Baseops Forums
Guest navobd

Promotion and PRF Information

Just now, Guardian said:

Ah. Makes sense. Interesting story. Want to exchange LOA stories over a beer?

Not sure it rates anything more than a Natty Lite.

I was going home early (for a year and a half at a sweet civilian grad school).  I had a bayonet for absolutely no good reason.  After my last convoy, in a fit of joy, I mounted it on my weapon and had people throw water bottles up while I tried to catch them.

Pictures were taken.

After I got on the plane home, some dudes got caught in some buffoonery of their own.  They thought if the turned me in, it would save their stripes.

48 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Not sure it rates anything more than a Natty Lite.

I was going home early (for a year and a half at a sweet civilian grad school).  I had a bayonet for absolutely no good reason.  After my last convoy, in a fit of joy, I mounted it on my weapon and had people throw water bottles up while I tried to catch them.

Pictures were taken.

After I got on the plane home, some dudes got caught in some buffoonery of their own.  They thought if the turned me in, it would save their stripes.

Holy shit.

LOA club checking in: do you guys have an exclamation point after 'you are hereby admonished'? Always thought that was rather comical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Day Man said:

Holy shit.

LOA club checking in: do you guys have an exclamation point after 'you are hereby admonished'? Always thought that was rather comical.

Screen shot or it never happened.  I'm sure leadership was more than happy to sink your ass.  I say that with all of the best intentions. If I were to guess, the guys who signed that LOA had minimal experience in the 17. Just a guess based on the WG and OG CC's I had in AMC/AETC.  

That’s what ADOs are for.

No more ADOs in the CAF.

I’m at a certain PACAF fighter base where every FGO in the OG is either a DO or CC, and we are sub-80% manned.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ram said:

No more ADOs in the CAF.

I’m at a certain PACAF fighter base where every FGO in the OG is either a DO or CC, and we are sub-80% manned.

Truth. It’s not just your base, it’s all of the bases. 

3 hours ago, Day Man said:

Holy shit.

Per the usual.  I think it has to be in there or it doesn’t hold up in court.

Holy shit.
My LOC and LOR both had them. Hard to keep a straight face reading it
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ram said:

No more ADOs in the CAF.

Checks. Our FTU just sent our last DO to school. He was a major from the '06 year group.

Checks. Our FTU just sent our last DO to school. He was a major from the '06 year group.

Wow, well I guess this will hit AFSOC soon enough.

Well, there are still ADOs.   They're just mid level captains nowadays.  Plus the SQ execs are Lts, so no need to study the jet or tactics. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, snoopyeast said:

Plus the SQ execs are Lts, so no need to study the jet or tactics. 

True story, although when you can’t do a steep turn without stalling because decreasing UPT/FTU syllabus gives us dudes without the simple things like a crosscheck...maybe tactics are a bridge too far. 

Anecdote: our weapons shop are all brand new LTs aside from the patch(es). Keeps it interesting. 

• Like 1

The other patches are all up exec-ing at the group and wing.    I've been TDY to three wings this year and all of them had a patch as the wing exec.   

• Like 1

The other patches are all up exec-ing at the group and wing.    I've been TDY to three wings this year and all of them had a patch as the wing exec.   

How does that qualify as their required tiered jobs? What a waste!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skitzo said:

Definitely doesn’t, but MAJCOM/A3 is apparently more worried about career progression on paper.

C7B15F71-A665-4C99-AB04-801290CF2B01.thumb.png.b90a119a78ba3889ba5ddb27f14b37ed.png

7 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

True story, although when you can’t do a steep turn without stalling because decreasing UPT/FTU syllabus gives us dudes without the simple things like a crosscheck...maybe tactics are a bridge too far. 

Anecdote: our weapons shop are all brand new LTs aside from the patch(es). Keeps it interesting. 

Hell, at least those LTs are learning something.

8 hours ago, snoopyeast said:

Well, there are still ADOs.   They're just mid level captains nowadays.  Plus the SQ execs are Lts, so no need to study the jet or tactics. 

For the love of god, can the CSAF just come out and straight up ban the use of a pilot as an executive officer and call it fraud, waste and abuse?  Go back to having MPF officers sit exec.  Heck they would do a better job.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, dream big said:

Go back to having MPF officers sit exec.  Heck they would do a better job.  

They were all RIF'd 6-9 years ago. True story...our section commander gave the AF the middle finger and became an armor officer in the Army...it worked out pretty well for him.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dream big said:

For the love of god, can the CSAF just come out and straight up ban the use of a pilot as an executive officer and call it fraud, waste and abuse?  Go back to having MPF officers sit exec.  Heck they would do a better job.  

I have a buddy at AFPC. Good luck finding officers or enlisted to do anything. We are short on officers period. Maintenance, cyber,  intel, medical, and the list goes on and on of career field shortages for officers. Why are we short? 70% of men and women ages 17-24 are ineligible to join right now because: out of shape; have medical issues; an arrest record; can't pass fitness test; do drugs; just can't pass the required aptitude tests; keep forcing the square peg into the round hole.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Skitzo said:

"WIC is a leadership schoolhouse disguised as a tactics course."

While I agree with that statement, Big Blue, according to how they promote and develop people, appears to believe that leaders come from Exec offices, not cockpits.  Therefore, your best tactical leadership should go to exec offices in order to get promoted.

Epic. Failure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WIC grads in exec positions is definitely NOT the standard in the CAF. Seems like a phenomenon only in the MAF.

Could it possibly be true that the old FWIC concept was unnecessarily watered-down by the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality when operators of every MDS got a seat at the table?

I mean, if your wing/MDS can spare target arms for non-W prefix work, doesn’t that make them superfluous?

(Yeah yeah, burn the witch...I know...)

• Like 1

It's not unheard of in Air Force Global Suck Command. One of my 16A bros is wing exec at KBAD right now. During my 6 years at Minot I saw it happen at least once, and I know another BUFF patch that volunteered to deploy from a Barksdale flying staff gig to the OIR MPC at the Deid in support of one of the Minot squadrons (at a time our OSS was struggling to find bodies). Dude's leadership told him "You can't go to be on the MPC, but you can go to be the 379th wing exec." 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ram said:

I mean, if your wing/MDS can spare target arms for non-W prefix work, doesn’t that make them superfluous?

That's the problem.  We can't spare them.  Strat-air focused leadership in the MAF seems to often under-appreciate the product they are getting in C-130 and C-17 WOs. 

Of course, none of us know what KC-135 patches do though, so you've got me there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

Of course, none of us know what KC-135 patches do though, so you've got me there.

They’re Wing and GO execs too...I know of at least 3. They also teach VTRAT, so there’s that... 

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I have a buddy at AFPC. Good luck finding officers or enlisted to do anything. We are short on officers period. Maintenance, cyber,  intel, medical, and the list goes on and on of career field shortages for officers. Why are we short? 70% of men and women ages 17-24 are ineligible to join right now because: out of shape; have medical issues; an arrest record; can't pass fitness test; do drugs; just can't pass the required aptitude tests; keep forcing the square peg into the round hole.

Don't forget that we forced a bunch of officers and enlisted out less than 5 years ago, and the younger dudes who watched that happen don't have a lot of faith the AF won't do it again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1