Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

I supposedly pin on 1Nov....no way this list is approved by Senate by then, right?  Anyone know ROE if Senate approves mid-Nov?  First tranche of promotees pins on the next day or waits until 1st of the following month?  First world problems i know...but want to get the folks in from out of town for a ceremony...which is difficult with no firm pin-on date.   

1 hour ago, celtic020 said:

I supposedly pin on 1Nov....no way this list is approved by Senate by then, right?  Anyone know ROE if Senate approves mid-Nov?  First tranche of promotees pins on the next day or waits until 1st of the following month?  First world problems i know...but want to get the folks in from out of town for a ceremony...which is difficult with no firm pin-on date.   

https://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/one_item_and_teasers/nom_cmten.htm

You're in the waiting game.  I don't see the Air Force Lt Col list even on the list yet.  If you are a 1 Nov pin-on and the Senate delays past then, I'm pretty sure you pin-on the date that they approve it. 

VMPF and myper promotion sections should have the exact details on that ROE though.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, panchbarnes said:

MEMORANDUM FOR SECRETARIES OF THE MILITARY DEPARTMENTS

SUBJECT: Promotion Selection Board Guidance

This memorandum provides guidance for your use in preparing instructions (precepts) for promotion selection boards convened under your authority in accordance with title 10, United States Code.

As indicated in the National Defense Strategy, China is leveraging military modernization and predatory economics to coerce neighboring countries to reorder the Indo-Pacific region to their advantage. As China continues to seek economic and military ascendance, it will continue to pursue a military modernization program that tries to displace the United States to achieve global preeminence in the future.

Recognizing this challenge to U.S. National Security interests, the Department must grow an officer corps that includes strategists and leaders who excel in their knowledge of the political-military affairs and U.S. strategic interests in the Indo-Pacific region.

You are directed to review and revise promotion selection board precepts and convening orders, as applicable, to emphasize the importance of having senior leaders with Indo-Pacific region experiences. Provide copies of the revised documents to the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness. This memorandum will be effective for promotion selection boards convened on or after January 1, 2021.

This is actually pretty funny. My five most recent OPRs that met the most recent promo board were all from my time in Hawaii (those were actually my best OPRs in my career too...including a boarded position). Why do they even bother putting guidance like this out? The board never follows it.

Looking forward to going back to Hawaii in a few years, after retirement, and getting that sweet GS job and not dealing with this stuff ever again!

Edited by 14N Guy
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, war007afa said:

False. In the delay of the 2018 release, it went until 12 December. They pinned on two increments with no back pay provided the day the list was voted approved. 

you are correct. There is no back pay. I think it said it on MyPers. 

11 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Is there any new info given the senate is moving forward with SCOTUS pick?

No new info but reasonable to expect a delay given the SCOTUS nomination and the election timing.   However, SASC can "voice vote" whenever they please after President sends his concurrence over to the Senate....so it theoretically could happen at end of month.  Often times, they'll voice vote last day of the month for large lists.  

• Upvote 1

Continuation question, after reading many of the past few years' posts mentioning it.

Is there any reason not to take the continuation to 24 years if offered?  Let's say a person's ADSC had 12 months left, haven't taken any bonus yet, and they want to serve that 12 months as promised.  But then, at the end of their ADSC (& DEROS) they may potentially move on to other things such as Guard/Reserve, or alternatively may serve another 3 years AD and retire at 20, as long as the assignment is good.  If I understand correctly there's not a downside to opting for the 24 year option versus 20 year continuation.  The "person" could take the 24 year ADSC, yet still retire 4 years years from now at 20 years, or even still get out at the ADSC 12 months from now (16 years).

Does that check, or is something missing?

It isn’t an ADSC, bro. You can leave any time after you complete other ADSCs or even transfer ADSCs. If you decline...ADSCs don’t matter you’re out 6 months after the board stuff IAW the AFI.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

If 24 years works for you and your life situation, then sign the paperwork. ThreeHoler is correct, it’s not an ADSC, you can leave whenever you want. The purpose of Continuation is it provides you a path to obtain a full military retirement, once you fail to get promoted, that’s all. No one will be forcing you to stay the full 24, but it’s there if you want.

Yep, not continued but my ADSC was up in Nov '19.  Everyday past that was because I wanted to be there.  Felt like a weight off my shoulders (doubly so since I hit 20yrs in Jun '19).

Come PCS time got Stratcom as  LNO (basically) from 16AF...hard pass.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely no one should be staying in past 20 years.  (aDSC aside).   

we can all make more doing the same thing as a ctr, or go find a new career.    It’s fiscally irresponsible to pas up immediate pension!     You will NEVER make it back up, even by increasing rank and %Pay

• Like 1

So whatever happened with that innovative program to promote officers only focused on the flying track and not command track? Has it yielded in any meaningful results?
I think they already closed that experiment. Not sure what happened with the handful of people that went down that path
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

Also everyone realized they didn’t want to fly like a Lt when they were a 40 y/o passed over Major (deployments, triple turning, etc). 

The irony is I want to fly like that and it’s like pulling teeth to get on the schedule more. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, Homestar said:

Also everyone realized they didn’t want to fly like a Lt when they were a 40 y/o passed over Major (deployments, triple turning, etc). 

More so they added non-flying deployments to the list because they are "flying related."

• Upvote 1

My Wg/CC who isn't rated is holding my continuation paperwork hostage. I have no QFIs and received continuation from the board. 
The sticking point is the fact my training squadron is double billeting me in a non-flying role. I was going to be here until October 2021 for a 3 year tour if I didn't request to be placed on the VML after 2 years of being here anyway.
Sounds like the wing king  wants me off his books and to move over to a rated desk job or a flying position before signing the paperwork. I recently turned down a T-1 assignment because the plan was to send me to C-12s. Only flown herks and C-12s. Due to COVID-19, AFPC was like all we have are T-1s. I tried to work a PCA out of this place, but my functional was like that's a no go. 
I've read through the AFI and I can't recall where it says the Wg/CC can just not sign your continuation paperwork or negate to give it to you at all. I didn't receive a letter of non-selection for promotion and I didn't receive the continuation paperwork.
Seems like his staff are working an assignment, 365, or a PCA. I could use some old school advice from some of the old schoolers. Thanks.

Rated or not shouldn't matter. You should've been officially notified of your non selection NLT the public release by your commander, and it's why they get the results ahead of public release.

Just because the board continues you does not mean you have to accept continuation, and that drives a timeline for separation (I think it's 6 months after public release).

Not sure how the 5 year promotion window changes things though, it may push out all those timelines and affect how/when continuation is offered

1 hour ago, jazzdude said:

Not sure how the 5 year promotion window changes things though, it may push out all those timelines and affect how/when continuation is offered

Sorry, can’t help with the non-offering/holding back of continuation, but as far as the 5-year promotion window, I don’t think that will be a factor for a bit. I got an email from the WG/CC that says “the USAF is not implementing the 5-look window for officer promotions for at least the next two years.”

Which I guess means that now you only get three looks for promotion?  Your former in the zone and 1 & 2 above the zone; I’m tracking that the next O-5 board will look at 07, 06, and 05 year groups. 

*with the caveat that the board is not supposed to use year group/time in service/time in grade as a discriminator (ie there are no more zones, just three looks) but who knows if the board really follows that.