Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

3 hours ago, bennynova said:

Yeah, thanks.   Not many active duty guys are aware of this AGR option.....

how do we we learn more?  I did not know that the option existed.

Big picture is Title 10/Title 32 are AD orders.  AGR is generally Title 32, but deployments and some schools (maybe some staff) is Title 10.  Either way, these are AD “days” that go towards an AD retirement.  As soon as you have 20 years of AD “days,” you are eligible for retirement and immediate retirement benefits (vs. waiting like a traditional guard retirement).  Keep in mind, some squadrons are handing out years of AGR orders like candy, others are not.  So where you want to live/what unit you want to be in could be on either side of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

Duty titles could have mattered a bit too in this case

It means a lot. 

It was out of Pawnman's control but he should have had more breadth of experience and progression in responsibility.

For the young people reading this, continue to work hard but make sure your duty title is commensurate or exceeds your rank/TIR/TIS.  Know the key duty positions at each level of command as you progress in rank and you should be switching jobs about every 1.5 years.  As much as we like to think that if we just keep working hard our boss will take care of us, the truth is your careers needs to be actively managed (not backstabbing) by you and your boss.  Your boss's effort to take care of you depends on your performance, politics, favoritism, available resources, his moral compass and etc. 

No one in the military is ever too valuable to leave a position/unit/command.  We are all replaceable.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pawnman said:

Ours was a mandatory half up front.  And I don't have $60k laying around to buy my way out of active duty.

Plus, in all honesty, I like my job, I like my jet, I like my coworkers.  Sure, Big Blue took a dump on my career.  But that doesn't mean I want to leave my current situation.  I especially don't want to go ART and lose one weekend a month while still working during the week.

Repayment is not necessarily a given. My bonus didn’t have any up front cash options, but I separated 7 months after my annual payout anniversary and was told by finance as long as I had worked (earned) 50% of the bonus there would be no recoupment. 

They haven’t taken anything back yet....

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, brabus said:

Big picture is Title 10/Title 32 are AD orders.  AGR is generally Title 32, but deployments and some schools (maybe some staff) is Title 10.  Either way, these are AD “days” that go towards an AD retirement.  As soon as you have 20 years of AD “days,” you are eligible for retirement and immediate retirement benefits (vs. waiting like a traditional guard retirement).  Keep in mind, some squadrons are handing out years of AGR orders like candy, others are not.  So where you want to live/what unit you want to be in could be on either side of that.

Also, bear in mind an AGR job and a civilian job will be governed by USERRA laws which requires an employer ‘retain’ you as an employee.  While you serve on active duty orders, you still keep your civilian job **and accrue seniority** (for up to 5 years)

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ash said:

Repayment is not necessarily a given. My bonus didn’t have any up front cash options, but I separated 7 months after my annual payout anniversary and was told by finance as long as I had worked (earned) 50% of the bonus there would be no recoupment. 

They haven’t taken anything back yet....

Just wait until the VA gets involved in your life.  I know, apples and oranges , but not really, save it.

Wow I've had my head in the sand...I've been flying consistently for 13 years really enjoying it, deployments, IP, SEFE, signed a 3 year bonus, no FGO Strats IPZ coming up.  I've enjoyed my career, I briefly rushed a few Guard units when I was at my ADSC but then negotiated for my dream assignment.  If I pass the smell test is there any other hurdles to getting a guard/reserve job after getting passed over?

21 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

No comment on the money. That's your business how you run your personal finances.

As to the ART, can't believe they're still peddling that crap over an AGR, especially in this hiring environment. 307th clownshow standard. I see not much has changed since I left that dumpster fire.

They’re finally getting smart and converting a bunch of ART jobs to AGR. Miraculously, they now have RNs and EWs taking those spots!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ash said:

Also, bear in mind an AGR job and a civilian job will be governed by USERRA laws which requires an employer ‘retain’ you as an employee.  While you serve on active duty orders, you still keep your civilian job **and accrue seniority** (for up to 5 years)

And some orders are USERRA exempt, meaning you’ll get more than 5 years of building seniority...if you can stand to stay full time mil that long. 

The grass is so much greener...

Edited by brabus

49 minutes ago, brabus said:

And some orders are USERRA exempt, meaning you’ll get more than 5 years of building seniority...if you can stand to stay full time mil that long. 

Are there civilian jobs that are NOT pilot jobs where seniority matters?

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Your if statement is a major qualifier there.  Many of us can't even stand the thought of going on a 2 year order to get the big bonus.  This is why I'll never understand why the ANG didn't push for the 1 year big bonus, like the AFR was able to get.  Also, there are tons of USERRA exempt orders...up on the staff (no sts).  The same staff that has denied adding a few vital positions to the list of USERRA exempt status.  

As for the rest of this thread.  Having a boss who doesn't use the proper words, or not having the "right" medals/titles...what a fucked up system.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

Are there civilian jobs that are NOT pilot jobs where seniority matters?

I don’t know, general statement was made based off airline hiring. I get that doesn't apply to everyone. 

On 7/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, pawnman said:

Two MSMs.  Top two OPRs are the strongest ones, where I got the FGO/Maj strats.

Sounds fairly similar to my situation 10 years ago.  I worked my way into a staff gig so I'd have my PRF written there vs the tanker school house.  Worked according to plan, but I also believe I would not gotten the nod for Lt Col had I taken a 4th flying assignment.  Regardless of board instructions, the O-6s sitting on the board got there following a path, and that path doesn't look like a fly only track.  If you wind up there on purpose or held by your community, O-4 is most likely where you'll top out.     

11 hours ago, pawnman said:

ACSC complete, only negative indicator is that I've never left the community to do staff, never did instructor duty at PCola, never went ALO, and I didn't DG from SOS.  I even did a Master's, before they were masked on the board.

No LORs, no failed PT tests, no Q-2 or Q-3 check rides.

Bro, I don't know what's going on. Your PRF looked pretty darn good to me. I've got another 4 years until I'm IPZ for O-5, but I'm already debating if it's worth playing the game and hoping for the best or do what I want and focus on being a lethal pilot.

14 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

Bro, I don't know what's going on. Your PRF looked pretty darn good to me. I've got another 4 years until I'm IPZ for O-5, but I'm already debating if it's worth playing the game and hoping for the best or do what I want and focus on being a lethal pilot.

Being a lethal pilot and progressing in one’s career don’t HAVE to be mutually exclusive...yes one of those paths means flying less as you get older; but at the end of the day, don’t we want the “lethal pilots” being the ones in charge?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dream big said:

Being a lethal pilot and progressing in one’s career don’t HAVE to be mutually exclusive...yes one of those paths means flying less as you get older; but at the end of the day, don’t we want the “lethal pilots” being the ones in charge?  

One would think so.  We want the "lethal" officers on the line and the lethal ones from there who can (and want to) make the transition to operational and strategic levels to be in charge.  Hopefully breaking out the categories next year allows boards to make a more nuanced evaluation regarding who these folks are, rather than counting boxes checked and reading code that may or may not have been intentional.

41 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Not a single WSO has made O-5 in 4 years? How is that possible?

Won’t release your guys to staff when that is an assignment that is still a heavy discriminator on the promotion board. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

Won’t release your guys to staff when that is an assignment that is still a heavy discriminator on the promotion board. 

We have a winner.  Also, small sample size... Like six guys.  But one was a guy with a DP IPZ who got passed over.

50 minutes ago, pawnman said:

We have a winner.  Also, small sample size... Like six guys.  But one was a guy with a DP IPZ who got passed over.

Jesus...just reading this invokes -

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Wrong--some guys are getting "chosen" to go to staff, just not the ones who aren't.

Reference my post from last week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Wrong--some guys are getting "chosen" to go to staff, just not the ones who aren't.

Reference my post from last week.

Well, they keep removing people from the VML.  The ONLY people we've sent to staff in the last three years were people who went to school first.  I can't remember the last time someone left Dyess for staff without going to Maxwell first.

7 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Well, they keep removing people from the VML.  The ONLY people we've sent to staff in the last three years were people who went to school first.  I can't remember the last time someone left Dyess for staff without going to Maxwell first.

With fewer staff jobs being filled then they're going to go to those at the top.  Are you saying that in the last 3 years not 1 B-1 WSO in the AF who was a senior Captain/junior Major got sent to a staff job without going to IDE first?