life and still make O-5 for a federal retirement (about $500/mo more in retirement). 

I think the 100% promote rate for all career fields to O-4 was a case of Fingers realizing he needed to retain pilots, but was unwilling to tell the on-rated types they’re not as important. We won’t go to 100% for all career fields to O-5, and Fingers doesn’t have the spine to call the baby ugly by going to 100% for just pilots.

They don’t think they need 100% to O-5...they know you can go to 24 as an O-4.

They don’t think they need 100% to O-5...they know you can go to 24 as an O-4.

They promote doctors to O-5 at damn near 100%. What’s the logic in that other than the increased paycheck aiding in retaining someone whose education and experience command a high salary in the private sector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, di1630 said:

100% correct.

It pains me to see people thinking feedback is the problem. If you receive honest feedback that you need to improve, you are not on the path and never were.

Honest feedback is reserved for counseling chosen ones on how to maintain their path.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Lots of folks make O-5 without being an HPO. All I wanted to know was where I went wrong in my career to not even be in the top 70% of my year group.

Personnaly, I don’t think that is an unreasonable ask.

I finally got the feedback I needed 15 and a half years into my career and it was the first time a senior officer had been bluntly honest with me about why things shook out the way they did.

Even the leaders that gave me the terrible push lines never told me why they gave me those push lines. They had an opportunity to explain what I had done wrong and what I could have done to not make the same mistakes in the future. Asking leaders to be accountable to their decisions is something that every organization should do and I hope the changes coming down the pipe force the AF to do that.

Break-break

Retiring as an O-4 isn’t bad at all. I thought about going guard/reserve but I want my retirement to begin the day I leave active duty, not when I am 58-60. It means moving more and possibly getting terrible jobs, but, it will only be as bad as I let it be especially since the rules of the game don’t apply to me anymore.

1 hour ago, 14N Guy said:

Retiring as an O-4 isn’t bad at all. I thought about going guard/reserve but I want my retirement to begin the day I leave active duty, not when I am 58-60. It means moving more and possibly getting terrible jobs, but, it will only be as bad as I let it be especially since the rules of the game don’t apply to me anymore.

You do realize you can still get a federal retirement starting at the time you hit 20yos while being in the Guard right?

Even the leaders that gave me the terrible push lines never told me why they gave me those push lines. They had an opportunity to explain what I had done wrong and what I could have done to not make the same mistakes in the future. Asking leaders to be accountable to their decisions is something that every organization should do and I hope the changes coming down the pipe force the AF to do that.

You’re making the assumption that those “leaders” intentionally gave you bad push lines, and not that they just didn’t know what they were doing. I’ve been amazed at the O-5’s, and even O-6’s, that have no clue how to take care of people...even Sq/CC’s. They probably got there because they had leaders who did know how to take care of them, but didn’t pass that knowledge along. When I got the news that I was twice passed over, the O-6, who was a former MSG/CC, said she had no idea what the process was because she had never seen an officer get passed over. It’s folks like us who actually know and understand the system, far better than many “leaders”. Of course we had to take our lumps to get that info...

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

I think the 100% promote rate for all career fields to O-4 was a case of Fingers realizing he needed to retain pilots, but was unwilling to tell the on-rated types they’re not as important. We won’t go to 100% for all career fields to O-5, and Fingers doesn’t have the spine to call the baby ugly by going to 100% for just pilots.

We'll see.  Gen Ray (AFGSC/CC) recently told us that the last Corona talked about breaking LAF into smaller competitive categories.  Could be a step towards changing promotion rates based on AFSC.

3 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

If you want to retire as an O-5, the Guard is hiring

Took the devil's money. I'm committed until I retire.

Took the devil's money. I'm committed until I retire.

Unless you’re twice passed over. If you decline continuation your bonus ADSC goes away.

22 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

Unless you’re twice passed over. If you decline continuation your bonus ADSC goes away.

Yeah, but then you have to pay back the unearned portion of the bonus - the kicker is that you pay back 100% of the unearned value, not the 75% you received after taxes. So it actually costs money out of your pocket to turn down continuation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

You do realize you can still get a federal retirement starting at the time you hit 20yos while being in the Guard right?

Yep. For me, there were no AGR positions open where I wanted to live.

1 hour ago, olevelo said:

You’re making the assumption that those “leaders” intentionally gave you bad push lines, and not that they just didn’t know what they were doing. I’ve been amazed at the O-5’s, and even O-6’s, that have no clue how to take care of people...even Sq/CC’s. They probably got there because they had leaders who did know how to take care of them, but didn’t pass that knowledge along. When I got the news that I was twice passed over, the O-6, who was a former MSG/CC, said she had no idea what the process was because she had never seen an officer get passed over. It’s folks like us who actually know and understand the system, far better than many “leaders”. Of course we had to take our lumps to get that info...

Valid points about leadership not understanding the boards language and lazy Wing staffs not doing their jobs

There was a lot that happened in my situation where I know they wrote the push lines exactly how they meant them. They wanted to send a message because we had butted heads multiple times. However,   they nevertheless told me why they wrote what they wrote; all i could do was go off my interpretation of the relationship.

3 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

The point of HPO is not to make O5.....

True. I’m agreeing with your point on feedback and I disagree with the AF on how it addresses feedback.

Yeah, but then you have to pay back the unearned portion of the bonus - the kicker is that you pay back 100% of the unearned value, not the 75% you received after taxes. So it actually costs money out of your pocket to turn down continuation.

You get it back on your taxes

Also, you can time your declination such that your sep date coincides with your bonus payment date.

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

You get it back on your taxes

Also, you can time your declination such that your sep date coincides with your bonus payment date.

My bonus date is pretty much equal to my retirement date... So...

There's precisely 2 of us at my base.  I'm not even sure what the cut-off is for the WG/CC to get a DP to hand out to us.  It's me and another flyer...at least I'm not competing with a sitting SQ/CC in the MSG for the DP this time around.

55% I believe. So 1.1 DPs rounded down to 1.0 and the carry over goes to the MLR. Hey the worst you can get is the “If I had one more,” so you should be good. That’s what I got.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Spaceballs said:

Pawnman,

How did your major board turn out? Or is that this year you’re running into these shenanigans?

I got promoted. So I'm between the bottom 75% and the bottom 90% of my year group. 

I did ACSC in correspondence.  I'm also working on a wing staff gig right now, so that should help.

At least I have several "SQ/CC next" and "IDE soonest" pushes on the more recent OPRs, along with a 17/164 FGOs from the WG/CC on my most recent OPR.

Edited by pawnman

4 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Please do explain. 

Or are you just referring to AGR?

13 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

Break-break

A backspace does wonders for removing double spacing between paragraphs. Then you aren't taking up the whole page.

Break Break

So there is nobody from the 05 year group on BODN? Thanks AF. I'm all by myself now.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

A backspace does wonders for removing double spacing between paragraphs. Then you aren't taking up the whole page.

Break Break

So there is nobody from the 05 year group on BODN? Thanks AF. I'm all by myself now.

Thanks

for

the

tip

Edited by 14N Guy
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Break Break

You and me, I guess.  I wonder how many LtCols they're looking to promote on our board... The rate should go up if they want to keep pace with the number from the 04 year group.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

You aren’t alone, but our numbers are scary thin.

Wheelz