Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

1. do your best at flying, sq duties and checking the boxes

2. be the wing exec, or whoever the bosses know

BLUF: get a DP

These are not mutually exclusive. I like to bag on the AF as much as the next guy, but you can strike a balance. It just takes a halfway decent boss (I know, hard to come by these days), some long hours & prioritizing of your time, and yes, some luck and timing.

Exactly what do you think continuation is?

The Air Force giving you the option to stay on the payroll as an O-3 after being twice passed over for O-4. And if you decline their offer to stay on then you are out 6 months later without the separation pay.

I've just been hearing that twice passed over dudes have not been offered continuation lately and I believe there is also even a thread on here about getting passed over and likely not being offered continuation. Thank you for the heads up though. That certainly is one more ###### you on your way out.

<-----2003 year group 12S previous 12M double passed over. Masters, SOS in Res/Corr, 1Comm medal, 1 AF acheivement metal, 15 Air medals. I hope they don't offer me continuation. If they do, why should I accept it?

I started the non-continuation rumor. The AF will always offer pilots continuation. Anyone who accepts it as a Captain passed over to Major is an idiot.

Are you sure? I know of one who works like 6 hour days, does his work, gives no ###### and goes home. Aside from the pay differentials, there are worse things that could happen.

Are you sure? I know of one who works like 6 hour days, does his work, gives no ###### and goes home. Aside from the pay differentials, there are worse things that could happen.

Besides being stuck in a dead end career, assigned all the shitty jobs that nobody wants. Absolutely nothing.

There are better jobs on the outside that come with a fraction of the bs, or a different kind of bs.

I dunno, I don't think anybody is saying go to 20 as a continued O-3. I do think it's a decent free agency short term, especially if a flying gig. If a shitty gig comes out, 7 day opt and see ya later.

I agree, don't let the entitlement of feeling owed a 75K severance package deter you from making opportunities from shit sandwiches. Now, if you hate the airplane you're flying and the associated qweep duty of being an AF officer, then by all means punching is the best route.

I think some of the posters on here just aren't quite in love with what they're doing (read: airplane assignment) in the AF and getting the rug pulled from under them, a.k.a. denied invol-sep-pay, is like pouring salt on the wound. To those guys, nothing will make up for not getting to do what they wanted to do in the AF when they joined. I don't blame them one bit. Sometimes the dream to fly what you wanted and/or for how long as you wanted, is not in the cards (ask me how I know). But, be reassured, there's life after Blue.

I think some of the posters on here just aren't quite in love with what they're doing (read: airplane assignment) in the AF and getting the rug pulled from under them, a.k.a. denied invol-sep-pay, is like pouring salt on the wound. To those guys, nothing will make up for not getting to do what they wanted to do in the AF when they joined. I don't blame them one bit. Sometimes the dream to fly what you wanted and/or for how long as you wanted, is not in the cards (ask me how I know). But, be reassured, there's life after Blue.

Good points, but chalking things up to not loving your airplane assignment is rather simplistic view. Sometimes you want to get away from flying altogether.

Besides being stuck in a dead end career, assigned all the shitty jobs that nobody wants. Absolutely nothing.

There are better jobs on the outside that come with a fraction of the bs, or a different kind of bs.

We must have vastly different experiences because mine is polar opposite from what you're saying.

At Misawa, 6 of 10 F-16 pilots on the board were passed over. One stat that was interesting: 0 previous FAIPs were selected for promotion.

Edit: added base.

Edited by Jaded

Passing over 6/10 guys at Misawa compared to the overall 89% promotion rate is crazy. Any fighter pilot getting passed over for major at an ops base is mildly surprising and disappointing, but six?!? Was there something strange going on there, like a group of guys getting paperwork for something? The WG/CC's DP allocation alone should have prevented that unless he gave most the DPs to non-pilots. That sure won't help the fighter pilot shortage...

This is what I'm hoping for. Looking at the 2013 pay chart, you'd get $37,000 a year for life and never have to go to another job interview. That's more than enough to retire somewhere cheap and tropical in your early 40s if you're single.

This is what I'm hoping for. Looking at the 2013 pay chart, you'd get $37,000 a year for life and never have to go to another job interview. That's more than enough to retire somewhere cheap and tropical in your early 40s if you're single.

There are certainly other ways to recoup your retirement, specifically civil service or via a Reserve retirement (where you would most probably be able to make major btw). But the point is noted, having a 37K check a year is a very nice way of leveraging one's civilian employment income expectations from AD departure until civilian retirement. I certainly wouldn't scoff it.

All that said, for me it would come down to job satisfaction. You take me out of the flight line as a continued lifer O-3 then forget it, I'd punch.