Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

4 hours ago, Duck said:

I heard they didn’t even have a continuation board on this round because the rate was so high. Can anybody confirm?

No confirmation here, I do know that I DIDN’T sign I to my blackboard account and attempt to complete my ACSC by correspondence.... 

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

I have a hard time believing that the Air Force wouldn't offer continuation to rated guys in the midst of a pilot manning crisis... But then, they've done dumber things.

Checks

14 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

I thought writing a do not promote letter disqualified you from involuntary separation pay.

It could, but I don’t remember. It would be pulled if they had a continuation board anyway. But Duck won’t know till he gets back to work what his letter states. 

I thought writing a do not promote letter disqualified you from involuntary separation pay.

The caveat is that if you caused your non-selection by correspondence to the board then you would not receive separation pay. The way they figure that out is by removing your letter and “re-boarding your PRF” to see if the outcome is different. For my first board I had a blank PRF so I am assuming that did more to cause my non-selection than my letter. For this board with no PRF, I don’t know how you would figure it out.

I do t think it matters.  Whether they had a a continuation board or not.... they aren't going to go be sep pay to anyone

likely, they selectively continued everyone without the need of a board.   Blanket continuation for everyone.   If they did not do that, then they are dumber than we all thoUght.  

• Like 1

I do t think it matters.  Whether they had a a continuation board or not.... they aren't going to go be sep pay to anyone

likely, they selectively continued everyone without the need of a board.   Blanket continuation for everyone.   If they did not do that, then they are dumber than we all thoUght.  

Yeah I agree. Can’t wait to sign the paperwork Monday.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rush said:

Long time listener, first time caller here. Not to drag out the 17D conversation, but I have some good gouge from some fairly reliable sources here in AMC. They're stating that SECAF went to Congress IOT explain the snafu w/ this board and that there's a list of about 200 personnel (cases) still in deliberation--said individual's SRs will have the "opportunity" to provide an explanation as to why they think these Airmen deserve O-4 given their records. So, it would appear that all isn't lost if you don't initially see your name on the list.

Can confirm (that this is happening, not the number it happened to).

Essentially, for these guys their name doesn't appear on either the promoted or not-promoted list, and your SR gets a letter from AF/A1 for you that states:

"1. You were recommended for promotion to major by the CY17D Major (LAF) Central Selection Board. Based on adverse information in your record, the Secretary of the Air Force has withheld your name from the promotion list. She has further directed initiation of a removal action via an Air Force From 4363, Record of Promotion Proprietary Action, to permit further review before determining whether you are qualified for promotion. You have the opportunity to provide comments on your behalf. The SecAF will make the final decision on whether to support or not support the nomination.

2. Public notification of the results of this board will take place on 19 Jun 18. Please work with your MAJCOM A1 staff to resolve this action."

The letter is dated 5 Jun. From those I've talked to, nobody received it before Friday. They received no guidance on what it means, how to respond, or any kind of timeline or deadline (or deadline for the determination). No details of if you are added back in do you keep your line number off the board or drop to the bottom, or if you are taken out if your six months (and this is your second board) is from the board release or from notification...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingGuy said:

Essentially, for these guys their name doesn't appear on either the promoted or not-promoted list, and your SR gets a letter from AF/A1 for you that states:

"1. You were recommended for promotion to major by the CY17D Major (LAF) Central Selection Board. Based on adverse information in your record, the Secretary of the Air Force has withheld your name from the promotion list. She has further directed initiation of a removal action via an Air Force From 4363, Record of Promotion Proprietary Action, to permit further review before determining whether you are qualified for promotion. You have the opportunity to provide comments on your behalf. The SecAF will make the final decision on whether to support or not support the nomination.

2. Public notification of the results of this board will take place on 19 Jun 18. Please work with your MAJCOM A1 staff to resolve this action."

The letter is dated 5 Jun. From those I've talked to, nobody received it before Friday. They received no guidance on what it means, how to respond, or any kind of timeline or deadline (or deadline for the determination). No details of if you are added back in do you keep your line number off the board or drop to the bottom, or if you are taken out if your six months (and this is your second board) is from the board release or from notification...

I’ve separated already but I’m watching this just to see if I got promoted anyway-I suspect I’m an easy kill remove for this one especially if mine was one of the 200 SRs have to “prove again.” 

“Hey SR justify why we should promote this guy” 

“Well he’s separated so....”

Normally as long as the board is >90 days from separation date they can’t remove your name just for separating, but this one is so different I wouldn’t put into past them. Although the OSD can do anything so I guess we will see. 

I would love to see what percentage of what persons with what sort of adverse information.

DUI / Article 15 as a Lt vs a year prior to the board?

It consistently amazes me the way the USAF talks about needing leaders who can predict 2nd and 3rd order effects vs the decisions that are made. Now, once again because we can’t do that, it erodes the confidence again in the institution.

We could have plainly said 100% promote to O-4 caveat for UIF / derog info.

Wish the aircrew pulse survey was still open. I would cite this.

Fire, Ready, Aim!

On 6/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, Duck said:

I don’t know yet about continuation. My Commander called me late Friday night. He said that a letter was supposed to be attached to the email he got about my passover but MPF forgot to attach it. He said we will talk Monday. Thanks again guys. I feel like I just won the lottery.

My wing commander on my second pass over was a real urethra and he a) waited until 1700 the day before public release to tell me (or rather, waited until 1700 to tell his exec to tell my squadron commander) and b) incorrectly informed me that I had been non-selected for continuation and would have to be out in 120 days. Same wing commander did my PRF for my third look and didn't realize until I told him that it was my third look. He wasn't a real conscientious guy. Don't worry though, he still made O-7.

You will probably be continued, but you can always decline it (just understand that while all of your ADSCs will go away, so will your GI Bill transfer benefits if you are still under the commitment for that).

I know I have to be separated by the last day of the 6th month, but would that be Nov or Dec? Someone told me it would be Nov based off the board being approved by OSD in May, but I thought it was from Notification.

1 hour ago, Skitzo said:

That was the exact guidance to SRs... 100% promotion opportunity. Those w/ negative QFIs required PRFs. Therein lies the problem, SRs were expected to do their due diligence in the process of scrubbing records and some didn't. 

10 minutes ago, Duck said:

I know I have to be separated by the last day of the 6th month, but would that be Nov or Dec? Someone told me it would be Nov based off the board being approved by OSD in May, but I thought it was from Notification.

Definitely not notification or public release. Pretty sure it's OSD but with this board, who knows? 

3 hours ago, Duck said:

USAF OPS NORMAL - Whichever way is worse for you

• Like 2

New lurker, new poster, trying to help straighten some things out.

AFI 36-3207
3.4. Officers Who Aren't Selected for Promotion. The DOS for officers not selected for promotion for the sec-ond time to the grade of captain, major, or lieutenant colonel normally falls no later than the last day of the 6th calendar month after the month in which the report of the board that considered them is approved. NOTE: This applies to officers twice not selected for promotion and selected for, but who decline, continuation on active duty.
3.4.1. The officers may request an earlier DOS once they know they weren't selected.
3.4.2. The MPF discharges regular officers and releases reserve officers from active duty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skitzo said:

I would love to see what percentage of what persons with what sort of adverse information.

DUI / Article 15 as a Lt vs a year prior to the board?

It consistently amazes me the way the USAF talks about needing leaders who can predict 2nd and 3rd order effects vs the decisions that are made. Now, once again because we can’t do that, it erodes the confidence again in the institution.

Wish the aircrew pulse survey was still open. I would cite this.

Fire, Ready, Aim!

Man, Fire, Ready, Aim! doesn't even do it justice.  If they were aiming after firing, I'd expect the next shot to be on target.

It's more like: fire, fire, fire, make a huge show out of adjusting the sights, fire, fire, complain about the target, fire, fire, complain about the equipment, and fire again.

Edited by pawnman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sooooo... I just got off the phone with Officer Promotions at AFPC and I was not offered continuation. Now I don’t know what’s next. What does that mean other than a mandatory Separation on 30 Nov?