Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

2 hours ago, Klepto said:

To make sure I’m tracking, word on the street is that we must push folks for “Sq/CC” as Majors and if we don’t (and it’s not consistent on their last 2 or 3 OPRs) they will not make Lt Col, regardless of other factors (strats, performance, IDE, etc)?

A BAD progression of pushes is not in and of itself a promotion killer, but it certainly affects a mid-grade record.  

There certainly is a secret decoder ring for all of this:

Strats:  looking for Strats in your rank, or as you get higher, Strats in your sq/cc title, etc

opr push lines:  a consistent message of school, sq/CC, and staff pushes is part of the equation.   Being pushed for a majcom or NAF staff is not a good thing. HAF is 70% of us. JT staff is top tier.  

PRF: it needs to match the OPR with those pushes.   

The verbiage of definitely promote is a message.  The check box of definitely promote is obviously the strongest message

a strat amongst board eligibles in PRF is also a message.

Edited by bennynova
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bennynova said:

Just to ensure we are all talking about the same thing, the question seemed to be if it was possible to both be non-selected for promotion in you IPZ year and at the same time being forced out before your first 1APZ board??

That was my question. I just reengaged with my friend, it seems that in their hasty review of the non-selection paperwork they made some poor assumptions about what it meant. I also did some digging into the AFI, and it looks like continuation becomes a player after your 1APZ. 

A BAD progression of pushes is not in and of itself a promotion killer, but it certainly affects a mid-grade record.  
There certainly is a secret decoder ring for all of this:
Strats:  looking for Strats in your rank, or as you get higher, Strats in your sq/cc title, etc
opr push lines:  a consistent message of school, sq/CC, and staff pushes is part of the equation.   Being pushed for a majcom or NAF staff is not a good thing. HAF is 70% of us. JT staff is top tier.  
PRF: it needs to match the OPR with those pushes.   
The verbiage of definitely promote is a message.  The check box of definitely promote is obviously the strongest message
a strat amongst board eligibles in PRF is also a message.

The sad thing is I have seen many commanders who don’t know this or don’t give a . I saw a “#2/xx FGOs” get a MAJCOM push because that was their vector (of which 85% get a MAJCOM vector).
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

only winning move is to not play!

good luck to those who still put up with the AF/AFPC shenanigans!

I hope you cash at the WSOP.

Edited:  People here are not very nice...

Edited by panchbarnes
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jrizzell said:

That was my question. I just reengaged with my friend, it seems that in their hasty review of the non-selection paperwork they made some poor assumptions about what it meant. I also did some digging into the AFI, and it looks like continuation becomes a player after your 1APZ. 

True. Continuation only comes into play once passed over a second time. First time passed over you won’t see that paperwork. It happens a second time....you’ve got some decisions to make. 

On 7/13/2019 at 12:21 AM, slc said:

You said it brother. It’s amazing that I can make O5 in the ARC and have no idea what a super P/double DP etc is!!

PRF/APZ/P/DP...it's like an entirely different language.

22 hours ago, NKAWTG said:

That's your signal to start hitting up guard units or polishing the resume.    

If this is the only "signal" you see, we don't want you.  

13 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

The sad thing is I have seen many commanders who don’t know this or don’t give a . I saw a “#2/xx FGOs” get a MAJCOM push because that was their vector (of which 85% get a MAJCOM vector).

This is something I'll never understand.  If 85% get a MAJCOM push, and we're promoting 75% of folks, how can it be seen as such a negative sign by the board?  Surely the guys in that top 15% got a DP and a school slot, right?

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

This is something I'll never understand.  If 85% get a MAJCOM push, and we're promoting 75% of folks, how can it be seen as such a negative sign by the board?  Surely the guys in that top 15% got a DP and a school slot, right?

The DT vector is used by assignment officers for placement.  The staff push on an OPR is another form of stratification.  Two separate processes that share the same name.  They don't have to agree, or even make sense.  

• Like 1

The DT vector is used by assignment officers for placement.  The staff push on an OPR is another form of stratification.  Two separate processes that share the same name.  They don't have to agree, or even make sense.  

Correct. But there are commanders out there that [wrongly] think they have to put your vector in the push line.

7 hours ago, pawnman said:

Curious to see this redacted PRF

45 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Curious to see this redacted PRF

Back to work on Monday.  I've got nothing to hide, especially if it helps others avoid my fate.

I don't know if they're just pretending to care or if they actually care, but I have more leadership calling and texting me about my career now that I've been passed over than I ever did leading into my 2 BPZ/1 BPZ/IPZ boards.  Maybe if they'd shown that level of care and interest in my plans, my next duty title, next assignment a couple years ago, I'd be a Lt Col select now.

• Upvote 5

Back to work on Monday.  I've got nothing to hide, especially if it helps others avoid my fate.

I don't know if they're just pretending to care or if they actually care, but I have more leadership calling and texting me about my career now that I've been passed over than I ever did leading into my 2 BPZ/1 BPZ/IPZ boards.  Maybe if they'd shown that level of care and interest in my plans, my next duty title, next assignment a couple years ago, I'd be a Lt Col select now.

I hear ya on that. Sounds very familiar...

Sorry, pawnman.  Killer bottom line though.  That’s as good as it gets sans the DP check.  

Definitely was your lack of Strats in the capt/major area and it looks like the FGO and Maj Strats were a bit too late and probably the same year.  

Still, I think the AF did you dirty

Good record, sorry man.

With what info you provided,  I question the #12/71 O4s and #2/8 I/APZ...makes me think BPZ took the DPs from the Wing and not you. The WG/CC gambled. Look around to your 1&2BPZ competitors if you want to know, but know the past is unchanging. There are paths forward towards what you want, just make sure in pursuit of them to keep your options open as much as possible. 

3 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

makes me think BPZ took the DPs from the Wing and not you. The WG/CC gambled. Look around to your 1&2BPZ competitors if you want to know

BPZs compete in a different pool...ipz/apz compete together.

24 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

Good record, sorry man.

With what info you provided,  I question the #12/71 O4s and #2/8 I/APZ...makes me think BPZ took the DPs from the Wing and not you. The WG/CC gambled. Look around to your 1&2BPZ competitors if you want to know, but know the past is unchanging. There are paths forward towards what you want, just make sure in pursuit of them to keep your options open as much as possible. 

Only two officers in my year group.  He didn't have ANY DPs and had to get one at the MLR for the #1 guy.

44 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Sorry, pawnman.  Killer bottom line though.  That’s as good as it gets sans the DP check.  

Definitely was your lack of Strats in the capt/major area and it looks like the FGO and Maj Strats were a bit too late and probably the same year.  

Still, I think the AF did you dirty

One was my 2017 OPR, one was 2018 OPR.  I guess that means I can give up all hope of APZ, because I'm not going to go back in time to get CGO or Maj strats from those years.

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

I guess that means I can give up all hope of APZ.

Never give up hope.  Keep your head down, do your work as best you can, and keep doing the right thing by those under your authority and influence (yes those are two different things).  You can help those coming after you a LOT by going through what you’re going through.

I say this from 2APZ to O-5.  I PCS’d from where I got passed over, got a new SR who is worth his salt, and got a DP without even a full year in the seat.  I’ve got a line number to O-5 now.  Senior Raters know a good officer when they see one, and the current guidance is to promote good men/women.

It’s all about attitude.  Don’t give up, and definitely don’t draw your validation from the USAF’s bankrupt promotion system.  You have a LOT more to offer.  You’re not done yet.

FF

Edited by FourFans130
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Pawnman, did not expect PRF to be that good.  Big blue 100% did you dirty.   This, to me, illustrates 2 things: 

- the inflation of strats in circulation right now.  #2/8 I/APZ is top 25 percent.  If promotion rate is 71 percent, how is that not good enough for promotion?  The answer is STRAT INFLATION out in the ranks.  Awful 

2.  A lot of strats in middle of C Zone that aren’t among rank, peer group.  Not saying that’s your fault, but it shows the important of CGO and O-4 strats vice position strats.   In any case, this PRF from my time as an exec esp with a Super P I would’ve bet a lot of money would’ve been picked up.   There must have been a ton of illegitimate Super Ps on the board this year and that diluted its power.   

It frustrates me you obviously have done a good job for our service for 14+ years, have checked all boxes, and they still did you wrong   It also makes me nervous for my IPZ Next year.  Hang in there amigo   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, celtic020 said:

Pawnman, did not expect PRF to be that good.  Big blue 100% did you dirty.   This, to me, illustrates 2 things: 

- the inflation of strats in circulation right now.  #2/8 I/APZ is top 25 percent.  If promotion rate is 71 percent, how is that not good enough for promotion?  The answer is STRAT INFLATION out in the ranks.  Awful 

2.  A lot of strats in middle of C Zone that aren’t among rank, peer group.  Not saying that’s your fault, but it shows the important of CGO and O-4 strats vice position strats.   In any case, this PRF from my time as an exec esp with a Super P I would’ve bet a lot of money would’ve been picked up.   There must have been a ton of illegitimate Super Ps on the board this year and that diluted its power.   

It frustrates me you obviously have done a good job for our service for 14+ years, have checked all boxes, and they still did you wrong   It also makes me nervous for my IPZ Next year.  Hang in there amigo   

I'm kind of over it.  I'll let y'all know what AFPC and the WG/CC say, but I've made my peace with being a major out to 22 years then retirement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t agree with the super Ps because they aren’t equal   

a super P from someone with only 2 ipz eligibles isn’t the same as a super P from someone with 100 eligibles.

also, devils advocate, but pawnman was 2/2 IPZ eligibles with a 75% promotion rate.  The 2/8 eligibles included 6 APZ guys, which doesn’t equate to 75% of the eligibles.