Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

5 minutes ago, bennynova said:

I don’t agree with the super Ps because they aren’t equal   

a super P from someone with only 2 ipz eligibles isn’t the same as a super P from someone with 100 eligibles.

also, devils advocate, but pawnman was 2/2 IPZ eligibles with a 75% promotion rate.  The 2/8 eligibles included 6 APZ guys, which doesn’t equate to 75% of the eligibles.   

Not much I could have done to increase the number of IPZ.  If the WG/CC had enough officers IPZ to give #1 a DP before the MLR, maybe I would have got one at the MLR.  Hard to say.

56 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I'm kind of over it.  I'll let y'all know what AFPC and the WG/CC say, but I've made my peace with being a major out to 22 years then retirement.

good for you pawnman. know your worth and don't let AFPC determine how you should feel about your honorable service. after retirement no one will care and you wont either...stings right now im sure, but you'll be just fine long run!

29 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

good for you pawnman. know your worth and don't let AFPC determine how you should feel about your honorable service. after retirement no one will care and you wont either...stings right now im sure, but you'll be just fine long run!

We've got our fair share of Iron Majors in the B-1.  I'd say 95% are highly respected instructors, with years of experience.  Almost all are in the same boat as me...too valuable to let out of the community, not valuable enough to promote.  Almost every Lt Col in our community is someone who left the community in one capacity or another.  Maybe I should have volunteered for an ALO slot instead of notching it.

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

As promised, here's a PRF that will NOT get you promoted.

I have not talked to AFPC or the WG/CC yet, so further analysis pending.  

SnipImage.JPG

No judging here...just curious. Did you complete ACSC or have any negative indicators? Barring anything unusual, I really hope this is a fluke and you get picked up next year. It seems to be a case study that they should examine regarding what needs to be fixed. 

10 hours ago, frog said:

No judging here...just curious. Did you complete ACSC or have any negative indicators? Barring anything unusual, I really hope this is a fluke and you get picked up next year. It seems to be a case study that they should examine regarding what needs to be fixed. 

ACSC complete, only negative indicator is that I've never left the community to do staff, never did instructor duty at PCola, never went ALO, and I didn't DG from SOS.  I even did a Master's, before they were masked on the board.

No LORs, no failed PT tests, no Q-2 or Q-3 check rides.

Edited by pawnman
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I shake my head at this whole process.   It’s broken and will be screwed up for years.   We have done this to ourselves by sending mediocrity to personnel positions and allowing a CC core function to be subjected to this nonsense.  You seem like a good O.  Get the heck out and get a guard (not reserve) gig to finish.  You can make your mark somewhere else that appreciates your ability and dedication.  Don’t screw around trying to save it in the same environment.  Maybe look at an AGR gig to finish. There’s a lot of options out there...and they are not a step down. 

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

ACSC complete, only negative indicator is that I've never left the community to do staff, instructor duty at PCola, and I didn't DG from SOS.  I even did a Master's, before they were masked on the board.

No LORs, no failed PT tests, no Q-2 or Q-3 check rides.

For flyers on the VML.  Does your commander strat you in their ADP comments to the assignment team? 

59 minutes ago, brabus said:

Doesn’t Dyess have a reserve unit? Run!!!

Took the devil's money back when everyone and their brother was telling me I'd definitely get promoted.  Committed to 2027.  After that I plan to retire fully, not look for a Guard or Reserve job.

For flyers on the VML.  Does your commander strat you in their ADP comments to the assignment team? 

Talent Marketplace now, the losing commander gets some comments that we can't see.  Hasn't been applicable to me in the last four VMLs, because I was removed.  "Too critical to lose you from the FTU".

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

Took the devil's money back when everyone and their brother was telling me I'd definitely get promoted.  Committed to 2027. 

If you’re passed over again next year you’ll have the option to decline continuation. I’m not saying...just saying!

Gotta pay back any “unearned” portion of your bonus of course.  

Options are nice to have

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

Took the devil's money back when everyone and their brother was telling me I'd definitely get promoted.  Committed to 2027.  After that I plan to retire fully, not look for a Guard or Reserve job.

Talent Marketplace now, the losing commander gets some comments that we can't see.  Hasn't been applicable to me in the last four VMLs, because I was removed.  "Too critical to lose you from the FTU".

I thought the whole point of TM was to make things more transparent and remove commander comments a member couldnt see? 

2 hours ago, MooseClub said:

If you’re passed over again next year you’ll have the option to decline continuation. I’m not saying...just saying!

Gotta pay back any “unearned” portion of your bonus of course.  

Options are nice to have

Ours was a mandatory half up front.  And I don't have $60k laying around to buy my way out of active duty.

Plus, in all honesty, I like my job, I like my jet, I like my coworkers.  Sure, Big Blue took a dump on my career.  But that doesn't mean I want to leave my current situation.  I especially don't want to go ART and lose one weekend a month while still working during the week.

5 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Ours was a mandatory half up front.  And I don't have $60k laying around to buy my way out of active duty.

Plus, in all honesty, I like my job, I like my jet, I like my coworkers.  Sure, Big Blue took a dump on my career.  But that doesn't mean I want to leave my current situation.  I especially don't want to go ART and lose one weekend a month while still working during the week.

No comment on the money. That's your business how you run your personal finances.

As to the ART, can't believe they're still peddling that crap over an AGR, especially in this hiring environment. 307th clownshow standard. I see not much has changed since I left that dumpster fire.

You’re not delaying your retirement. If you take 5 years of AGR orders after punching at 15, you can retire at 20 years and 0 days with a full AD retirement. So the question is, why the fuck would anybody stay in AD if they had the aforementioned option available.

Now if you don’t go AGR and just do traditional guard, you can get 20 “good guard years,” which delays retirement benefits until 59, 60...something like that. Perhaps that’s what you’re thinking of. 

23 hours ago, pawnman said:

Only two officers in my year group.  He didn't have ANY DPs and had to get one at the MLR for the #1 guy.

IMO your SR was speeding on your PRF.  If your SR only had 2 IPZ and no DPs to give then the #1 guy's push would have said something like "If I had a DP to give then it would be automatic".  Your SR then competed at the MLR and got him a DP.  So your SR stating "If I had one more DP to give" is speeding since your SR never had a DP to give in the fist place.  The good news is the fact that your SR was trying to help you out...but I'm curious what your PRF (and the #1 guy's) looked like when it went up to the MLR.  Usually SRs call each other out on that stuff.

I would have to look at your top 2 or 3 OPRs to get better insight.  I would say you were definitely on the cusp and it sucks the luck was not on your side.  How many MSMs do you have?  As for the rest, I think you pretty much nailed it:  Not being on a staff and the lack of FGO strats hurt.

Good on you for having a positive attitude.  When you meet with your SR ask if there's anything you can do to get one of his DPs next year/be his #1 push at the MLR...his answer should tell you a lot.  Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

IMO your SR was speeding on your PRF.  If your SR only had 2 IPZ and no DPs to give then the #1 guy's push would have said something like "If I had a DP to give then it would be automatic".  Your SR then competed at the MLR and got him a DP.  So your SR stating "If I had one more DP to give" is speeding since your SR never had a DP to give in the fist place.  The good news is the fact that your SR was trying to help you out...but I'm curious what your PRF (and the #1 guy's) looked like when it went up to the MLR.  Usually SRs call each other out on that stuff.

I would have to look at your top 2 or 3 OPRs to get better insight.  I would say you were definitely on the cusp and it sucks the luck was not on your side.  How many MSMs do you have?  As for the rest, I think you pretty much nailed it:  Not being on a staff and the lack of FGO strats hurt.

Good on you for having a positive attitude.  When you meet with your SR ask if there's anything you can do to get one of his DPs next year/be his #1 push at the MLR...his answer should tell you a lot.  Good luck. 

Two MSMs.  Top two OPRs are the strongest ones, where I got the FGO/Maj strats.

35 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Duty titles could have mattered a bit too in this case

Ever a flt cc?  Ado?  

Absolutely great that you were stratted high the past 3 oprs, that should be all that matters

Flt/CC yes, ADO no.  I think that's probably part of the problem as well...I went from shop chief to flight commander at my ops squadron, then the FTU made me a flight commander followed by shop chief, then I went to OGV.  So that probably didn't do me any favors either.