Jump to content
Guest navobd

Promotion and PRF Information

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, dream big said:

While I agree with you, it is not up to someone else to tell me as a leader to be a f$&king man and give someone feedback to their face.  My old Sq/cc would rack and stack everyone, and wouldn't hesitate to tell someone they were his #99/99, why they were 99 and what they could do to fix it.

Dream...I wish that your experience was more of the norm. Unfortunately, in my experience leadership has typically passed the buck on making the call on many under-performers. I am not talking about individuals who force commanders to take action after a DUI/e-ticket/etc, but rather those who just aren't performing in the top 85% but do just enough to get by, legally. Does the CSAF still want those individuals promoted? To me it is obvious not to promote those with a UIF (though I know not all UIFs are equal) but it's not obvious what the Chief's expectations are in his latest comments.

My original comment was tongue-in-cheek...I've worked for some great commander's, many that I consider close confidantes a decade plus after I worked for them. One of which is lauded by many in this forum for his AF viral blog. The weakness I witnessed by each of them was to nip poor performance in the bud. Maybe I am a bit jaded, but I have a gut feeling that going forward without any regulated accountability, commanders will not "be a f$&king man" and choose the path of least resistance. How long was fire-wall fives a known problem? Everyone knew the right thing was to mark individuals down to truly depict many individuals records but the top 85% were firewalled! I expect the negative connotation to "be a man" and have an individual without a UIF or any obvious negative discriminators passed over, even if it's the right thing to do, will outweigh their decision to speak up. Just my .02, not how I would handle it, nor is is how I want it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Dream...I wish ...

OK, but now the promo game has changed for the next few years.  The man (or woman) to impress is the CC, not a board, at least til O-5.  We may see unit/aircraft performance become the leading indicator of leadership and promotion.  Records will still need good (enough) paper for O-5 and on, and for PSCing to that new boss.  I think it'll be an interesting period and a process that may stick around for more than 4 years/boards. 

What will be interesting is the outside pressures to keep people instead of letting them go.  

Out

Edited by disgruntledemployee
English, MFer, I can't spell it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... anybody have intel on if/when Congress might approve the O-4 promotion list for the 2008 YG?  The first batch is set to pin on "1 Oct or Senate confirmation, whichever is later."  

Edited by ColoradoAviator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dream big    131

Well, so much for “re-vitalizing the squadrons.”  An unidentified active duty Airlift Wing in Texas’s Wing Commander is still making 09 guys submit PRFs.  My exec bros are in on the weekend to edit the PRFs before his deadline...

He also has a new policy of limiting flying bullets on OPR to two per OPR, even for LTs.  What in the actual F@&$?  

I have to admit I have tried to be optimistic about these new changes, but for those of you who are beyond the point of reproach by the Air Force (Duck), you aren’t wrong.  There are deep rooted cultural issues in the Air Force and the one that upsets me the most is the lack of focus on getting metal in the sky and obsession with OPRs, records and careerism.  :bash:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matmacwc    1,093

AD airlift wing in TX?  I've been around the block a few times and I can't figure that one out.  SA is reserve.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BFM this    310
4 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

AD airlift wing in TX?  I've been around the block a few times and I can't figure that one out.  SA is reserve.  

West TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mcbush    88

But that would mean the CC in question is the same guy who was the least respected Sq/CC I've ever heard of... wait, yeah, that checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BashiChuni    249
3 hours ago, dream big said:

Well, so much for “re-vitalizing the squadrons.”  An unidentified active duty Airlift Wing in Texas’s Wing Commander is still making 09 guys submit PRFs.  My exec bros are in on the weekend to edit the PRFs before his deadline...

He also has a new policy of limiting flying bullets on OPR to two per OPR, even for LTs.  What in the actual F@&$?  

I have to admit I have tried to be optimistic about these new changes, but for those of you who are beyond the point of reproach by the Air Force (Duck), you aren’t wrong.  There are deep rooted cultural issues in the Air Force and the one that upsets me the most is the lack of focus on getting metal in the sky and obsession with OPRs, records and careerism.  :bash:

Goldfein should fire this guy on the spot for insubordination. 

Only that type of drastic action will move the needle. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookieRookie    99
8 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Goldfein should fire this guy on the spot for insubordination. 

Only that type of drastic action will move the needle. 

Checks. It won't happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×