Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, bennynova said:

I have. 

Pm me your email and I'll send you mine as an example if u like

I included things in the past 6 months that weren't reflected in my record yet.  

Main thing is dont whine or make excuses in the letter

Who told you this was a good idea? Is it the same person that told you it's a good idea to congratulate promotion selectees before the public release?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bennynova said:

discussion question:

which strat would you rather have on your PRF going into the MAJ to LtCol board?   #1/14 Majs.  or #1/14 FGOs 

and does the answer change if you are going into the LtCol to Col board?

Always take the broader category when able.  #1/xx FGO is better than #1/xx Maj or LtCol, even if xx is the same number.

32 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Always take the broader category when able.  #1/xx FGO is better than #1/xx Maj or LtCol, even if xx is the same number.

I think 1/15 lt cols is better than a "more broad" 1/19 FGOs, but maybe that's just me

I have heard that a strat in your rank is the best you can get.... even a major strat over an FGO strat for instance.  FGO strats are given more to lt col (s) who don't need major strats and aren't really in the mix for lt col strats yet 

I think 1/15 lt cols is better than a "more broad" 1/19 FGOs, but maybe that's just me

I have heard that a strat in your rank is the best you can get.... even a major strat over an FGO strat for instance.  FGO strats are given more to lt col (s) who don't need major strats and aren't really in the mix for lt col strats yet 

Well that's because a 1/15 Lt Col strat doesn't include a lower rank, whereas 1/19 FGOs does.  So it's not just you.

I may be stretching, but AFI 36-2406, paragraph 3.16.2.5.5.1 almost implies a hierarchy of strats in its sequence, which seems to support your thought...

3.16.2.5.5.1. Stratification based on peer comparisons: Peers (#1/10 Majors or #1/5 Captains); Peer Group (#1/10 FGOs or #1/10 CGOs); Duty Positions (#1/7 Action Officers, #1/7 Sq/CCs); Aggregate Groups (#1/50 officers in my Group; #1 of my 50 officers; #1 of 50 majors in my 20 years of service); Additional Qualifiers (#1/4 Force Support CGOs; Best Major in my 32 years); Recognition Level (Wing CGO/yr, #1/200). 

5 hours ago, Ho Lee Fuk said:

If you hold the low rank in the group (i.e. Lt in the CGO group, Maj in the FGO group), the strat is stronger if it's against the group because, as stated, it implies that you are outperforming officers of a higher rank.  The opposite is true if you hold the higher rank.  If you're a Lt Col, a Lt Col strat is generally stronger than an FGO strat  .....you're supposed to be outperforming Majors, so using a FGO strat for a Lt Col can give the impression that the rater is trying to make the strat look better by using a larger denominator.  Obviously there are exceptions.....if your rater rates on 10 Majs and you, the Lt Col, the only way he can strat you is in relation to FGOs.

The best strat for a Major is both strats.  A push line that reads "#1/15 Majs; #2/21 FGOs," is a legal, albeit roundabout way, to strat a Major against Lt Col's.  Board members know to read that line as "This guy is the best Major in the squadron, AND he's outperforming 5 out of the 6 Lt Col's in the squadron."  They will probably assume the Lt Col he's ranked behind is the DO if it's not explicitly stated, which it can be.

This.  Depending on where this strat is being placed (PRF or OPR), it could also be beneficial for the rater (or SR in the case of a PRF) to be even more blunt versus making the board "figure it out".  I've seen it worded this way before:  "1/X FGOs, ahead of X Lt Cols...."

• Upvote 1

Question: As a 1x passed over Captain, if they offer me Continuation, and I turn it down, IVSP is not paid out.

If they don't offer me Continuation, IVSP is paid out.

If they don't offer me Continuation, and I request an earlier DOS then the notification + 6 Months, is IVSP still paid out? There's a quip in the continuation reg that talks about it, but it would not apply to me because I never accepted Continuation right?

36-3207:

3.4. Officers Who Aren't Selected for Promotion. The DOS for officers not selected for promotion for the sec-ond time to the grade of captain, major, or lieutenant colonel normally falls no later than the last day of the 6th calendar month after the month in which the report of the board that considered them is approved. NOTE: This applies to officers twice not selected for promotion and selected for, but who decline, continuation on active duty.

3.4.1. The officers may request an earlier DOS once they know they weren't selected. 

Says below for already continued officers:

7.17. Terms For Involuntary Separation of Selectively Continued Officers. Consider officers for further continuation when continuation ends before an officer enters the retirement sanctuary or becomes eligible to retire. If an officer is not selected for further continuation, they will have at least 6 months notice before involuntary separation or discharge. Involuntarily separate officers who decline further continuation on the expiration of their current contract. If the officers request an earlier date of separation and receive approval under AFI 36-3207, Administrative Separation of Commissioned Officers, then the separation is voluntary and the officer does not receive separation pay. Officers identified for, or serving in a continued status, are subject to separation under other applicable laws and policies. 

Gracias!

While I think you are right on all accounts, it doesn't matter

you will either be promoted or you won't be (at which point you will be continued)

they arent going to pay to pay you to leave at this point.    So take the 20 year retirement as a captain as a blessing in disguise and go enjoy yourself and your family if you have one.    Or get out and do something better.   But you aren't getting sep pay IMO

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Duck said:

Ack, need some BO wisdom fast.

If you are in a re-qual program for your MWS, who writes your PRF? Gaining or losing unit? School house?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Depends who owns you on the accounting date.  Look it up on myPers for your board.

• Upvote 1

Assuming you are TDY enroute or performing duties at the school house while assigned to gaining/losing unit, it will be gaining/losing unit who will write your PRF and it will depend on the accounting date ^.

Oh yeahhhh

36-2501:

3.10. Effects of Nonselection for Promotion. Generally, officers not selected for promotion to captain through lieutenant colonel for the second time are separated in accordance with AFI 36- 3207, Separating Commissioned Officers, unless they:

3.10.1. Are retirement eligible or within 2 years of qualifying for retirement (i.e., in the sanctuary) as of the mandatory date of separation (DOS) established for officers twice nonselected for promotion by that board.

3.10.2. Are selected for continuation.

3.10.3. Have an earlier established DOS. 

36-3207

3.4. Officers Who Aren't Selected for Promotion. The DOS for officers not selected for promotion for the sec-ond time to the grade of captain, major, or lieutenant colonel normally falls no later than the last day of the 6th calendar month after the month in which the report of the board that considered them is approved. NOTE: This applies to officers twice not selected for promotion and selected for, but who decline, continuation on active duty.

3.4.1. The officers may request an earlier DOS once they know they weren't selected.

3.4.2. The MPF discharges regular officers and releases reserve officers from active duty. 

• Upvote 1

most twice passed over will be selectively continued at this point

Right, but you can decline continuation, which in turn releases you from any remaining ADSCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk