Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

3 hours ago, Bigred said:

Can't speak for the Army, but in the Navy it was virtually unheard of to promote BTZ. About 10 years ago there was ~5 guys that did select BTZ to O-4 and they all struggled and most failed to make the subsequent rank. I think there was 1 dude last year that was BTZ to O-4, so it's rare.

Making O-4 is the goal simply to be able to retire, the Navy has for years let O-4s get to 20.

For comparison, last year the Navy promoted ITZ at about 70% to O-4 and about 60% to O-5.

My understanding of the merit based reordering is that the decision on who goes where was made at the board. If Generals are bickering now about who goes where that's just absurd. Not saying it's not happening, it just defeats the intent of the FY-18 NDAA that authorized it.

The proposed FY21 NDAA takes it a step further, striking the "may" prioritize promotion lists based on merit and replacing it with "shall."

Can't speak for the Army, but in the Navy it was virtually unheard of to promote BTZ. About 10 years ago there was ~5 guys that did select BTZ to O-4 and they all struggled and most failed to make the subsequent rank. I think there was 1 dude last year that was BTZ to O-4, so it's rare.
Making O-4 is the goal simply to be able to retire, the Navy has for years let O-4s get to 20.
For comparison, last year the Navy promoted ITZ at about 70% to O-4 and about 60% to O-5.
My understanding of the merit based reordering is that the decision on who goes where was made at the board. If Generals are bickering now about who goes where that's just absurd. Not saying it's not happening, it just defeats the intent of the FY-18 NDAA that authorized it.

*Edit to add that my info is for pilots. 

Okay, that jives with my understanding for the naval aviators I knew/worked with. Thanks

For as messed up as the AF can be, I'm glad I'm here vs another service (from an "opportunity to get to retirement" perspective. Also, flying is awesome)

On 9/12/2020 at 1:27 AM, CaptainMorgan said:

That makes zero sense, so you’re probably right. Realistically, it doesn’t matter if you’re #1 or #69 and make it in the same month/increment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.  This isn't credible.  List should be ordered and sequenced according to order of merit before it begins its routing process.  In any case, it certainly doesn't warrant a long delay.  As someone else pointed out, they already rack and stack for order of merit at the board anyway.  Simply overlaying that on a spreadsheet with regard to pin-on time is not a drastic change and frankly it's a good change.  The only thing that is a little tricky is that the boards are now using the new functional categories and not racked and stacked in one big group.  This doesn't necessarily translate neatly into a single ordered list accounting for all categories.  Hypothetical example: the best weather officer in the year group with an impeccable record is ranked extremely high in his category....call it 10/250 in the Information Warfare Category.  How does that translate into the larger order of merit for the entire board?  In my mind, it's got to be proportionally weighted as a percentage and then plugged into a master x/### list accordingly since some categories have much more people in them -- candidly I'm unsure of how they're doing this.  But i gotta think this was done well before the list started its coordination process.  

4 hours ago, BigWing said:

Wow, actually some movement this week. It's with USD (P&R) as of the 16th. Looks like past board public release was ~2 weeks give or take from this point. 

Probably wait till week of 28 Sep at the earliest to avoid any overshadowing with the SSgt release next week. 

38 minutes ago, celtic020 said:

Have to imagine that will be really, really soon.  I got tipped off 2 weeks ahead of Public Release last year (obviously did not make it) 

Fun.  I was told the day prior to the public release.  And then because I have a common name, I spent the next day telling my bros that I did not, in fact, get promoted.

Question for the masses:  have an individual that has an award but no accompanying citation (nobody can find it).  Member up for promotion soon.  Anyone run into this?  Recommendations?

Have you checked in the member’s PRDA? If it’s not there, maybe contact award originator.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Question for the masses:  have an individual that has an award but no accompanying citation (nobody can find it).  Member up for promotion soon.  Anyone run into this?  Recommendations?

I’ve had two from CENTCOM that I had physical copies of and had to get uploaded manually by FSS, but I’m guessing that’s not the case for your guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, slc said:

Make sure the individual did ASBC, SOS in correspondence, SOS in residence(8 weeks), Masters, ACSC and plan the squadron Christmas party. Those should eliminate the award/medals/combat/deployed time and other “useless” data points for the board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Make sure the individual did ASBC, SOS in correspondence, SOS in residence(8 weeks), Masters, ACSC and plan the squadron Christmas party. Those should eliminate the award/medals/combat/deployed time and other “useless” data points for the board. 

Funny you mention ASBC. I was on leave visiting my wife at ASBC and decided to drag my hung-over self to the field to watch her flight play flicker ball (or whatever it was called). After a few minutes of me trying to figure out WTF was going on the ASBC Sq/CC walked over and started taking to me. He made it clear I had to go to ASBC after UPT and before the FTU or else I wouldn’t make Major “because the folks on my O-4 board would be ASBC grads and would notice the lack of PME.” The joke’s on him. I heard he was quietly showed the door as an O-5 and here I am as an O-4 that only went to Maxwell for SOS. Little victories.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

So about 2 more weeks until the AF affirms, again, that I am in the bottom 10% of all promotable O-4s? I was even forced to plan the SES Holiday party last year too, so hopefully the board took that into consideration.

I probably won’t actually find out until the list is publicly released since I have been mothballed to the CSA that the 14N’s send only the undesirables too.

Edited by 14N Guy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

So about 2 more weeks until the AF affirms, again, that I am in the bottom 10% of all promotable O-4s? I was even forced to plan the SES Holiday party last year too, so hopefully the board took that into consideration.

I probably won’t actually find out until the list is publicly released since I have been mothballed to the CSA that the 14N’s send only the undesirables too.

😂😂. they'll probably make the non-selects plan the 0-5 promotion party. 

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, dream big said:

Cool story, where did they hurt you? 

Multiple safety briefings about dumb shit.  So, you know, the usual.  Until they arrived, it was chill, briefings went fast (so back to drinking, golfing, whatever) and our instructors left us alone after class.

I'm not salty about it, got some good stories.  I mean, beer pong until 0200 on a Wed produces good stories.

During a career brief they also told the visiting Gen that the F-35 was a "bad jet" that our adversaries were already doing better, and one asked how they were going too get breakfast before out "exercise" if the chow halls were closed that early.  Most took zero feedback about being chill since "they had already been in the AF for 4 years."

If anything it showed me why the, "Why can't the AF treat us like adults," refrain from Amn/Lt's gets grating very quickly.

SOS was a lot better.  Same amount of drinking, less people, better food, less bullshit.  Plus I had pilots (A10, C17) in my class who fucking ruled.

• Upvote 1