Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

On 7/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, pawnman said:

When was that?  My year group had two people in it for the whole base, both B-1 guys... Me and a pilot.  Up north was similarly thin.  

94 year group and I went to school (ROKAF ACSC) in 2009

On 8/1/2019 at 9:19 PM, herkbum said:

Promos up to Maj (since all rated positions are Maj positions)-individual is recommended for promo and signed/submitted by SQ/CC to FSS. Promo then usually goes to JFHQ for state approval. JFHQ then sends to NGB for Fed Rec. Once Fed Rec approved, NGB sends promo order back down thru JFHQ to FSS and SQ/CC. This usually occurs monthly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Yes for PV- to include O-5...

For Ropma all our pilots (4/4)were picked up for O-5 in the recently released ANG board. 2 had pme done, 2 didn’t. The stats will posted at some point but I have a feeling the ANG will continue to promote non pme complete major pilots to O-5 for the foreseeable future. Very different story for AFRC/AD.

Edited by genie90

9 hours ago, genie90 said:

...but I have a feeling the ANG will continue to promote non pme complete major pilots to O-5 for the foreseeable future.

I'm banking on it!  🤞

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

I'm banking on it!  🤞

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of years.

Ultimately, it's up to your TAG.  I know a guy who made it to O-5 without SOS or ACSC because he wanted to be at a unit that can never fill spots.  Our previous TAG had a hard-on for PME, however the new TAG says no PME required for O-5 but you'll be going to ROPMA to make it happen.  I understand some states/units require guys to go to ROPMA (even for O-4) as a matter of practice, which I'll never understand why you'd willingly do that to your own people.  My base has always been; have PME, TIG requirements met, not a shitbag, promotion paperwork goes in.  We rarely have to force guys to ROPMA and the few I can think of were simply for not doing SOS orACSC.  Having prior-e time, waiting for ROPMA would have meant delaying my retirement 3 years, so ACSC was well worth the pain. 

10 hours ago, SocialD said:

I understand some states/units require guys to go to ROPMA (even for O-4) as a matter of practice, which I'll never understand why you'd willingly do that to your own people. 

At least in my corner of the ANG (primarily AGR unit) if you want to stay (retire) from the squadron ROPMA to O-4 is about the only way to make it happen. Roughly 20 O1-O4 slots narrow down into 5 05 billets (including the CC/DO). Makes force management a challenge or you promote yourself out of a job... 

22 hours ago, abmwaldo said:

At least in my corner of the ANG (primarily AGR unit) if you want to stay (retire) from the squadron ROPMA to O-4 is about the only way to make it happen. Roughly 20 O1-O4 slots narrow down into 5 05 billets (including the CC/DO). Makes force management a challenge or you promote yourself out of a job... 

Yup, I understand that.  I'm talking about squadrons, just like mine, that are forcing part-timers to ROPMA to O-4 then O-5, unless there a "chosen" one.  Maybe we're lucky in that our part timers tend to not hang around as squadron bums forever, but very few guys are forced to ROPMA for anything other than not doing PME.  One bases leadership looks at it as "paying your dues."  Then again they also have had numerous dudes leave to fly in the heavy squadron in their state while other said fuck it, I go find a non-flying gig...

Edited by SocialD

1 hour ago, Lifer said:

Considering taking continuation to 20 vs 24 years.

For those who took continuation to 20 did the AF offer continuation to 24 on the subsequent promotion boards?

Why limit yourself?  Assuming you don’t have other ADSCs you can walk at any time. 

• Upvote 1

You know what assume does... haha. I do have an ADSC that takes me to 20.5 YAS and I’d rather not commit to do an extra 6 months as a major 5 years from now if they will most likely offer continuation to 24 years after subsequent non-selections to O5. 

16 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

You get offered continuation once. Signing the documents sets a separation date.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

AFPC/DP2SPP just told me otherwise. They said that during 2017, 2018 and 2019 officers in a critical skill that initially took continuation to 20 were offered continuation to 24 after subsequent non-selections to O5. They said it changes year to year so there’s no guarantee that the AF will offer it next year but considering there’s a pilot shortage I may just risk it and only sign to 20. 

On 7/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, pawnman said:

As a result, I'm occupying a spot in a flying squadron manning doc, even though I'm working in the IG office.

That’s a trick the AF uses to show manning better than it is, it’s on purpose.

47 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

That’s a trick the AF uses to show manning better than it is, it’s on purpose.

I had to do the same but it was because the Wing IG position wasn't a flying position number so I had to stay on the squadron books otherwise I wasn't authorized to fly, get gates or flight pay. 

8 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

I had to do the same but it was because the Wing IG position wasn't a flying position number so I had to stay on the squadron books otherwise I wasn't authorized to fly, get gates or flight pay. 

Which would be fine, but then your SURF shows you just at a squadron level job instead of a wing level job.  Or in my case, squadron -> group -> squadron instead of squadron -> group -> wing.

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

Which would be fine, but then your SURF shows you just at a squadron level job instead of a wing level job.  Or in my case, squadron -> group -> squadron instead of squadron -> group -> wing.

I was told in my non select counseling (2018 board non select IPZ) that as long as the duty title itself says the level (Wg/Gp etc)  then what the surf says doesn't matter. Definitely request the feedback. 

We need to have about 10-20 General Officers go back and be Squadron Commanders again so they can understand how ed up everything is. O-6’s don’t even understand how jacked we are...how can you lead when you don’t understand what is wrong. It’s not even worth trying to explain it to them either, no one stays put in a position of power long enough to care.

Yeah, definitely get the feedback (why, I honestly have no idea),

~Bendy

• Upvote 1

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that captains were offered 20 year continuation.  Majors are offered up to 24 years.    The number is the MOST you can serve.   

The member can get out any time before that.  It’s not a commitment.   

56 minutes ago, Bender said:

We need to have about 10-20 General Officers go back and be Squadron Commanders again so they can understand how ed up everything is. O-6’s don’t even understand how jacked we are...how can you lead when you don’t understand what is wrong. It’s not even worth trying to explain it to them either, no one stays put in a position of power long enough to care.

Yeah, definitely get the feedback (why, I honestly have no idea),

~Bendy

My goal is to pass the feedback on to people who can still benefit from it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, pawnman said:

My goal is to pass the feedback on to people who can still benefit from it.

Good on you bro! You may actually learn something to benefit you for 1 above too. The percentages look terrible but I somehow made it 1 Above by having some stronger words in my bottom line. I didnt realize how poorly I'd written my own PRF and nobody in my chain took the time to change a single word of it. So basically my draft met the board last year. 

On 8/6/2019 at 4:36 PM, pawnman said:

Used this exact case to get A3 to allow the P prefix on the 87 AFSC. It’s horseshit it took us this long to get them to finally quit playing games and seeing things like this happen. Sorry, brother.